Which would be a better option?

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Whats up guys? First of all, I know I already put this in the tech section, but I figured this might be a better section for it so if a mod wants to ****** it there, thats fine. lol Anyway, I'm really looking to get into a 6.4 or a 6.7. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a 6.7 is gonna happen right now because they're a little to expensive.. However, I have found some really good looking 6.4's and I've always loved them. I'm having trouble deciding what I should do though. I want to buy one but should I look for one with studs already done? I've found plenty with ******s and tuners done but that all makes me nervous without studs. I would want to get them done ASAP. On the other hand, I found a truck with a bad motor in it for a pretty good price in my opinion. The guy hasn't torn into the motor. So would I be better off to find a truck thats already studded, find a truck without studs and baby it until I can get it studded, or look into buying one with a trashed motor and just build the whole thing from the ground up? The piston issue also worries me. Clearly there's going to be a big power difference between a studded truck and building the motor, but I think my budget will be about the same? I'm trying to decide whether the build will be worth the effort and time. Thanks for the input guys!
-Drew

getstroked27

Reaction score
6.4's do not have the Head bolt issues that the 6 liters had, so thats not too much of an issue until you get into higher HP trucks. That doesn't mean it can't become an issue if you beat on it a lot, just less prone to failure. as far as pistons, its such a toss up. I have had only one common 6.4 issue with mine in the past 4 years, and that was the front pump seal letting loose. i have ran nothing but "race" tunes since the day i bought it unless i was towing, and i have yet to crack a piston, or have a leaky radiator, or any of that common stuff. Like i said, doesn't mean it can't happen to you though. i think i just got really lucky. If it were me, i would save up and get a 6.7. much less issues with them. really only have to worry about the turbo. IC pipe upgrade is a cheap insurance and after that, the turbo is really the only issue. and that is much cheaper to fix than a trashed engine. just my thoughts.

stroker221

Reaction score
Buying one with a trashed engine is only gonna be the way to go if its being sold for at least 10k under from what it books. Because you could chance the block being a boat anchor and having to buy a new short block. And then the price varies so greatly depending on how bullet proof you want it to be. If your not doing the work yourself then count on spending alot more.

If you buy one thats is running then I would count on studding it asap regardless of anything else. I also wouldnt let it having a tuner on it turn you away from one.

Overall cleaness/mileage/and maintenance records would be my main concern.

JMart

Reaction score
I had a 6.4 so I can say this. Save up or wait it out. But skip the 6.4 and get a 6.7.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Well, thats what I'm debating. I'm thinking about waiting on the 6.7 but I've always loved the 6.4's. I found one for under $10k so thats why I'm considering that one. And I was thinking about just getting it going again and making around 600+. No duel fuelers or anything like that in the plans for now. Coated pistons, .020 over, oringed heads, stage 1 cam, rods, springs, lifters, some bigger nozzles, and maybe a single. I would be doing most of the work myself so that would save me a lot.

JMart

Reaction score
Well, thats what I'm debating. I'm thinking about waiting on the 6.7 but I've always loved the 6.4's. I found one for under $10k so thats why I'm considering that one. And I was thinking about just getting it going again and making around 600+. No duel fuelers or anything like that in the plans for now. Coated pistons, .020 over, oringed heads, stage 1 cam, rods, springs, lifters, some bigger nozzles, and maybe a single. I would be doing most of the work myself so that would save me a lot.

If you can afford all that, get a 6.7

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
With the truck under $10k, there wouldn't be that much more in the motor and trans. I would guess roughly $8-$10k more. Not enough to get a 6.7 anyway. If it is, let me know where I can find one that isn't trash for a price that low.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Many have said a 6.4 is great but when something goes it goes big. If you can live with fixing the one you speak of, and are willing to risk another 6-10k down the road if something goes then go for it. But I'll say if I would have known better I would have saved for a 6.7 as a D/D.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6.4f350

Reaction score
With the truck under $10k, there wouldn't be that much more in the motor and trans. I would guess roughly $8-$10k more. Not enough to get a 6.7 anyway. If it is, let me know where I can find one that isn't trash for a price that low.

I think you may be underestimating the cost of an engine build. For parts and shop supplies I spent just under $8,000 to rebuild mine this year with new rods, coated pistons, cam, etc. And that's without machine shop work.

Buying a truck with a bad engine with the intention of building it is something you do if you have an unlimited budget. There's no telling what's wrong or what needs replaced.

Since you are on a budget, I'd just wait and get a 6.7. The 6.4 is great when it's running, but when it breaks it gets expensive quick.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
I think you may be underestimating the cost of an engine build. For parts and shop supplies I spent just under $8,000 to rebuild mine this year with new rods, coated pistons, cam, etc. And that's without machine shop work.

Buying a truck with a bad engine with the intention of building it is something you do if you have an unlimited budget. There's no telling what's wrong or what needs replaced.

Since you are on a budget, I'd just wait and get a 6.7. The 6.4 is great when it's running, but when it breaks it gets expensive quick.

Did you have someone else do the work? Who did you get all your parts from and do the work for you? How high of horse did you build the motor? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering who and what you did with your motor

6.4f350

Reaction score
I did all of the work myself in my garage. I ordered all the parts from several vendors and dealers. I have stock fuel and turbos, just standard modifications. The truck bent the #1 rod so I did all new rods, coated pistons, cam, pushrods, lifters, already had new rockers, already had ARP studs, BD manifolds/uppipes, etc.

Stuff adds up - machine work to clean, bore, and hone the block is going to be a nice chunk of change, not to mention getting someone to O-ring the heads. A full OEM gasket set for the entire engine is going to be close to $1,000. Coated pistons are $1,200 or more. Pushrods, rockers, and lifters are $1,500. Cam is going to be $600-1,000. Springs and nozzles will be $1,000. That's nearly $6,000 in just parts of the top of my head, not including little bits that you'll need, other parts, shop supplies, special tools (Timing tool, main seal install tools), machine shop bill, etc. That also doesn't include any parts that you'll find you have to replace, since the motor is bad to begin with so you don't even know what's good and what's not. You could get into it and find that it sent garbage through the HPFP and you need to buy a new fuel pump and 8 injectors. There's a surprise $3,000-4,000 bill. I would be extremely hesitant to use a blown truck for anything but parts, regardless of the price or what I was told was wrong with it.

Building these trucks is not something you do 'on a budget.' Not trying to be a dick, but these trucks are expensive to own and more expensive when they break. If I were you I would just save up for something that has proven to be a little more reliable and not stick you with repair bills for several thousand dollars at every turn.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
To the Op:You asked for advice. You got it. Now you are arguing with the people that have been down the road you are wondering about.

My wife's two oldest from previous marriage run a diesel shop. Ive been helping out where I can. They work on 6l and 6.4s all day long. The 6l usually get maintenance. The 6.4s new motors. To buy the parts is right under 7k for a shortblock and two heads from ford. Its right around 8500 to rebuild it IF the block is good.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
To the Op:You asked for advice. You got it. Now you are arguing with the people that have been down the road you are wondering about.

My wife's two oldest from previous marriage run a diesel shop. Ive been helping out where I can. They work on 6l and 6.4s all day long. The 6l usually get maintenance. The 6.4s new motors. To buy the parts is right under 7k for a shortblock and two heads from ford. Its right around 8500 to rebuild it IF the block is good.

Who was I arguing with? I asked 6.4f350 some questions because I was curious. I have a 6.0 and I was asking about his build on his 6.4. I understand that its expensive to build. Thats why I was asking him questions and getting some knowledge from someone thats done a build and what all he did with it. I wasn't arguing at all

TyCorr

Reaction score
It seemed that way. My apologies.

We've got a 6.4 in the parking lot right now that has what is suspected to be two pistons with holes or big cracks in them. As it has to be torn down to inspect anyway, a full build is suggested. Its going to be 10 grand. Coated pistons, custom cam, billet rods, and a few other things. This is a tune only truck with exhaust and cai. Under 100k miles.

No way id be interested on spending that.

As I said, if you choose, call you ford garage and price out a shortblock and two heads. You'll be staring at 7 grand. You still have other work to do and may have trash accessories too.

No sweat. If you want to do it, just budget about 12k to get a blown up truck back into health. More if the injectors are shti.

swinky

Reaction score
I would never sell a 6.0 for a 6.4..... if you can't afford a 6.7 there's a good chance you can't afford a 6.4. I mean look at all the 6.4s for sale.....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would never sell a 6.0 for a 6.4..... if you can't afford a 6.7 there's a good chance you can't afford a 6.4. I mean look at all the 6.4s for sale.....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

People blow them up, hear the cost to replace, rebuild, and then upgrade on top of it to address the weak points. Then you get a big ole :doh:

NY_Mott

Reaction score
^ yup that's me, had my 08 with studs and full blah blah, tuned for a little over a year / 17k miles.
Believe it cracked a piston as I have zero compression in the #8 cyl.
I'm several weeks away from getting it started and anticipate about 10k or so to get it in good helath. My major goals are reliability and keeping my fingers crossed it turns into a good choice keeping it; as I caint afford a comparable 6.7
But believe me if I could I would be all over a new 6.7 king ranch or platinum.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
^ yup that's me, had my 08 with studs and full blah blah, tuned for a little over a year / 17k miles.
Believe it cracked a piston as I have zero compression in the #8 cyl.
I'm several weeks away from getting it started and anticipate about 10k or so to get it in good helath. My major goals are reliability and keeping my fingers crossed it turns into a good choice keeping it; as I caint afford a comparable 6.7
But believe me if I could I would be all over a new 6.7 king ranch or platinum.

you know i got your back if you need anything.

Reaction score
Something about a 6.4, it feels like you're doing drugs and don't know when you're gonna get a bad trip, but oh gosh when it kicks in it's amazing. If I was able to do it again I would do a 6.4 again and throw a single and nitrous again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.