Zf6 clutch help

rjustman

Reaction score
I have the weirdest thing happening with a zf6 clutch..I can't get the truck to go,in gear with clutch depressed so I started truck with truck in gear,it started to move forward.after I got truck started I let clutch out slowly and truck STOPPED moving..so I pushed clutch back IN and the truck started moving..I can run through all the gears,all forward and reverse with clutch pedal out and truck running..but when I depress,clutch pedal the truck moves..like the clutch is backwards or something..anyone have any idea?? I just spent 800 on a south bend but this is weird..

rjustman

Reaction score
No..it's installed correctly far as I can tell may be broken..but either way don't really explain why it would work backwards..the slave still pushes against it,not pull away from it ya know..south bend thinks I have somw,broken springs..Sunday will tell all when new clutch get a here and I pull it apart..

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Best guess is the pressure plate. Typically it pushes the clutch against the flywheel and releases when the pedal is pressed in. If it's broken or not installed right (having a hard time picturing that) then pushing the pedal in could be pushing the plate into the clutch and the pressure plate could be coming away from the clutch when your not stepping on the pedal. Your going to have to pull the trans off to see what is going.

Now that I have had a minute to think about it, I bet the pressure plate came unbolted from the flywheel or is broken where it mounts to the flywheel.

Last edited:

rjustman

Reaction score
I'm kinda eager to see what's going on..I'll post pics of findings...my uncle's been a mechanic for 42 years and all he did was laugh.

How often or does it really happen,do the clutch forks break or bend in these trucks..I have a 2000 was it in 99 and 2000 that they had a weaker fork then was upgraded in 2001?? Where would I get one? Dealership only??

Overdrive

Reaction score
You should be able to pull the inspection cover. Before going through and unbolting the transmission.

rjustman

Reaction score
Could find an inspection plate?? The one I did find that was t the front of the bell I took off..could not see flywheel..nothing else

mandkole

Reaction score
Can you pull the bottom inspection plate on the bellhousing, have someone work the pedal, look up in there and see what the clutch assembly does? Definitely sounds like something is assembled incorrect or broken.

Overdrive

Reaction score
Your clutch disc could be facing the wrong way
Make sure the fork is seated right
Fingers aren't bent

Last edited:

rjustman

Reaction score
I pulled bottom inspection plate and all I could see was engine side of flywheel..unless im not pulling right plate..

mandkole

Reaction score
they must be different than the zf5 then--I could actually see the disk lining and whole assy. Easy to see much it was worn.

rjustman

Reaction score
I couldn't see anything besides the front side of flywheel..the clutch,new fork and pivot all came in today.so hopefully Sunday I'll have an update

rjustman

Reaction score
Well parts came in and I got to the point of dropping trans and the stupid thing won't come out..anyone ever used a comealong around rear axle and pull it out..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well parts came in and I got to the point of dropping trans and the stupid thing won't come out..anyone ever used a comealong around rear axle and pull it out..
110% positive you have all the bolts out? it should slide back with a lil help but id say something is definitely wrong.

live life full throttle

rjustman

Reaction score
3 bolts in starter and 6 in bell housing right..2 on each side and 2 up top..4 long and 2 short

mandkole

Reaction score
If the clutch was engaged earlier with the pedal out, the disk may have moved. Sounds like its jammed between the input and clutch disk-- perhaps stick it in gear and rock the output yoke back and forth. Maybe tap the throwout lever with a soft hammer?

rjustman

Reaction score
1206151239_zpss9wl9ec8.jpg

rjustman

Reaction score
I'm not mechanic but I think there was a problem with more than just a busted spring

Latest posts

Members online