Why do 6.4 rocker arms wear out and 6.0s dont?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Just fuel in the oil from regens?
7b5b0b662431aa6d0f4c37a6999f4318.jpg

Black AOD

Reaction score
I don't have a legitimate/logical answer for you. I know 6.4 rocker arms have always worn out severely, even tuned and dlete trucks still wear badly. It's too bad no one ever made a good adjustable billet set, that would probably resolve the issue. The guess about fuel in oil from regens isn't a bad thought. It could be that. Maybe 6.4 rocker arms are made from a cheaper grade metal? I honestly don't know

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I don't have a legitimate/logical answer for you. I know 6.4 rocker arms have always worn out severely, even tuned and dlete trucks still wear badly. It's too bad no one ever made a good adjustable billet set, that would probably resolve the issue. The guess about fuel in oil from regens isn't a bad thought. It could be that. Maybe 6.4 rocker arms are made from a cheaper grade metal? I honestly don't know

a company that we deal with is doing some testing for a hd/billet rocker arm, not sure on progress ill call them before weeks out and see if they have gotten anywhere

sootie

Reaction score
poor lubrication in the rocker boxes of six fours. There is more oil getting splashed around under the rockers covers of a huei engine vs common rail.

dboat

Reaction score
I had mine checked when the oil cooler was replaced and was told they were fine. This is at 165K miles

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
poor lubrication in the rocker boxes of six fours. There is more oil getting splashed around under the rockers covers of a huei engine vs common rail.

Exactly, 6.0 injector splash alone oils the rocker more than a 6.4 ever sees.
When running a 6.4 with the valve cover off the only oil that gets to the rocker arm tip is through the small hole above the push rod. It runs down the top of the rocker arm and kinda helps lube the tip, that's a tiny amount of oil. I'm not sure how it looks at wot, but at idle it's not good.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
so my question would be; has anyone successfully ran oil to each valve cover like has been mentioned before in other posts using an oil bypass system?

I'd like to think if it's such an issue someone would have developed a way to prevent premature failures.

Real interested in what Airfish says on those HD updates.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
id say the average milege for these wearing out is about 125k. figure you put on a new set at that milege, you wont need to put on another set. theyll outlast the engine and more than likely your ownership. I dont see a reason to try and do a 6.7 type oil system on them. change em once and be done

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
i believe the updated rockers are nothing but a hole drilled into the tip part... I do not think any material was changed. from running many of these with VC's off, they seem to get plenty of oil. I believe most of the issue is how caked the oil can get in these with the regen and people just not changing the oil at all. Out of all the motors ive been in, 6.4s seem to MURDER the oil in the worst fashion. I have guys that sware they change it 5k and yet it stains my hands like ink... i contribute this to the very high blowby all of these motors have. lots of carbon getting into the crankcase

Rubenk

Reaction score
i believe the updated rockers are nothing but a hole drilled into the tip part... I do not think any material was changed. from running many of these with VC's off, they seem to get plenty of oil. I believe most of the issue is how caked the oil can get in these with the regen and people just not changing the oil at all. Out of all the motors ive been in, 6.4s seem to MURDER the oil in the worst fashion. I have guys that sware they change it 5k and yet it stains my hands like ink... i contribute this to the very high blowby all of these motors have. lots of carbon getting into the crankcase

Its really surprising how many run the cheapest oil they can get in these things.

Not to be a Jim/LE nutswinger, but I only ran it about 2k miles before opening the valve covers to do pushrods and springs and my 185k mile valvetrain was the cleanest my mechanic's and I have seen with that mileage! They both bought buckets of LE oil after that project.

Jomax

Reaction score
The simple fact of noone wants to change their oil is most of it. Poor lube circuit is also not helping it's longevity.

X2. I've had my uncle change his 6.0 oil at 35k miles. And the last place to do it was a quick lube so you know it was cheap oil...... I was surprised the thing ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdgleason

Reaction score
Shooting from the hip but I would guess 6.4s also have more seat pressure than a 6.0 since they see higher boost and back pressure...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Shooting from the hip but I would guess 6.4s also have more seat pressure than a 6.0 since they see higher boost and back pressure...

For sure. And it has to be contributing to the increased wear/decreased service life.

wcso873

Reaction score
Its really surprising how many run the cheapest oil they can get in these things.

Not to be a Jim/LE nutswinger, but I only ran it about 2k miles before opening the valve covers to do pushrods and springs and my 185k mile valvetrain was the cleanest my mechanic's and I have seen with that mileage! They both bought buckets of LE oil after that project.

Whats LE oil?? If it's that good I'd like to check it out.

" Jesus loves you" a wonderful thing to hear in church. A horrific thing to hear in a Mexican prison...

Latest posts

Members online