Upcoming build

hirevn

Reaction score
Going to be starting the build of my 2012 this coming Friday and thought i would start a thread to ask a few newb questions, also will add some photos as the build comes along. I will be installing a full 5" exhaust system with egr delete and mini maxx and also a 7" Icon/OUO suspension lift with American Force Hero 22X12. My plan is to do the egr/exhaust stuff first and also fully remove the DEF tank and then start on the suspension lift. I have to do it in this order anyway, it feels like i have been waiting forever for my OUO stuff to ship and i still havent got an eta out of Truck Toyz yet as when it will. Everything else has made its long journy to Alaska so i am hoping the OUO parts gets shipped early this coming week so i can stay on schudule (i have about 6-7 days free to complete the entire build).
Anyway i know you guys have a lot of experince here and after lurking and posting in a few forums this one seems to be the best powerstroke forum on the net.
I come from a back ground of building/racing drag cars so i am not new to a wrench (see my you tube vid in my sig) and know a lot about both blown alcohol/race gas and nitrous motors but am a total newb at anything diesel so bare with me if my questions are too stupid lol.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Just a helpful hit, if you are doing a full egr delete when it comes time to get the lower radiator hose off the directions will till you to have someone underneath with vise grips and someone on top with a long screw driver to pry. But it is much easier to take the grill and the passenger side headlight off to get access to the hose. It tells you how to take the grill off in the manual since you have to do it to change head light bulbs.

Also be careful when you take the cooler it self off. Its heavy and will still have some coolant in it so dont take a bath

hirevn

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip WHYNOT, i have had the grille and lights out when i did the projector retrofit so this sounds like a quick and eaiser way to get at the hose. Also will give me more room to crawl around in the engine compartment and not scratch the grille.
My first question is around the Mini Maxx, i understsand it is best to load the tune on the truck before turning any wrenchs "just in case". So do I,

A- Load the offroad tune of my choice and just start the truck to make sure it does start without driving it?

B- Load an onroad tune first and start the truck, then switch to the offroad tune after the hard parts have been installed?

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
You can load an off road tune and start it just to see if it runs, then starting installing everything

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip WHYNOT, i have had the grille and lights out when i did the projector retrofit so this sounds like a quick and eaiser way to get at the hose. Also will give me more room to crawl around in the engine compartment and not scratch the grille.
My first question is around the Mini Maxx, i understsand it is best to load the tune on the truck before turning any wrenchs "just in case". So do I,

A- Load the offroad tune of my choice and just start the truck to make sure it does start without driving it?

B- Load an onroad tune first and start the truck, then switch to the offroad tune after the hard parts have been installed?

Sub'n on this. Let us know what you decide so I know what to do with when I fire up my mini maxx and deletes. Good luck on the build should be a nice looking truck when complete.

hirevn

Reaction score
Good news today that my OUO parts for the suspension lift will be shipping today. I will start this project on Friday and will try and take a break now and then and post a few photos along the way.

hirevn

Reaction score
Well after day 1 things went pretty well, i was able to install the mini maxx with H&S off road tuning and the truck started right up. I used the white wire with blue stripe in the bundle as per the instructions for key on power but thought it was odd that this wire goes cold while engine cranking. I tested every wire in this bundle and this was the only one i found hot with key on.
I moved on from there and was able to complete the EGR removal and get the block off plates installed. I used Absolute Performance EGR hose kit instead of the block off caps for the cold coolant side, the hose kit installs very easily with the grille and rh side headlight removed. I then moved on to removing the exhaust, this thing is a MONSTER! It was tough getting it out working off the floor but with a floor jack and my sons help we got it out. I think it was a good first day and i am headed out to the garage now to snap a few pics and i will update this thread with a few later tonight. Today should be somewhat an easier day i hope as my plan is to get the engine bay buttoned up with the S&B and hopefully get the FLO PRO installed.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about taking the right headlight out when doing the EGR delete. Glad to see the build is coming along nicely. Can't wait to put mine together! :pint:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well after day 1 things went pretty well, i was able to install the mini maxx with H&S off road tuning and the truck started right up. I used the white wire with blue stripe in the bundle as per the instructions for key on power but thought it was odd that this wire goes cold while engine cranking. I tested every wire in this bundle and this was the only one i found hot with key on.
I moved on from there and was able to complete the EGR removal and get the block off plates installed. I used Absolute Performance EGR hose kit instead of the block off caps for the cold coolant side, the hose kit installs very easily with the grille and rh side headlight removed. I then moved on to removing the exhaust, this thing is a MONSTER! It was tough getting it out working off the floor but with a floor jack and my sons help we got it out. I think it was a good first day and i am headed out to the garage now to snap a few pics and i will update this thread with a few later tonight. Today should be somewhat an easier day i hope as my plan is to get the engine bay buttoned up with the S&B and hopefully get the FLO PRO installed.

i have my exhaust hanging on a wall in my shop. threw a couple chains on for safety cuz that $hit is nasty. did you remove the egr cooler ?

Chris.v

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome build! Did you go with black American Forces? Are the roads in Alaska salted really badly? I would imagine they are. Do you have any plans for rust prevention for the undercarriage of your truck?

Chris

hirevn

Reaction score
Day two went well, got some work done. I ran in to one question while refilling the coolant system though, i removed 5 gallons of coolant and have only been able to squeeze 4 back in. Even let it run two different times but couldn't really get it hot. Does anyone know how to burp this system or did the EGR hold that last gallon?
Anyway i got the engine compartment finished up and got the Flo Pro installed (Flo Pro fits great btw) and even found some time to start tearing apart the front suspension getting ready for the lift. My OUO parts come in Monday so i think i will take the day off tomorrow and relax and start again Monday.

Starting a parts pile
IMG_0823_zps65148136.jpg

EGR Removed, block plates installed

S&B

The MONSTER :cursing:
IMG_0816_zps0ebfc932.jpg

5" SS Flo Pro-w-muffler

Parts pile getting bigger

WHY NOT

Reaction score
It wont hold as much coolant w/o the cooler. It is impressive how much that it holds. I actually built a little "loft" above a garage door in one of our sheds just to hold truck parts. Its 12'x12' and fills up pretty quick LOL

hirevn

Reaction score
Just a quick update as things come together, ran in to a couple snags that slowed me down yesterday and today. One of my front Icon shocks was bad out of the box, had no nitrogen charge and I should receive my replacement sometime tomorrow. They were good to work with and got a new one out the same day but this slowed me down, also was missing an item completely that will also be here tomorrow. With the down time this created I went ahead and removed my DEF tank while I was replacing the rear brake lines and got the OUO frame brackets installed for the traction bars. Anyone doing a 6" or more lift I highly recommend getting longer brake lines rather than using the cheapo drop brackets. I called Crown performance and got 9" over ss lines and they are sweet, The double rear line is kinda tuff to do but is worth it, after removing the def tank though it was a piece of cake.

Fr Icon 2.5 smooth body shocks, one is being sent back as it lost its nitrogen charge.

Rr Icon 2.5 smooth body

hirevn

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome build! Did you go with black American Forces? Are the roads in Alaska salted really badly? I would imagine they are. Do you have any plans for rust prevention for the undercarriage of your truck?

Chris
Sorry I missed this, been busy lol. They don't use salt in Alaska, they do use sand and this creates its own problems with just creating a mess. Luckily I don't need my truck daily for work as I work remotely so fly a lot, only drive about 3000 miles a year in the truck. I did get the polished AF wheels, probably run the stockers during the winter months though.

hirevn

Reaction score
Well i am finally finished for now, took me about 7 full (12 hour) days to complete the lift system and full delete. The truck drives great, better than i thought it would and shortly after these pics i went and towed my 28' enclosed race car hauler to the track. It tows pretty darn good with the standard drop hitch but as soon as my extended shank comes in for my weight distribution hitch i will go back to using it. I am in need for a break about now as my body is pretty thrashed from getting this job done and getting on and off the floor for the last week (sucks getting old). A big thanks to my son for all his help, couldn't have done it all myself without him.
It would not quit raining so forgive the "wet" pics, finally gave up and decided to get some pics before i could get it all shined up.

IMG_0838_zpsbaf13c09.jpg

Latest posts

Members online