why no love for k&n

jbaal

Reaction score
Seen a lot of people on here downing them. I'm not tryin to defend them. I do run one of there cold air kits it came on the truck. Just want to learn.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Seems that the drop in filters let alot of dirt by and have caused dusted engines.....

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
The competitors like AFE have more layers of gauge in their filters. Ever flour fine dust can kill a turbo. If you pull your filter and the inside of the tube doesn't pass a white glove test...get a better filter.

B.Warning

Reaction score
I despise them because there a oiled filter. Why pay for them when you can run a afe, s&b, or anything that has proven themselves.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
It's the stock replacement filters that get no love. They don't seal very well with the stock air box and will "dust" the turbo.

The cone filters are fine IMO...

Atsah

Reaction score
I never had problems with them but they let some dirt by that's for sure. If you oil them a little to much, oil builds up on the MAF and codes will appear. With better non oiled filters on the market, IMO, K&N intakes and filters are not worth the trouble.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Take a k&n and a flashlight in a dark room.. it will look like the night sky.

jbaal

Reaction score
Haha....... Any suggestions on what I should getto replace it. I've seen the s&b set ups with the enclosed filter box it doesn't look bad

Atsah

Reaction score
So I gather I should save up and put somethin different on the truck

If you maintain the K&N properly and don't drive on dirt roads you may never have a problem but there are better products on the market that's for sure..

Mdub707

Reaction score
I used to run K&N's on my race quads. Granted this is like a worst case scenario. It was in an open air box running around a dusty track. I was METICULOUS with my filter maintenance. I would clean and re-oil after EVERY ride. Well after a season of MX, I noticed my quad smoking on start up and when I stabbed the throttle. I started paying way more attention to what was happening. I could take the K&N off after a race and run a clean white rag through my intake and pick up little pieces of dirt/sand. I started trying to clean more thoroughly and also tried about 6 or 7 different filter oils. NOTHING got the dirt to stop. I then went and bought some UNI foam filters. Low and behold... no more dirt in my intake. They were also less expensive, and easier to clean/re-oil. Now just imagine how this works on a boosted engine, as opposed to my naturally aspirated quad motors... not to mention the oiled filters seem like a bad idea in general for turbo diesels.

I will never use a K&N on anything I own again. For my truck now I use an AFE proguard 7 dry filter. Love it.

Latest posts

Members online