Vgt turbo

Triumph1188

Reaction score
Any opinions on the SSX and HO Powermax turbos that Elite offers? Those don't seem to get mentioned ever. I'm curious as to why. Are they not as effective, and "old" tech now in the game?

swinky

Reaction score
They seem very durable but never seen them put down good numbers on fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

stonepusher

Reaction score
I had elites original VGT-SS for a while and it did 585hp on fuel and 823hp on spray. Swapped to a Barder Stage 3 and truck did 615hp on fuel and 865hp on spray. No tune change.

Triumph1188

Reaction score
I had elites original VGT-SS for a while and it did 585hp on fuel and 823hp on spray. Swapped to a Barder Stage 3 and truck did 615hp on fuel and 865hp on spray. No tune change.

The SSX has a 64.7mm compressor wheel and the stage 3 has a 68mm so that makes sense.

stonepusher

Reaction score
The SSX has a 64.7mm compressor wheel and the stage 3 has a 68mm so that makes sense.

Your correct, I did say VGT-SS though, not SSX. This turbo was built with a gt40 compressor housing and not out of powermax. Fwiw the stage 3 spools faster than the VGT-SS, 64.7mm. Spools as fast if not faster than a stock turbo tbh.

Triumph1188

Reaction score
Your correct, I did say VGT-SS though, not SSX. This turbo was built with a gt40 compressor housing and not out of powermax. Fwiw the stage 3 spools faster than the VGT-SS, 64.7mm. Spools as fast if not faster than a stock turbo tbh.

What makes it spool faster? Is the A/R different on the harder unit? Number of blades? Billet?

strokin6L

Reaction score
The a/r's are the same...58. The difference is probably being billet and being larger to flow more air and move more exhaust.

stonepusher

Reaction score
What makes it spool faster? Is the A/R different on the harder unit? Number of blades? Billet?

That my friend are questions for the turbo builders, I have no idea what the specs are for each turbo besides comp wheel size. I can only give you the info on the way MY truck has reacted to each turbo.

Triumph1188

Reaction score
That my friend are questions for the turbo builders, I have no idea what the specs are for each turbo besides comp wheel size. I can only give you the info on the way MY truck has reacted to each turbo.

No problem. I'm not questioning you per say, more of an open ended question to anyone that knows the answer. I'm a curious guy haha.

strokin6L

Reaction score
The specs on the Elite SSX is
compressor wheel specs: inducer 64.7mm/exducer 94mm
turbine wheel inducer 72.5mm/exducer 70mm

The specs on Barder stage 3 is
compressor wheel specs: inducer 67.8mm/exducer 94mm
turbine wheel inducer 72.0mm/excuder 70.2mm

I don't know the compressor blade configuration on the elite turbo, but I know the Barder stage 3 uses a 11 blade single plane billet compressor wheel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.