what rear locker to choose ...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
my trutrac hasn't failed me yet but i havn't tried to hang one side of my duals off the ground... in icy or wet conditions it has always locked in...

PsRumors

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Truetrack...they serve their purpose....

...but this is why I chose a full locker...

Notes:
TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer. A TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel.

..uhhh...isn't that why you need it...because you happen to be on a slippery surface????

I need guaranteed all wheels spinning...not "may not transfer torque"....

..."may not transfer torque"......means to me......" you could be phucked when you really need it"....LOL

I guess you have a similar problem with the ARB? If you hit an unexpected icy patch your ARBs will NOT lock until you flip the switch.

my trutrac hasn't failed me yet but i havn't tried to hang one side of my duals off the ground... in icy or wet conditions it has always locked in...

Same here never a problem.

PsRumors

Reaction score
My ARB's lock in on any surface...even slippery ones...LOL LOL

But not automatically. THAT is what you are calling out the TruTrac for.

If you and I both hit an unexpected patch of ice we both know your ARBs will NOT lock in automatically. My TruTrac may or may not.

Betarocker

Reaction score
You don't want the diff locked when you hit an icy patch unexpectedly, unless you don't mind doing 360s into the ditch. An open diff allows one wheel to track along the path of travel, even if the other one is spinning. I went with a manual transmission, and manual transfer case and manual hubs because I wanted control over my driveline. ARBs give me manual control over my differentials too.

Last edited:

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
You don't want the diff locked when you hit an icy patch unexpectedly, unless you don't mind doing 360s into the ditch. An open diff allows one wheel to track along the path of travel, even if the other one is spinning. I went with a manual transmission, and manual transfer case and manual hubs because I wanted control over my driveline. ARBs give me manual control over my differentials too.

Exactly...

In that situation....you have a better chance of becoming a 4ton unguided spinning missile with True Trac's than an ARB...

With a True trac you have no choice....with an ARB you do.

And even if you end up in the ditch...nothing will get you out better than a FULL locker.

Last edited:

PsRumors

Reaction score

You are right and maybe a bad example. Tank is pointing out that the TruTrac MAY need some input from the operator in some instances...as if the ARB does not.

Exactly...

In that situation....you have a better chance of becoming a 4ton unguided spinning missile with True Trac's than an ARB...

With a True trac you have no choice....with an ARB you do.

And even if you end up in the ditch...nothing will get you out better than a FULL locker.

Not completely true. I'd much rather have a LS in the front when trying to turn up out of a ditch than trying to turn a full locker.

Basically all I am getting at is the ARB is not the be all of differentials, neither is a TruTrac or any other diff for that matter. They both have their place, both have advantages and disadvantages.

The ARB definately requires input from the operator via switches.

The TruTrac may require input from the operator via a quick blip of the brake pedal.

Latest posts

Members online