Twin compound setup

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts of a setup like this? I am thinking of an extended cab, remove the back seats and relocate the batteries back there. Maybe even add a nitrous tank back there too. I am thinking strait up race truck here. Any thoughts on turbo sizing? Injector sizing & conventional/hybrids? I've been on the look out for a good candidate truck for a project like this, passed up on a couple opportunities already, just need to find the right one.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
by twin compounds do you mean quads? Like the setup that MPD built on Nick's truck? Basically a set of compounds on each side of the engine

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Was this truck the 6.4 that was in Diesel Power mag? or was it a 6.0?

OK well I'll spit it out... I am thinking of adapting my 6.0.4 project to this idea. Relocate batteries, ditch the A/C, turn the exhaust manifolds around, fab an intake manifold (if even necessary). Exhaust each turbo out the wheel well. Throw some big injectors at it and then tweak until its maxed out. All using stock 6.4 turbo's (yes, I do have a hard-on for these turbo's).
My reasoning behind this idea is, because I know how these things act on my truck as is. Spooling up instantly and making boost without even trying. Maybe splitting them out would spool more like the stock 6.0 turbo, but would have a LOT more CFM for the top end.

shmoozer

Reaction score
It was a 6.4. I believe they used a set if turbos in the 50 something mm range and 60 something mm range. Maybe MPD will chime in with a little more info on their setup? I think it would be really interesting see if could pull this off.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
It was a 6.4. I believe they used a set if turbos in the 50 something mm range and 60 something mm range. Maybe MPD will chime in with a little more info on their setup? I think it would be really interesting see if could pull this off.

59's and 72's IIRC. s200's and s400's. It ran awesome

the chad

Reaction score
Josh is right, they were 59's and 72's. ran good, trans holding it different story lol. Def gunna need some fuel!

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Model: 174080B
LP Compressor
Inducer: 65mm
Exducer: 92mm

LP Turbine
Inducer: 80mm
Exducer: 73.5mm

Model: 174662
HP Compressor
Inducer: 52.5mm
Exducer: 74mm

HP Turbine
Inducer: 71mm
Exducer: 62.5mm

Maybe do the RCD 59 and 75 upgraded turbo's.... Lot of dough, but that would be sick. Am I crazy for thinking about this? Would this be feasible/practical?

shmoozer

Reaction score
I don't think that really matters. It's your truck and your project do what you like. You've already proved that 6.4 compounds can be made to run on a 6.0. Why not see if you can make 2 sets run!

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
What would be weird about it? the way they spool on my truck as is, is nutz. I could stand to loose some spool up for some more top end.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I'm just trying to picture how you would mount it all? Why stick with 6.4 compounds when you have many more available options?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I'm just trying to picture how you would mount it all? Why stick with 6.4 compounds when you have many more available options?

Simply $$'s

6.4 turbo's can be had for $500 or less.

Honestly i think mounting them would be simple, less piping to do because the turbo's are already bolted together.

Last edited:

OBS F350

Reaction score
Simply $$'s

6.4 turbo's can be had for $500 or less.

Honestly i think mounting them would be simple, less piping to do because the turbo's are already bolted together.

I would throw more fuel at your current setup and see where it goes to be honest. But if you really want to do the twin compounds no one is stopping you. Just might not be the greatest option, you say it's going to be a competition only truck then just run a big single and spray the piss out of it? Tried and true method LOL.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I would throw more fuel at your current setup and see where it goes to be honest. But if you really want to do the twin compounds no one is stopping you. Just might not be the greatest option, you say it's going to be a competition only truck then just run a big single and spray the piss out of it? Tried and true method LOL.

In all honesty I rather not use the juice, my truck and I don't do drugs.

My current setup will be getting more fuel very soon, I need to get the oil cooler finished up and then I will be doing the injectors next. The "quad" setup would have to be on another truck as I need my truck to be reliable for work and family.

Latest posts

Members online