Tuning school

OSCS

Reaction score
Anyone have a good link or source to how people are Tunning the 7.3? Software used etc.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would say 90% of the guys out there tuning there own trucks and even others is running PHP software. I dont know if anyone still uses the Sniper software or not?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I would say 90% of the guys out there tuning there own trucks and even others is running PHP software. I dont know if anyone still uses the Sniper software or not?

Id say more than that. Every person I've talked to or heard of who tunes their own 7.3 use PHP.

OSCS

Reaction score
so im assuming the big tuners are running PHP software? any good links with beginner info?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Check out the php website. They have some info posted there for those interested in tuning their own rigs.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
so im assuming the big tuners are running PHP software? any good links with beginner info?

What kind of info are you looking for? The Minotaur software is what most major tuners use... If you are really wanting to learn when you buy the software bill offers a tuning class but it isn't cheap... On the PHP forum hey have a section of discussions about tuning using their software... If you are really serious about learning to use your truck there's a ton of hints and tips posted by all sorts of people but is scattered about thru the forums to will just need to search for threads by guys like 907dave,charles, Matt from gearhead, and a few others who frequent here who post some really great tuning info

Here's some stuff to read thru, not reall beginner stuff but I'm sure you can get some ideas here... And it looks like its $2200 for the Minotaur software and a class from bill to teach you how to tune

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/minotaur-automotive-tuning-software/

Last edited:

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I have yet to hear of any actual training classes happen. I bugged Bill for about 2 years and I believe there is just not enough hours in the day for everything he is wanting to do and capable of doing.

I'd be all over a tuning class in a heartbeat.
My Miniotaur and emulator are still sitting in boxes after 2 years, never figured out how to get started. :doh:

Shaw

Reaction score
Ive had Miniotaur for three years and Sniper for a year before that. Ive always had luck just reading PHP and Sniper forums and learning for my self. When you can't figure it out there are several people that are more then happy to help you. As for the class, like Jim I would be all over that too just to learn more about how the PCM works, not as much how to program. I like to figure out the programing by my self, this way you tend to do things a little different then every one else and you learn a lot that way.

I've always wanted to make a thread with a bunch of pictures of how I actually tune but i just never seem to have the time. It would be nice to get everyone's opinions on it and show people how easy it really is. This of course would put us more in line with the EFI live guys with sharing info.

Milford

Reaction score
Thos would be really cool to be able to do my own tuning and know what i am actually doing. I would be a little nervous learning it by application to my truck without a class. I dont want to be blowing things up

OSCS

Reaction score
Ive had Miniotaur for three years and Sniper for a year before that. Ive always had luck just reading PHP and Sniper forums and learning for my self. When you can't figure it out there are several people that are more then happy to help you. As for the class, like Jim I would be all over that too just to learn more about how the PCM works, not as much how to program. I like to figure out the programing by my self, this way you tend to do things a little different then every one else and you learn a lot that way.

I've always wanted to make a thread with a bunch of pictures of how I actually tune but i just never seem to have the time. It would be nice to get everyone's opinions on it and show people how easy it really is. This of course would put us more in line with the EFI live guys with sharing info.

shaw anytime you are willing to share what you've learned or just willing to divolge some basic information on the subject please feel free to
PM me. Im tired of relying on tuners that dont awnser there phones and waiting two weeks for a reburn, thanks in adavance.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I would say you have to devote at least 100 hours of seat time behind the computer in the truck learning and tweaking to get a good grasp on the tuning. I dont do it myself but i want to, i know there are sooooo many variables that need to be considered, you need a pretty intimate knowledge of all aspects of these engines before you even start to consider altering the electronic side of things.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
shaw anytime you are willing to share what you've learned or just willing to divolge some basic information on the subject please feel free to
PM me. Im tired of relying on tuners that dont awnser there phones and waiting two weeks for a reburn, thanks in adavance.

Same boat as you... Ive been waiting since Jan to get my idle tweaked....

Milford

Reaction score
I personanlly would lile just the simple ability to change things around on my tunes without having to change my tunes with a tuner taking 2 weeks. I would just be so happy to learn how to do it without the fear of shattering my connecting rods or toasting my BTS.

OSCS

Reaction score
I would say you have to devote at least 100 hours of seat time behind the computer in the truck learning and tweaking to get a good grasp on the tuning. I dont do it myself but i want to, i know there are sooooo many variables that need to be considered, you need a pretty intimate knowledge of all aspects of these engines before you even start to consider altering the electronic side of things.

yeah there are alot of things i still dont know but i want to learn

907DAVE

Reaction score
Just dont get stupid with it and you will be FINE!

And if you are curious what stupid looks like, just ask.

Latest posts

Members online