Winter has brought up some issues

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So I loaned my Dad my E1999 F350, to use on the farm this winter and he has noticed a few things that arent really an issue but I would like to know more about:

It has been a consistant 30 degrees every morning and if it is plugged in it chugs like a tractor and then high idles (normal). When its not plugged in he has to cycle the glow plugs two-three times (he knows about them staying on after the light goes of), it then barely catches to start and runs rough till he gets it down the road (after idling 5 or so minutes).

It has brand new factory glow plugs as of July. GPR has proper voltage

His thought is new injectors (mine have 280K on them)

I was thinking ICP, refresh the IDM, and a Stancor Relay before injectors

Any thoughts?

I understand cold weather effects everything differnt, but this truck has to be 100% reliable for several years to come.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
i've got one on my rig. dad has one on his, and my brother as well

Alright I just ordered one, it will be there on Tuesday

280k on original injectors? I would say that is your problem right there!!

Serious? I mean I would understand, but I know they are the originals except for one. I get pretty low milage to, but I figured that has something to do with the ICP, it being a dually with 4:10s and my right foot......I dont know

mattman347

Reaction score
Injectors can and will just start to run low on power and get poor milage. There might not be a "miss" but they can be worn across the board causing the hard starts/smoke.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep. I am betting on injectors.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

Petro

Reaction score
Yep, replaced a set for a guy this summer. Truck had right at 200k on it and even with it being 80* the truck wouldnt start without either. Broke down, put a set of injectors I had laying around in it and starts like a new one everytime now. They wear out just like everything else.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Start basic and change the oil. Go synthetic and your engine will love you.

Doing a change next week for the winter. Going with Rotella T6 5/40. Hoping the thinner oil leads to better cold starts. This will be my first time with synthetic, as the new engine is just getting broken in.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Injectors can and will just start to run low on power and get poor milage. There might not be a "miss" but they can be worn across the board causing the hard starts/smoke.

Yep. I am betting on injectors.

Yep, replaced a set for a guy this summer. Truck had right at 200k on it and even with it being 80* the truck wouldnt start without either. Broke down, put a set of injectors I had laying around in it and starts like a new one everytime now. They wear out just like everything else.

Hopefully I can wait till summer to get some new ones, luckily my dad works at a parts store!!

I know everyone is going to chime in about this and that size aftermarket ones, but since its an E99 it has AB injectors right?

So if I want to keep stock injectors what ones are the best ones? AD or AE or ? This truck is just for drivin and farming so for me stock stuff is best

Thanks for all the info guys

Arisley

Reaction score
You can get good stock injectors from a lot of vendors here way cheaper than parts house price with a Daddy discount.

Personally I would go with a set of mild single shots. With a chip tuned for them. You will still save money and wake the truck up and make it run like it is supposed to. Increase MPG's a bit and no loss of reliability.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
You can get good stock injectors from a lot of vendors here way cheaper than parts house price with a Daddy discount.

Personally I would go with a set of mild single shots. With a chip tuned for them. You will still save money and wake the truck up and make it run like it is supposed to. Increase MPG's a bit and no loss of reliability.

I have considered this before, but Im not totally sure this is the route I wanna go. I really like the new hydra chip from PHP, but $500 plus injectors........ I dont know

dietoremain

Reaction score
id say injectors are tired out for sure, my truck is about to roll 200k on original injectors and still plenty smooth and plenty of goooo... but lets just say shes getting some new ones anyway before these get tired out :p.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
id say injectors are tired out for sure, my truck is about to roll 200k on original injectors and still plenty smooth and plenty of goooo... but lets just say shes getting some new ones anyway before these get tired out :p.

Mine seem to be the same, the truck runs fine and pulls good (as good as it needs to I guess) just cold starting takes a bit longer than I want it to.

Maybe next summer I can start to think about buying some. At this point Im going to install the Stancor Relay, and do a few other things to prep for new injectors.

So, I have a 15* HPOP, is that going to need upgraded if I get stage 1s? If I need to upgrade the HPOP, get a chip, and new injectors I think Im going to stay with stock and just get some ADs to replace my ABs

Latest posts

Members online