Weight distribution

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I agree that just about any trailer sitting over the axle is going to be the ultimate ease of use and tow the best but when it comes down to a travel trailer it's hard to get that nice spacious layout in a 5er without breaking the bank on that end as well. I like my bumper pull for the room and layout but without the distribution it's such a pain I agree

14ccd

Reaction score
Another vote for the Reese Dual cam. Its what I use, it works great I have no sway. The Hensley is way too expensive and I don't need it. The Hensley would be very hard to use in those off camber camp sites.

dmd

Reaction score
Hensley makes the trailer pivot at the axel, so it pulls like a 5'er or gooseneck. Nothing
like it.

If you pull with one you will understand.

Like I said, I have a Reese dual cam in a box. In wind and trucks it just didn't
hold straight, it was a whole lot better than no sway control though. Hensley eliminates
any sway, it just can't happen with the pivot at the axel.

But, yea.. it costs.

valvetick

Reaction score
What is yalls preference in tires? Yall running LTs or something like the marathons?

I had two Goodyear marathons come apart on my last trip both where 2 years old, I've got 16's on my triple axle and discount tire recommended I swap over to the Carlisle tire but I'm not sold yet. I would love to run Michelin xps ribs but a little pricey and discount tire keeps replacing the marathons under warranty for free with Carlisle and I haven't had one come apart yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arconalloy

Reaction score
My buddy has had the marathons come apart as well but that's what everyone keeps recommending me. Im planning on getting a set of something this weekend but not sure on which ones yet I haven't looked into the Carlisles yet

cbf9703

Reaction score
Every trailer tire we ran on the GN either came apart, had belts separate, or bubbled. Finally started running truck tires on it and haven't had an issue since... Warranty or not it wasn't worth the hassle and inconvenience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I run either Michelins XPS ribs or good year G14s

I HATE trailer tires

dsberman94

Reaction score
Those of you with tire troubles, do you use it every day or does it sit most of the time? Just wondering because we had a 32' tow behind from 03- at least 2010 and I don't think we ever replaced the tires on it, never had any issues either. It stayed in our yard on a crushed stone pad for 51 weeks a year. We pulled it 100 miles, left it for a week, and then brought it 100 miles home and parked it for another 51 weeks until next year. The tires always passed inspection, we never used those tire covers. Just curious.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I've been thinking of running truck tires but every tire shop I talk to seems to steer clear of them saying the load ratings and side wall on the truck tires aren't made the same and believe it or not some of the trailer tires are better but idk how spot on any of that is. We have always run truck tires without any issues other than running them slap bald but I haven't used trailer tires much other than on my boat

cbf9703

Reaction score
I've been thinking of running truck tires but every tire shop I talk to seems to steer clear of them saying the load ratings and side wall on the truck tires aren't made the same and believe it or not some of the trailer tires are better but idk how spot on any of that is. We have always run truck tires without any issues other than running them slap bald but I haven't used trailer tires much other than on my boat
I run 10 ply truck tires with no issues. :shrug:

Those of you with tire troubles, do you use it every day or does it sit most of the time? Just wondering because we had a 32' tow behind from 03- at least 2010 and I don't think we ever replaced the tires on it, never had any issues either. It stayed in our yard on a crushed stone pad for 51 weeks a year. We pulled it 100 miles, left it for a week, and then brought it 100 miles home and parked it for another 51 weeks until next year. The tires always passed inspection, we never used those tire covers. Just curious.

Use it probably 10-20 times a year, anywhere from an hour or so for a weekend at an offroad park to 14+ hours one way for an event. Had that trailer for the last 15 years- no tire covers and parked either in the field or on gravel next to the shop. I check all the tires and pressure before every trip and at every stop along the way.

It doesn't matter if it's the one time you get it out or the 100th that year and I don't care if I'm 5 miles from home or 500, having to change out tires on the side of the road is NOT my idea of a fun time. I've been out of state and used both spares already on that trip and had to unhook, leave someone with the trailer, run into the nearest town with an open tire shop and buy a used tire when a third went down because they didn't have any in the right size in stock all just to get back on the road to where we were headed. ALL of the trailer tires got yanked after that trip and replaced with truck tires (including spares). 7 years later and still no issues other than running them bald. LOL

valvetick

Reaction score
I run 10 ply truck tires with no issues. :shrug:

Use it probably 10-20 times a year, anywhere from an hour or so for a weekend at an offroad park to 14+ hours one way for an event. Had that trailer for the last 15 years- no tire covers and parked either in the field or on gravel next to the shop. I check all the tires and pressure before every trip and at every stop along the way.

It doesn't matter if it's the one time you get it out or the 100th that year and I don't care if I'm 5 miles from home or 500, having to change out tires on the side of the road is NOT my idea of a fun time. I've been out of state and used both spares already on that trip and had to unhook, leave someone with the trailer, run into the nearest town with an open tire shop and buy a used tire when a third went down because they didn't have any in the right size in stock all just to get back on the road to where we were headed. ALL of the trailer tires got yanked after that trip and replaced with truck tires (including spares). 7 years later and still no issues other than running them bald. LOL

My trip for Christmas/New Years I used both my spares as well I was worried on the last leg home I would have another come apart. That was a 2800 mile round trip. Discount replaced them but I've been contemplating selling these since they are new and throwing on the Michelin xps. Mines a triple axle so it gets a lot of scrubbing while going around tight corners and the xps is one of the only truck tires that are approved for trailer use.

cbf9703

Reaction score
My trip for Christmas/New Years I used both my spares as well I was worried on the last leg home I would have another come apart. That was a 2800 mile round trip. Discount replaced them but I've been contemplating selling these since they are new and throwing on the Michelin xps. Mines a triple axle so it gets a lot of scrubbing while going around tight corners and the xps is one of the only truck tires that are approved for trailer use.

Dual axle here, but lifted truck so it didn't always sit as level as I would have liked- we always planned weight distribution accordingly.

It just wasn't worth it to me after that trip to deal with the hassle. The shop trailer had the same issues until we started running truck tires on it too. Who knows though, it might just be my luck! LOL

valvetick

Reaction score
Dual axle here, but lifted truck so it didn't always sit as level as I would have liked- we always planned weight distribution accordingly.

It just wasn't worth it to me after that trip to deal with the hassle. The shop trailer had the same issues until we started running truck tires on it too. Who knows though, it might just be my luck! LOL

No your right ST trailer tires and cheap Chinese tires I've just been worried about throwing on LT tires with the axle scrub so that's why I was looking at the michelins. But your experience is good to hear thanks!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Run LT tires on trailers. All trailer tires are built in China. Doesn't matter if they are Goodyears or not.
Reason why tire shops steer you from anything but ST tires on a trailer $$$. Ask about the warranty on a ST tire.
The trailer will pull better with LT tires also. Pick each one up and tell me how a ST tire can handle the same or more weight than a LT tire.
They are not built for passenger requirements.
Just go with a Highway tread and you will be great.
Even if you have the 235/80/16 and can't fit a 85 on the trailer, get a 245/75/16. Pretty close to the same. Thats what I run.
Mines a triple axle also that is a FAT PIG.

Last edited:

Arconalloy

Reaction score
So any truck tire with highway tread will work? What truck tires are yall running? Yall have convinced me to run LTs', now what LTs'? Thanks for the input guys

Jomax

Reaction score
So any truck tire with highway tread will work? What truck tires are yall running? Yall have convinced me to run LTs', now what LTs'? Thanks for the input guys

Michelin XPS RIBs

Notneb

Reaction score
I thought that was just common knowledge, running LT's on trailers lol

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I am a Goodyear fan so I run the Wrangler HT. Been great. Just make sure the load rating is E and the tires are 3000+ per tire.
Many run the XPS Ribs but they are too damn expensive for me to justify.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.