what rear locker to choose ...

Betarocker

Reaction score
I'm running ARB. A selectable locker is better suited to snow/ice climates. Keep it open so one wheel always tracks if the other spins when driving at normal road speeds. If you need both wheels to drive, it is just a click away. Even the crown in the road can be enough to move the locked end over.

genuineford

Reaction score
I'm running ARB. A selectable locker is better suited to snow/ice climates. Keep it open so one wheel always tracks if the other spins when driving at normal road speeds. If you need both wheels to drive, it is just a click away. Even the crown in the road can be enough to move the locked end over.

How were the air leaks to find that you had last year?

Not knocking the ARB at all but there is more to fail and more issues that can arise. With a true trac or a locker you put it in and don't worry about it.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
no detroit locker!!!

lets just say i took mine out in pieces.

What happened?

Ran one in my 02 and have one in my 08. Talked to plenty of guys who run them and like'em. Never had any problems w/ them.
No tire issues, I don't drive like a dip sh#t around corners and it behaves fine in the winter in MN.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
So in my conditions the trutrac would be best. Then have an elocker up front eventually when I can afford it!

My buddy has asked around about the eaton e-locker and was finding that guys were having the solenoids slowly burn out and it won't engage.

The ARB can have air leak issues from others I've spoke w/. I was talking shop w/ a off-road shop owner and as we(I) was admiring his stock he said the same thing about ARB. The Ox is great due to minimal fail type parts, no air or electrical line but is pricey. He puts a detroit in everything he builds for both his customers and personal vehicles.

For DD that needs just a bit of help, the Tru-trac helical gear posi would be a great one to run vs the price of the detroit locker.

powerlifter405

Reaction score

I never have problems in my 08 or when I had my 02 w/ a detroit locker. Maybe 've been lucky but I don't use cruise when the weather is bad and I drive a bit slower and pay attention to road speed vs rpms. I went over a icy bridge one time and didn't realize it until i heard the motor start to rev. I let off the pedal, locked the front end w/o problem and slowly got back on the pedal, no problemo.

ARB selectable options are nice but I fear tearing something off and the extra cost of lines, and the air source.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I never have problems in my 08 or when I had my 02 w/ a detroit locker. Maybe 've been lucky but I don't use cruise when the weather is bad and I drive a bit slower and pay attention to road speed vs rpms. I went over a icy bridge one time and didn't realize it until i heard the motor start to rev. I let off the pedal, locked the front end w/o problem and slowly got back on the pedal, no problemo.

ARB selectable options are nice but I fear tearing something off and the extra cost of lines, and the air source.

Yeah, i've had one in mine for years and no issues...it's been great even when the truck is abused at times.

Betarocker

Reaction score
How were the air leaks to find that you had last year?

Not knocking the ARB at all but there is more to fail and more issues that can arise. With a true trac or a locker you put it in and don't worry about it.

Air leak was in the compressor check valves, not the lockers.

Nic

Reaction score
air locker...you wont eat tires for a dd and is completely open and smooth..when youre at the track or pulling its a switch away...downside is that its pricey

alwil

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck half an hour ago from having a trutrack installed.....seems really smooth and quiet compared to the wore out stocker I had in there.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck half an hour ago from having a trutrack installed.....seems really smooth and quiet compared to the wore out stocker I had in there.

which is it...a true track locker?...or a true track limited slip?

Notes:
TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer. A TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel.

I thought the OP wanted a locker...not an LS.

Last edited:

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Not bad prolly just go with the tru trac and get it installed cause i want it done once the right way .

I thought you wanted a locker?

BTW-I installed my ARB's once...the right way....zero issues in over 5 years.

They still work as of yesterday....LOL

1df640d9.jpg

alwil

Reaction score
Yes mine is a true track LS, I figured it would be plenty for a daily driver that will never see any really hard off roading

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
I thought you wanted a locker?

BTW-I installed my ARB's once...the right way....zero issues in over 5 years.

They still work as of yesterday....LOL

1df640d9.jpg

I was thinking about a locker but for what I use the truck for I think the LS will be better cause i don't have the extra $$ for the arbs . All in all I wanted opinions on what people have run and have had luck with

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Truetrack...they serve their purpose....

...but this is why I chose a full locker...

Notes:
TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer. A TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel.

..uhhh...isn't that why you need it...because you happen to be on a slippery surface????

I need guaranteed all wheels spinning...not "may not transfer torque"....

..."may not transfer torque"......means to me......" you could be phucked when you really need it"....LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online