Which would be a better option?

TyCorr

Reaction score
^ yup that's me, had my 08 with studs and full blah blah, tuned for a little over a year / 17k miles.
Believe it cracked a piston as I have zero compression in the #8 cyl.
I'm several weeks away from getting it started and anticipate about 10k or so to get it in good helath. My major goals are reliability and keeping my fingers crossed it turns into a good choice keeping it; as I caint afford a comparable 6.7
But believe me if I could I would be all over a new 6.7 king ranch or platinum.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That sucks man! Good luck!

NY_Mott

Reaction score
^^^ its just how the cookie crumbles some times lol.
Hey just want to clarify as maybe I was not completely clear, I bought the truck at 94k miles and engine work was already done; had it a year before it blew lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Still sucks. I know you gotta pay to play bla bla but it still sucks.

I think next week im going to get to help on a c15 build so that should be interesting. 700hp is the goal.

stroker221

Reaction score
I have a question they may help out the op. For those of you that have experience with both the 6.4 and 6.7, which costs more when say you go to need an engine rebuild? Which is going to have the best bang for your buck to get to 800hp the most reliable? Maybe a little broad but I picked 800 out of the air. Over all which has a better platform? I'd really like yo know but I really haven't heard much bad about the 6.7. I guess overall id just like to know if a catastrophic failure happened which would you rather it happen to for easiest of the wallet a 6.4 or 6.7?

Rubenk

Reaction score
I have a question they may help out the op. For those of you that have experience with both the 6.4 and 6.7, which costs more when say you go to need an engine rebuild? Which is going to have the best bang for your buck to get to 800hp the most reliable? Maybe a little broad but I picked 800 out of the air. Over all which has a better platform? I'd really like yo know but I really haven't heard much bad about the 6.7. I guess overall id just like to know if a catastrophic failure happened which would you rather it happen to for easiest of the wallet a 6.4 or 6.7?

6.7 for sure. 6.4 was a 3 year run and not much aftermarket development will happen for them here on out.

stroker221

Reaction score
6.7 for sure. 6.4 was a 3 year run and not much aftermarket development will happen for them here on out.

I sure hope they can stick with the 6.7 for a very long time and improve on it every year. I love the 6.4 but I just wish they were cheaper and didn't make me paranoid

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Still sucks. I know you gotta pay to play bla bla but it still sucks.

I think next week im going to get to help on a c15 build so that should be interesting. 700hp is the goal.

Man, I'd love to see this C15. What's it going into? Those motors are badas$. :evil

TyCorr

Reaction score
Man, I'd love to see this C15. What's it going into? Those motors are badas$. :evil

Otr peterbilt...

did one two months ago that aimed at 800 and hit 860 something...bad em effer.

that 800hp build was done after ppi tuning and turbo "upgrade" that struggled to make 500 and was a hot piece of crap. Much of the gain was found with internal engine mods. The new tuning is barely different than stock. Pw is reduced to keep the power DOWN.

It hauls azz for sure.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
I would love to run a 700 horse rig. My old grain train has maybe 500 LOL but hopefully I'll have a pete one day :eek:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Man there is a lot of 6.4 hate in here. If you looking at making 750-800 hp I would go 6.4 all day. 6.7's are great engines but still fall short in the power department and if you looking for that 750-800hp power range you will be money ahead with the 6.4. In my opinion of course.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I don't think its hate. Thete are a lot of people who paid big $$ for built setups that still crapped the bed.

It is what it is. If you have to drive it daily a 6.4 seems like a gamble. Just the little bit of time ive spent around shops id take a 6l over a 6.4.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Man there is a lot of 6.4 hate in here. If you looking at making 750-800 hp I would go 6.4 all day. 6.7's are great engines but still fall short in the power department and if you looking for that 750-800hp power range you will be money ahead with the 6.4. In my opinion of course.

I don't think anyone is hating, I love my 6.4. Fact of the matter is they require deep pockets to run and keep running, though. Even more so if you want to make those sort of power numbers with one.

JMart

Reaction score

One man's hater is another man's truth speaker.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
It doesn't matter which platform you build on in order to make big power it will take deep pockets to get it there as well as keep it there. Sure a piston could go anytime on a 6.4 but in order to make decent power with a 6.7 you would most likely need rods.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Everything about a 6.4 is more picky and expensive. Hell we can't even get a new HPFP. 6.7 uses standard proven pumps used in more than one application for a few years.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Is IH still using the 6.4 in the medium duty market?

Couldnt find much info on applications and years. But the block for sure changed in 2010 and is no longer interchangeable with the 6.4 powerstroke. Before then the blocks were the same.

Cant find any info on what applications the K16 is used in either, but I didnt spend much time on my search.

Latest posts

Members online