Wheels for Dark Copper Metallic

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Looking for some input and ideas for what kind and style of wheels would go well with the dark copper metallic color of my truck. I have seen a lot of chrome but am partial to black wheels and they won't show the harsh AK weather as bad

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Here it is. I will have to look at polished aluminum. I don't mind the stock wheels but figured with a lift and bigger tires I may need a different offset so they don't rub. I plan on 35s or 37s and a Carli leveling kit or lift...undecided on height

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 110

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if we were talking SRW or DRW. After seeing the pics with the factory 18's, I would put a set of factory 05-07 5 spoke 20's on it and enjoy! It'll look killer.

with that said:

IMG_0031_zps02bd96af.jpg

:drool:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
here are a couple with the OEM 20's... it's tough to find a better looking wheel. If you have a hard time finding a set of 5 spokes, the 08-10 8 spoke 20's look really sharp on the 6.0's too

Kg_640.jpg

1FTSW21Y26EC50990_1.jpg

I don't particularly care for black wheels in general, though I've run many sets over the years. I REALLY don't care for them on two tone trucks, but I think the copper KR's are one of the trucks they look the worst on. It's probably because it's such a pretty color and polished aluminum really compliments it. Black just takes away from the whole scheme IMO

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Man those factory 20s do look good and I am not a fan of big wheels. Should be a good bit cheaper than aftermarket too I would hope. 18s are kind of a weird size for tires too...what is the width on factory 20s? I would like to run 37s with 20s to keep the wheel to tire ratio in check as I don't like low pros and live in AK haha my truck sees 20+ miles of bad dirt road a day since I work in the middle of nowhere at a CAT dealer at a gold mine. That's the reason I want to go with a Carli suspension to ease the kidney jarring ruts

Any pics of those 20s on 35s so I can get a feel for how they look?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
they will look similar to the pics I posted, only wider...

the OEM tires are 34.6" tall

Man, step into the 21st century and put some 20's on it. You'll have about the same amount of sidewall that you do now. You don't need giant 70's style balloon tires to drive down a dirt road :eek:

sootie

Reaction score
Man those factory 20s do look good and I am not a fan of big wheels. Should be a good bit cheaper than aftermarket too I would hope. 18s are kind of a weird size for tires too...what is the width on factory 20s? I would like to run 37s with 20s to keep the wheel to tire ratio in check as I don't like low pros and live in AK haha my truck sees 20+ miles of bad dirt road a day since I work in the middle of nowhere at a CAT dealer at a gold mine. That's the reason I want to go with a Carli suspension to ease the kidney jarring ruts

Any pics of those 20s on 35s so I can get a feel for how they look?

8" is the factory width

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Haha! Got me there :eek::eek:

just giving you a hard time :D

the factory 20's are a 65% aspect ratio sidewall... a 35 will come in slightly more than that. Your OEM 18" tire size is a 70% sidewall, so you'd be very close to the current sidewall height with a taller tire

I'm not a huge fan of 37's myself. They add a lot of weight and you have to lift the truck. Never mind the fact that 35's are already stupid expensive IMO, the 37's start touching on that "are you _____'ing kidding me?!?" price range. Don't get me wrong, if you need the additional INCH of ground clearance at the axles, then you need 37's

But these trucks are quite capable with 35's IMO

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Thank you. For fifth wheel height would 35s be easier than 37s to run or would both require modifications? Also I assume a leveling kit (2.5" lift) would let me run 35s easy...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I don't think you'll need a leveling kit

what you'll likely run into is rubbing on the control arms with 35x12.50's

I prefer to run 275-285 all terrains vs. the heavy 12.50 muds or AT's. zero rubbing at stock height

5th wheel height with 35's shouldn't be much of an issue as the factory tires were just shy of 35" on those trucks.

37's wouldn't necessarily require 5th wheel mods, BUT in order to clear 37's up front, you're going to need to lift the truck. You might get away with a leveling kit, but I'd assume you're going to hit/rub if you get the truck twisted up. Heck you might even with a 35x12.50

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
well... I have a really bad habit of buying take-off sets and sets of wheels/tires in general... My favorite OEM setup I purchased were a set of OEM 20's (Harleys in this case, but the dimensions/fit are the same across ALL of the OEM super duty 20" wheels) that came wrapped in a set of 285/65/20 BFG AT's

I paid $1500 for them and the tires were almost new.

the BFG's aren't popular with a lot of forum guys, but I had a set on a Dodge back in the day and I liked them. I also got a set of Harleys with OEM size (275/65/20) BFG AT's a while back for $1500. I've had them on my work truck for 40k miles and they still have good tread on them.

trouble is, I recently looked at prices on the tires because I've liked them so much... the 285's range from $350-400/tire depending on where I looked :eek:

I don't "need" offroad tires. The roughest terrain I see is hard-packed mountain roads in Colorado that a street tire does just fine on. SO, when these tires wear out, I'll likely go back to a set of factory Michelins because I get take-off sets cheap. People always throw mud tires on their trucks as soon as they get them, so I'm happy to buy their unwanted stuff :)

I'm bad about buying wheel/tire sets, but when I can get wheels AND tires for the same or less than a set of tires costs? I can't pass it up...

as such, I currently have a set of 08-10 8 spokes with 20 mile fresh Michelins (off of a '14), a set of Platinums with 305/50 Copper LTZ's, and a set of 22x10 AF Hero's with 420's sitting in storage :eek:

here's a pic of the 285/65 BFG's on my reg cab... again, not a very popular tire or look on this forum, but they're a lot lighter than 35x12.50 Toyo's, they don't rub, and they do everything I need them to

20140201_134543_zps0ad7eb67.png

2" level and 1 ton blocks on 35x12.50 Toyo MT's (I promptly sold the MT's and went stock height on 13 KR's and Michelins)

ResizedImage_1363737568924_zpsa58c7d5f.png

vs.

IMG_20130421_134946_695_zps77c5ce89.png

aaand OEM size BFG AT's for reference:

20130612_155102_1_zpsc5af025a.png

I realize these are all 6.4 trucks, but it's my experience that the 05-07 6.0's sit and fit pretty similarly

Latest posts

Members online