Water in trans?

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Okay so its that time of year and roads are flooded and their is water everywhere! Well I was going through some water one night countless puddles on my way home. Well the next day I was going to school and she wouldnt shift into 4th. It was all of a sudden just gone?? I couldnt get my trans higher than 3rd gear. It normally runs at 140 degrees and it was getting up towards 160 so their is a problem. Is it shot or do you think a trans flush would work? If a trans flush would work does someone wanna walk me through it? I know drain the oil take off the pan. Change the filter and gasket and reinstall. Anything else I should check?? My trans fluid is full but it does smell a lil burnt but not bad.

Transmissions are not my highest level of expertise by any means so if ya could give me a hand with it, it would be appreciated.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that simply driving on a wet gravel road would lead to water in the trans, which would have turned the fluid milky pink, like Strawberry Quik..

I think it's more likely water got to the PCM connection or maybe the connector on the range switch..

but I'm not there, so...

if the fluid is burnt, flush it. But don't forget the electronics & water do not react well together..

did you happen to scan codes?

Last edited:

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Well what ended up happening is that we pulled the trans. Their was some water in it, but towards the back of the trans the fluid turned into like shaving cream. So looking everything over the Torque Converter was my main problem. I had that replaced and put a billet TC in it. I then had a shop rebuild my trans. He said it had work done to it before and said it was the worst rebuilt trans he had ever seen. They ended up putting a shift kit in it when it only had half a shift kit in it before. Basically she got an entire overhaul and everything is running good now. I ended up blowing the seal out of it and gotta fix that but other than that she should be good!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.