yha3yza5.jpg

Some of the parts that showed up today

ysehy7y3.jpg

And of course you can't own a powerstroke without AE

eqady7yt.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JD3020

Reaction score
One thing i wish i had is Auto Enginuity, one of these days maybe. LOL What injectors you going with?

Today this stuff will be built, modified, mounted, and tested.
1013969_10201562128597521_1993829720_n.jpg

And some time in the near future something will be done with this stuff.

1000745_10201639066280915_1220094459_n.jpg

MossBack

Reaction score
I have justin struckman making me 180/100's Right now I am playing with the AE on my wife's exploder...

MossBack

Reaction score
I'm fixing to install a 7.3 SD IC on my OBS, but I'm looking at using silicone marine exhaust hosing ( http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl...nal-dia&i=23619&str=exhaust+hose&merchID=4005 ) mounted to the turbo with an adapter and to the stock y that's flipped 180* rather than fabbing a bunch of PITA pipes.
Thoughts? Issues?

Sent via NSA proof secure satellite uplink.

How do you plan to bend that hose and keep it into the shape needed to clear the serpentine belt, p/s pump and everything in the engine compartment... It looks to me like more of a pita that way..

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
How do you plan to bend that hose and keep it into the shape needed to clear the serpentine belt, p/s pump and everything in the engine compartment... It looks to me like more of a pita that way..

The helical wire reinforcement allows it to retain its shape once its been bent...

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that hose is rated for any kind of pressure, and even if it doesn't pop as soon as you boost it the hose is going to try and straiten itself out.

I'll just leave this here:
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40910

soldier_twiggy

Reaction score
Actually, this particular hose is rated to 220psi, as long as I'm reading it right. Below is the link for others to do their research, if they'd like. I am a little concerned about the serpentine belt, so before I go this route I will definitely do some mental fabbing/planning before I purchase.
I like this idea because if murphy strikes on a long road trip all I have to do is remove the hot and cold lines and re-flip the y to the turbo and I'm on the road again.
http://marinehose.com/mpi/products_exhaust_252.htm

soldier_twiggy

Reaction score
just went and eyeballed the path for the lines...looks like it'd take deliberate effort to get the lines mixed into the serpentine. on the hot side you've got the A/C lines setting the block, and on the cold side the serpentine is pretty far out of the way and you've got coolant lines to lace it through. this idea is looking better and better!
I'm thinking I'll get two stock OBS y-pipes, cut them, and use those for my hose ends to connect to the turbo and the intake y.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea.

But: flexible hoses tend to straighten themselves when under pressure.
Don't be too surprised if you find rub marks on the hoses in places you didn't expect there to be any contact.

Hydraulic hoses do the same thing, and they're typically rated at 2500-3000psi working pressure minimum.

soldier_twiggy

Reaction score
K. But they're also dealing with those types of pressures. We're talking 30psi...
I think the ducting will show more rub from engine vibration than actual pressure related flex.
Or am I way off base with my thinking?

PS - mods, I feel like I accidentally hijacked this thread with my hair brained idea so feel free to toss this in it's own thread or my "WTB 7.3 intercooler stuff" thread. Thanks and sorry.

Last edited:

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Ever pressurize a garden hose with the end blocked (nozzle closed)?
Ever see a firehose when it gets pressurized?
They both straighten. Yes, they both still can flex, but not near like what they can when not pressurized. Garden hoses are probably around 15-30 psi. Fire hoses are probably around that for big feeds (like between engines).

And don't forget what happens what the end of the hose will do if it blows off, which it will eventually. I suspect there will be some collateral damage. Maybe just a dent in the hood or throw a belt. But if it bends the fan into the radiator, or.....

PSD715

Reaction score
Signs up, asks if it's a bad idea, & gets mad when everyone says yes. LOL
Can't say I haven't done it.

Make sure and take before and after pics..

soldier_twiggy

Reaction score
Signs up, asks if it's a bad idea, & gets mad when everyone says yes. LOL
Can't say I haven't done it.

Make sure and take before and after pics..
Sorry, you're right...sort of. I am obviously biased towards this idea and want/think it'll work.
I am listening to y'alls input, I really am, but I am going to look up any given "fact" and make it known when it's not correct...like all the hose psi factoids that have been listed.
At this point my biggest concern is the temperature of the rapidly heated air coming out of the compressor side of the turbo.

Oh, and I will definitely document this project start to finish and post it when I do it.

Last edited:

jschildm

Reaction score
I doubt the air temp is much if any warmer than exhaust coming out of the exhaust manifolds in my boat. Its an inboard and uses wire reinforced hose (3.5" I believe) to connect from the exhaust manifolds to the fiberglass mufflers, and then out the back of the boat.

Latest posts

Members online