Turbo Questions

50_shooter

Reaction score
I have read a lot about different peoples builds on here. I may be in the market for a turbo on my 14 this winter. I see there are a ton of choices for turbos, and I don't have a clue where to start.

I don't understand all the different numbers of turbos. I assume they are the sizes, but I am not familiar with sizing or how the sizing affects driveability.

What I want: A daily driveable 650 plus horsepower, that doesn't smoke much. I don't mind a puff when you go to pass someone, but the plume of black billowing smoke every time you touch the throttle is not my thing. Plus nobody else thinks its cute either. People are becoming less and less tolerant of it.

I want the power to come on smooth, not all or nothing. I have ridden in trucks that when you go to take off they smoke like hell and are doggy.

It has to be able to do some towing from time to time without getting red hot. I want it to last for more than 10k miles.

I know I'm gonna need a dual fueler. I have the deletes and mini max. I will probably have rods done too, depending on how much spare cash I have at the time. Knowing this, what turbo setup would you recommend? Remember 650+, driveability, and low smoke. Like I said, I am ignorant on what would be best. I would think vgt or a twin setup, but have no idea where to start.

dseitler

Reaction score
I have read a lot about different peoples builds on here. I may be in the market for a turbo on my 14 this winter. I see there are a ton of choices for turbos, and I don't have a clue where to start.

I don't understand all the different numbers of turbos. I assume they are the sizes, but I am not familiar with sizing or how the sizing affects driveability.

What I want: A daily driveable 650 plus horsepower, that doesn't smoke much. I don't mind a puff when you go to pass someone, but the plume of black billowing smoke every time you touch the throttle is not my thing. Plus nobody else thinks its cute either. People are becoming less and less tolerant of it.

I want the power to come on smooth, not all or nothing. I have ridden in trucks that when you go to take off they smoke like hell and are doggy.

It has to be able to do some towing from time to time without getting red hot. I want it to last for more than 10k miles.

I know I'm gonna need a dual fueler. I have the deletes and mini max. I will probably have rods done too, depending on how much spare cash I have at the time. Knowing this, what turbo setup would you recommend? Remember 650+, driveability, and low smoke. Like I said, I am ignorant on what would be best. I would think vgt or a twin setup, but have no idea where to start.

You are describing the exact path I am on. I have the same goals to achieve. You already won the biggest battle. You know what you want. I also do not want 9 MPG but I do want 8-10lbs of boost at 75 MPH. I am almost there? I feel I am real close. I am going to stay with the stock bottom end. I believe the early problems were do to tuning. There is people with a lot more experience than me to help you with that question. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you my mistakes.

jordan572

Reaction score
The H&S kit.

:whs:

I should have some solid pictures up of the kit tonight, this kit should spool very quick and still pull great through the entire band. It may have a smaller turbo them some other offerings, but great time was spent on this turbo around this specific platform. I'm beyond impressed so far by the fitment and quality of this kit, a billet wheels helps too....

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Beyond what Jordan said it is compound ready if you do choose to do compounds down the road...

jordan572

Reaction score
Anyone know when we'll see production kits from H&S?

I received the first H&S turbo kit last friday, the full blown production should be very soon. If you've waited this long hold out, nothing compares imo.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score

This is really what we were after with this system when we started this project two years ago. Spool up characteristic's of a vgt turbo with the performance of a fixed geometry turbo. That is why we basically had to make everything from turbine housing's, compressor wheel's and even some of the internal parts our self's for this turbo, because nothing "off the shelf" would do it all.... In our testing here, freeway driving and towing at lower rpm were one of the biggest performance items we were after in engineering this system. While keeping in mind this turbo had to still able to support 600+hp for the playing around times:) Were getting close....stay tuned.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
This is really what we were after with this system when we started this project two years ago. Spool up characteristic's of a vgt turbo with the performance of a fixed geometry turbo. That is why we basically had to make everything from turbine housing's, compressor wheel's and even some of the internal parts our self's for this turbo, because nothing "off the shelf" would do it all.... In our testing here, freeway driving and towing at lower rpm were one of the biggest performance items we were after in engineering this system. While keeping in mind this turbo had to still able to support 600+hp for the playing around times:) Were getting close....stay tuned.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410917841.836218.jpg

50_shooter

Reaction score

Getting close as in having it in production in less than a month or two, or will it be longer than that? Will rods be a recommended upgrade, or will it last on stock bottom end? This sounds like what I want.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Getting close as in having it in production in less than a month or two, or will it be longer than that? Will rods be a recommended upgrade, or will it last on stock bottom end? This sounds like what I want.

I don't know the exact date of release, but rods won't be needed. Bentley's truck has been running for a long time and has sprayed a decent amount of nitrous many times on a stock motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIu_loBkyU8

Last edited:

50_shooter

Reaction score
I don't know the exact date of release, but rods won't be needed. Bentley's truck has been running for a long time and has sprayed a decent amount of nitrous many times on a stock motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIu_loBkyU8

Wth is the blow torch on top of engine? Looks like it would melt the hood if it was down. Something to do with the nos?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Wth is the blow torch on top of engine? Looks like it would melt the hood if it was down. Something to do with the nos?

It is a wastegate with a large amount of nitrous....The point I was making is you are no where near needing rods with that turbo setup. Beyond that I don't really know where the line is.

Last edited:

50_shooter

Reaction score
Looks a little smokey in there...

Really, Nowhere near needing rods? Ive heard rumors of bending rods on a tune and delete, but that's what they were, rumors. I would love for some people to chime in that have popped a rod, and to tell the estimated hp they were at when it happened, and what they were doing. May do better as its own topic. I know doing a run on a dyno probably is easier on the engine that me beating it down the highway.

I said 650+ hp is where I wanna be, and zane said 600+ is what they are shooting for. I would be disappointed to put it together and end up with 550. In my experiences things are never quite as good as advertised. Not saying that's the way it would be. Im talking rwhp too. Ive seen that get confused before too.

I may be asking for unobtanium, when you figure the lack of smoke im looking for into the equation, I don't know. I've seen some badass 6.4's that didn't smoke a whole lot that had to be pushing 700 the way they pulled a sled. Don't know how they would work on the road though.

Last edited:

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
We made 608 with a s363 and h&s dual fuelers with our kit and it was smokeless and towed like a dream with some great tuning by Bentley

Latest posts

Members online