Weight distribution

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Quick question for those who are snatching campers around. I have a 36 footer and I'm looking into a distribution system to eliminate sway. Which have you used and recommend?

My09Ride

Reaction score
I ran a Reese Dual Cam set up for about 4 yrs. On my 150 and 250. It work good, just a little noisy, and the wife thought I was breaking something. If you are running a 250, unless that 36 footer has a real heavy tongue weight, just the friction bar could work. If towing Air Springs are real good.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I love my Blue OX sway pro. Really quiet and smooth going down the road with no sway whatsoever. I tow this 32ft around mostly...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457915701.267082.jpg

dmd

Reaction score
Hensley Arrow, there is none better. Impossible to sway, doesn't just dampen it.

It is like you have a 5'er behind the truck.

When I got it, it seemed like we were running on rails it would go so straight. Used a
Reese dual cam before, it is in a box in the garage taking up room now.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
My buddy has a Hensley Arrow and loves it. First time I saw one was crawling all over it seeing how it worked. Neat design.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I have the Reese Straightline for my 34' Toyhauler. It works OK. Been a long path to get it where it's at now and I think I've more fiddling to do.

Biggest thing I learned is the bars are not exactly the same, so mark them L&R and put them back where they go every time. Then you aren't adjusting everything ever time out.

I've heard good things about the hensley, but also that it's a pita to hook up and it's heavy and can come unlocked on downhills. There's another guy who makes a 2nd generation of it (can't remember his brand name) but I'd be looking at that if I were going to replace my straightline.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
My buddy hasn't told me about coming unlocked. That's a little scary. He pulls only an Airstream though. I am guessing in the 6500 range loaded.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Yeah the Henley looks quite complicated to hook up compared to my Blue OX sway pro to hook up.

Trick Truck has done his homework and experimenting to get a trailer to pull straight haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmd

Reaction score
If a Hensley unlocks he has it adjusted wrong. They have over-center clips that hold
it all together and they hold very tight. Any hitch that is setup wrong can have
problems.

Weight isnt an issue, it stays on the trailer. The only weight is the bar and it weights about the same as a single spring bar from the others. In total it weighs just a little
more than the Reese and I dont have to carry it or the spring bars around.

There is a learning curve to getting it hooked up, the key is to have the bar
and the hitch on the same angle and they go right together.

If you read the instructions on how to adjust it there shouldnt be any problems. I can
see how if a person doesnt pay attention to adjustments that they would have problems
connecting it. I have ran mine up and down the Sierra's, through Yellow Stone, all over
Texas, over miles of dirt roads, tire blow-outs and never had a problem. The over center
clips should have locking pins that are a double safety even if they are adjusted
wrong, suggest that they call Hensley and go over the issue.

The only way I can enplane how the Hensley feels is that the truck and trailer
feel like they are on rails. Very little push from big trucks or from wind. It is
also easier to back up because of the geometry of the hitch, I was not expecting
that.

dmd

Reaction score
Yeah the Henley looks quite complicated to hook up compared to my Blue OX sway pro to hook up.

Trick Truck has done his homework and experimenting to get a trailer to pull straight haha.

I have had several of the other hitches and once you get used to each one
they hook right up. Same with the Hensley. No greasy bars to deal with
either.

Only thing I noticed is that there is absolutely now hint of sway and very
little influence from any other outside forces such as wind or trucks.

I always hear that they are too expensive or too complicated, but for the safety and ease
of towing I wouldn't use any other. Everyone talks about protecting their family until
they have to open their wallet to pay for it.

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I have had several of the other hitches and once you get used to each one
they hook right up. Same with the Hensley. No greasy bars to deal with
either.

Only thing I noticed is that there is absolutely now hint of sway and very
little influence from any other outside forces such as wind or trucks.

I always hear that they are too expensive or too complicated, but for the safety and ease
of towing I wouldn't use any other. Everyone talks about protecting their family until
they have to open their wallet to pay for it.

Sounds like they are definitely a good hitch and compare pretty good to the hitch I run. Can't go wrong with either of these two brands for safety of pulling and safety of everyone on the road!

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I have a 31' jayco 2x slides. When I had my X I used the husky bars and a friction bar.

With the 250 I have airbags so I haven't used the W.D bars only the friction bar. It follows the truck nicely

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...WiStgdPAlSpRvIdgnVD6XZEDfqYQZsbUjAaAiCH8P8HAQ

Now I'm running carli bags and haven't pulled the trailer since I installed them so I don't know how it feels with them but I figured it couldn't be too much better than without them.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I'm going to do a little looking into the Hensley compared to the ox. Thanks for all the info everyone, any more useful tips and info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys

dmd

Reaction score
What completely sold me on Hensley is that sway is eliminated mechanically by
the geometric design and moving the pivot point up to near the axle.

All the others (Blu Ox included) use friction to dampen sway.

Yep, you have to pay for the Hensley engineering.

Most any hitch will do the weight distribution.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
What completely sold me on Hensley is that sway is eliminated mechanically by
the geometric design and moving the pivot point up to near the axle.

All the others (Blu Ox included) use friction to dampen sway.

Yep, you have to pay for the Hensley engineering.

Most any hitch will do the weight distribution.

What did you pay for that hitch setup and what strength bars did you go with?

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Yea I'm with ya on that one I mean no doubt that system seems to be leading the pack but idk if I want to bust that much on one just yet. That ox is sounding good to me for the money with the reviews it has behind it but I'm still not sure yet

JRLott

Reaction score
Definitely a tough pill to swallow, but it might make people like me consider a bumper pull. I think I was about 6 or 7 when dad bought our first gooseneck trailer. I've vehemently despised every bumper pull I've pulled or been in the passenger seat since then.

Latest posts

Members online