Towing with the 350 DRW

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Not quite as confidence inspiring as with the 450... Engine was plenty strong, as was the motor. trans was spot on. 3.73 gears ARE NOT 4.30s... I shifted into manual and kept it in 5, after the 10th downshift going up a hill... in 14 miles... flat ground, no worries. accelerates smooth, and shifts are crisp. I put it in TOW HAUL for a bit, then normal. I like normal better, and cannot think of a reason to use the tow haul button... Def needs a bit more powa before running in 6 on the highway at 75 with 17 K 5th wheel.... in 5th gear, she got 9.5 mpg if I kept it at 70...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Let it shift when it can who cares if it down shifts that's what its made for mine downshifts twice sometimes... Not a big deal that's what its made to do.

Not sure 430 would help that much since its mostly a hp thing

Talk to Shawn Ellerton about his torque 2.2 he pulls 20k plus regularly and said it helped

mortal798

Reaction score
Tow/Haul downshifts more quickly so that you get an engine braking effect. I use it when towing my camper sometimes, and sometimes normal.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
If you don't want to put it in manual mode if you just hit the "-" on the shifter you can lock out gears, so if you hit it once it will lock out 6th. I use tow haul mode because I like how it down shifts better when you are slowing down. I also like how it hangs on to the gear just a little longer. I usually only use it when I am towing at least 10K though.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Does it sag much in the back?
Not nearly as much as I thought that it would. The 450 would only drop an inch and a half with the same camper. The 350 only dropped 2 inches... She has overload springs, and they were def working...
Let it shift when it can who cares if it down shifts that's what its made for mine downshifts twice sometimes... Not a big deal that's what its made to do.

Not sure 430 would help that much since its mostly a hp thing

Talk to Shawn Ellerton about his torque 2.2 he pulls 20k plus regularly and said it helped
I'm just used to the 450 and never shifting, even at 55 mph with a load, up a 8-10% grade... LOL Don't get me wrong, I like the 3.73s for as much as I travel unloaded, and dropping to 5 is NOT a bad option. I just dont like that I cannot maintain a steady (within 2-3 mph) speed, in between hills... I'd rather run it in 5 and never downshift... Just me though.
Tow/Haul downshifts more quickly so that you get an engine braking effect. I use it when towing my camper sometimes, and sometimes normal.
Yeah, but this rig down shifts on cruise control, with no load, and not in TOW HAUL... IMO Tow Haul is not needed, unless someone can tell me that there is a mechanical benefit to running tow haul, or that not running tow haul is doing damage...
If you don't want to put it in manual mode if you just hit the "-" on the shifter you can lock out gears, so if you hit it once it will lock out 6th. I use tow haul mode because I like how it down shifts better when you are slowing down. I also like how it hangs on to the gear just a little longer. I usually only use it when I am towing at least 10K though.
I did not know that you could do that... I will give that a shot though. Our military trucks are set up like that.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
I got a 2012 dually with 373s. Race trailer is 38ft triaxle. I put a innovative diesel torque 2 inline chip in. Leave it on the 50hp setting. Everything else stock, doesn't regen anymore than it used to. I think you'd like it. It gives u that lil extra to hold the gears better.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Yeah, but this rig down shifts on cruise control, with no load, and not in TOW HAUL... IMO Tow Haul is not needed, unless someone can tell me that there is a mechanical benefit to running tow haul, or that not running tow haul is doing damage...

That surprising that it downshifts up hills empty unless I misunderstood.

Mine will take any hill empty with cruise on and never down shift. Even loaded, granted its only 7k-8klb, it won't down shift from 6th.

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
That surprising that it downshifts up hills empty unless I misunderstood.

Mine will take any hill empty with cruise on and never down shift. Even loaded, granted its only 7k-8klb, it won't down shift from 6th.

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

I meant down shifting on down hill slopes, on cruise control, so as to maintain the slower speed, rather than accelerate going down hill.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I got a 2012 dually with 373s. Race trailer is 38ft triaxle. I put a innovative diesel torque 2 inline chip in. Leave it on the 50hp setting. Everything else stock, doesn't regen anymore than it used to. I think you'd like it. It gives u that lil extra to hold the gears better.

I'm going to try the H&S for a bit, seeing as how I already have one, and if I still have issues, I will look further into what I can do to help.

It doesnt do bad, at all, really. I just got used to running the 450 with 4.30s and a bunch of torque... This thing is no weakling, by any stretch of the imagination. Ill let y'all know how it goes on the way back to FL with tuner...

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The green tunes aren't that great IMO. I ran them for a little while and got fed up with them.

Sent from my I fone 5

Dzchey21

Reaction score
They just like a little more rpm once I.figured out to just set the cruise and not pay attention to what the truck does I was way more comfortable with it. Stress free towing

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
They just like a little more rpm once I.figured out to just set the cruise and not pay attention to what the truck does I was way more comfortable with it. Stress free towing

They are def a bit more RPM happy. That is why I dont really mind putting it in 5 to tow heavy... I am UNLOADED waaaaay more than I am LOADED, and enjoy the 3.73s on the highway. I am def not looking to go back to 4.30s... But she sure could use a bit more uuumph....

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah I feel you but for a totally worry free not watching egts gauges Ect the truck does awesome

I have wondered if a mp-8/torque 2.2 would be just enough to keep it from shifting as much. Ellerton said it really helped the mid range power

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Yeah I feel you but for a totally worry free not watching egts gauges Ect the truck does awesome

I have wondered if a mp-8/torque 2.2 would be just enough to keep it from shifting as much. Ellerton said it really helped the mid range power

And it begins.... LOL I am not doing engine or turbo or fuel mods to this one. But a delete and a tuner.... Most likely going to happen...

Atsah

Reaction score
If you don't want to put it in manual mode if you just hit the "-" on the shifter you can lock out gears, so if you hit it once it will lock out 6th.

I didn't know that either.. I'll have to try that..

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Keep posting Corb. I have been debating. My brother just got rid of a 05 F350 that just was tuned and exhaust and said the 6.7 is a monster in comparison. He also said that he would take my 450 with the Innovative tune over his truck because of the low end. He still thinks I can run off and leave him with same weight trailers. I don't.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

TheBigNasty

Reaction score
I pulled my 38' fifth wheel back to Texas from NC last year and saw 5th gear very little. This was totally stock with 3.55's and 35x12.5 tires. It averaged 9.9mpg too. I honestly couldn't have been happier with the performance. It even left an lb7 duramax behind leaving a stoplight. I don't know how I'd feel getting left by a truck pulling an rv.:lame:

Now it's deleted and H&S tuned. Haven't pulled anything, but what a world of difference.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I didn't know that either.. I'll have to try that..

They def got thier **** together on that, you just click it down and can lock out the top gear you choose, so it will shift normal to whatever is on the dash its bad ass.

AND the manual mode actually works like a manual, it will stay in whatever gear you tell it to no matter what as long as the speed isnt to slow to basically stall the engine, ford def got that right considering how bad it was with the 5r, basically no control at all

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.