Tuning the 7.3 in current times

Arisley

Reaction score
Hard to find true custom tuning for the 7.3 nowadays. They sell them as custom, but most of them were made custom for somebodies truck 15 years ago and just sitting in a file now.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Nothing custom about my truck. So canned tunes I'm cool with

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Also I'm going with gearhead.

I ran them in 1 of my 6.0s and Holy shit was it amazing.

psduser1

Reaction score
I have had gh tunes for years on all my 7.3s. Tried php years ago, and I liked gh better. Maybe missing something with the other guys, but idgaf, these work, even canned. Not picky enough, I guess. Lol

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’ve had jelibuilt since the engine swap. Definitely good tunes and he helped me out when he definitely didn’t have to.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Will anyone still email files to burn to a TS? I have zero interest or use for a hydra and I’ve lost more then 1 TS chip mailing back and forth over the years.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I have had gh tunes for years on all my 7.3s. Tried php years ago, and I liked gh better. Maybe missing something with the other guys, but idgaf, these work, even canned. Not picky enough, I guess. Lol

I'm trying to decide what to run on my wife's 7.3 excursion and GH constantly crosses my mind... still has Hypertech programmer on it. lol. Just have to be careful because my wife has a hell of a heavy right foot. But it's at 182K and her immediate family has had it since 36K... just needs some updating.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I got my Tunes back and while I haven't put many miles on so far I'm not happy.

Also I requested my tunes be put on the chip in a certain order, something that I don't think is too hard. And that didn't happen.

psduser1

Reaction score

Also I requested my tunes be put on the chip in a certain order, something that I don't think is too hard. And that didn't happen.
That sucks. I'm waiting on a chip myself, we'll chip and pcm. Had a chip burned for this 02 ex I just bought, and there was a problem with them communicating, something involving the pats.
Anyway, my parts have been there too long, waiting on the tech guy. Apparently he's out for hernia surgery/recovery.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Not really - the parts are all complete with the exception of my custom solenoids. Going from memory we were at 430cc of fuel in 2.5ms on the bench I think...... or something close to that.
OK, that's to bad. But I understand that it takes time and a lot of cash for RnD. 430cc in 2.5ms is a lot of fuel fast. I am sure it's safe to assume 400% nozzles? Did you ever test 200% nozzles with the same set-up?

430cc in that time should be able to make North of 1000 on fuel easy with the right supporting mods.

The solenoids on the old 7.3 injectors could definitely use some updating. Slow is the word that describes them best.

psduser1

Reaction score

That sucks. I'm waiting on a chip myself, we'll chip and pcm. Had a chip burned for this 02 ex I just bought, and there was a problem with them communicating, something involving the pats.
Anyway, my parts have been there too long, waiting on the tech guy. Apparently he's out for hernia surgery/recovery.
Just got a call today, my pcm is in the mail. Should be all good!

psduser1

Reaction score
OK, that's to bad. But I understand that it takes time and a lot of cash for RnD. 430cc in 2.5ms is a lot of fuel fast. I am sure it's safe to assume 400% nozzles? Did you ever test 200% nozzles with the same set-up?

430cc in that time should be able to make North of 1000 on fuel easy with the right supporting mods.

The solenoids on the old 7.3 injectors could definitely use some updating. Slow is the word that describes them best.
At one time, there were stories of a %600 nozzle......

The idm also has a cycle speed limit, so no matter how fast the solenoid cycles, there is still that hurdle.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

I'd have to go back and look at my notes. I believe those were 400% tips and not the big custom drilled tips that we had for a while.... just not enough meat between the holes and they kept cracking - there is an off the shelf solution for that too, but it wasn't pursued - it really needs to be to make full use of what I have.

The had made prototype solenoid had 4 times the strength of the factory piece..... which it needed with my custom wound poppet springs..... lol

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

The idm also has a cycle speed limit, so no matter how fast the solenoid cycles, there is still that hurdle.

You're missing the point. With a fast enough injection event you don't run up into the duty cycle of the IDM. Make the injection even short enough and its a non-issue.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score

600% nozzles are big. I would think that they would make it hard to get a quality injection. Fast, but more of a garden hose affect. But what can I say. I have never tried it.

The IDM as it sits can handle 3 ms @4000 rpms and 2.6 I believe @4500 rpms, with Jason's Injector you could, with what he tested, have 430cc of fuel on tap at 4500 rpms. That could make some good power. 2.5 ms on a Common rail is a long injection event. In a heui it's fast for that amount of fuel.

We need injectors that can inject a lot of quality fuel fast. That the 7.3 biggest hangup.

A IDM that can send a stronger and faster signal then what is available would also help.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd have to go back and look at my notes. I believe those were 400% tips and not the big custom drilled tips that we had for a while.... just not enough meat between the holes and they kept cracking - there is an off the shelf solution for that too, but it wasn't pursued - it really needs to be to make full use of what I have.

The had made prototype solenoid had 4 times the strength of the factory piece..... which it needed with my custom wound poppet springs..... lol

Gotcha. With that amount of fuel in that time frame the atomization should be good for a HEUI hybrid injector.

What where you running for ICP to need that strong of a solenoid and poppet spring? Or am I missing something?

If I were rich I would help fund you on developing those injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.