Water/Meth or Nitrous?

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
My non VGT 62 doesn't exactly clean up my 170's and it tends to get hot at wot. I don't ever tow, just looking for a little more horsepower. Should I go with water/meth or spray? If I go with water I'll be using it everyday but if I go with N20 I'll probably be using it on the track mostly. What do y'all think?

bboteler

Reaction score
Im saying water/meth...more practical but i guess it really depends on how much you drive the truck.

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
I've never messed with water/meth. But I will say nitrous is amazing lol. I wouldn't use it as an everyday thing by any means though.
What do you consider "hot"?

1600 degrees 0-80.. I'm planning on using whatever I buy as much as possible.

I drive the truck an average of 3 days a week, maybe a little more maybe a little less.

strokin6L

Reaction score
i love my stage 2 kit from Snow. I've been running water meth for nearly 7 years and love it. I use winter blend washer fluid.

strokin6L

Reaction score
depends how much I drive the truck and use it. I have snow's 7 gallon tank in the bed. If the tank was full...it probably last me a few months. I only put about 50 miles on my truck a week...sometimes more, sometimes less.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've got the luxery of having a 0 mile commute to work everyday haha. Truck is an early '04(build date July '03) and already had 10k miles on it when I got it. Right now it has 74k miles

Last edited:

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm gonna say water....

Imo if you need nitrous to run your daily setup daily...you need more air....or have a little fuel pulled

strokin6L

Reaction score
There really is no way to run nitrous daily Driving. Nitrous is used/activated at WOT. Unless you're constantly driving at WOT..you can't really use it on a daily driver driving to work and towing every day. Nitrous is merely used for racing.

oconnors17

Reaction score
I have a stage II water/meth kit that no one knows how to get set for my application and I felt no power gain. The track times didn't so an increase either but now that I have my motor apart and Im having ring issues and rust on the internals of my turbo they are telling me its from the water meth. Just great stuff. Id never use it. I ran nitrous and loved it but its not a ever day thing either. If your looking for every day Id say get a bigger turbo. Nitrous is not street able.

Charles

Reaction score
I have a stage II water/meth kit that no one knows how to get set for my application and I felt no power gain. The track times didn't so an increase either but now that I have my motor apart and Im having ring issues and rust on the internals of my turbo they are telling me its from the water meth. Just great stuff. Id never use it. I ran nitrous and loved it but its not a ever day thing either. If your looking for every day Id say get a bigger turbo. Nitrous is not street able.

This is why you run pure water with a water-soluble oil. Otherwise everything will in fact rust up.

If you actually make a lot of boost pure water will pick up power. If you make say 50lbs or less, and the cooler works half-ass, water is pretty much a waste unless EGT control is the goal.

Either way, EGT can be fully arrested with water, and it can be sent through the stratosphere with spray. If you want to cool the engine, spray water mixed with water soluble oil. Done.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
i run the snow kit also. it does add power if set right. it took a little while and a lot of mix to get it dialed in. i did just lose a soleniod so i dont have the max power nozzle working, just the MPG one. sorta sucks. i have to get with snow about replacememt. the oil is such a good i dea. i need to find some.

as far as EGT cooling, i find that it takes a good bit of 30+ seconds to see any down the road cooling. too much injection of the water/meth will quench the combustion and that is no fun.

strokin6L

Reaction score
You gotta spend some time setting it up. Its gonna take a while to find the right nozzle sizes to use and the right adjustment on the controller to have it start injecting. Like said...it won't rust if you use something in the mix. Water soluble oil will work. I use a couple bottles of radiator anti-rust/water pump lubricant. Works great...and this is what alot of truck and tractor pullers use on their water injection systems. This is what I use http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/...ld+by+each__10151_-1_10651_1365193_?acesApp=0

Last edited:

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I run the stage 1 coolingmist setup and its really nice... Most I have ran thru it was washer fluid but I got it more for keeping things cool... And it does its job very nicely. They make a few different kits, tank options ,etc

Charles

Reaction score
To those running a combustible through their intake track... you realize you can't time that fuel right? Talk to water/methanol injection salesmen all you want about how it doesn't auto-ignite before the diesel... it does. Hello untimed fuel source. To the people picking up noticable power with methanol on a truck running relatively low intake air temp/pressure.... where is that power coming from? Timing. Cylinder pressure transducers don't care to relay the methanol injection salesman's enthusiasm.

Remember, you're running a 17.5:1 engine at 40+lbs of boost. Would you do that with a port-injected gasser? Well, when you place the fuel into the intake plenum on your diesel it just became a gasser running way too much CR for the boost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.