'08-up with a 6.0?

Tonka350

Reaction score
I would most definitely just update the body, it's alot less headache, no worries what so ever about EPA regulations. and the body update doesn't take long at all....with everything it took me 1 day to get it completed...and cost a little under 2k dollars with a cowl hood and custom grille....just saying that'd be your better option. you could probably pick up a COMPLETE interior for about 2k dollars ( dash and all ) and have the complete 08 interior into the 05-07 model and no worries about DPF and all the other stuff....the van loophole MAY work but if you get the one jerk who thinks he knows the laws it could go very badly for you.......most cops don't look at the motor, they just look at the body work and run the vin....the 08 vin would come back with a 6.4...when they look under the truck there's no DPF it's a HUGE fine and too much PITA I'd want to deal with. I say 6.0 body swap....he runs the vin and bam it comes up as a 6.0.....it just looks like a 2008. I say go this route bud, you'd be better off.

Chad

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
Has nobody read the first post of the thread?:wtf:

Let me break it all down for you.
Yeah, the easiest thing for most people would be to buy all the stuff off another truck.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell or trade my '04 for an '08 with a blown or messed up engine (like I said, shouldnt be hard to find).
Sell all parts I dont need.
Install 6.0 engine THAT I ALREADY HAVE.
Use money that I have from selling 6.4 junk to buy whatever I need to do conversion.
I should have money left over.

6.0 advantages:
I have tons of 6.0 parts.
I have tons of 6.0 knowledge.
Easier to work on.
Its better than a 6.4 :flipa:
Swapping in a 6.0 is still better than putting a cummins in it :fordoval:

Fixing the 6.4 advantages:
I was told it had more power I think?????
Ummm, thats all I can think of right now.

I own a shop, so in a few years when I have accumulated more 6.4 parts and knowledge I could keep it the way it is. All this is theoretical anyway. I may never do it. I may get started next week. Depends on if I stumble up on a truck.

A year ago I bought a 98 beetle tdi (not running) for $900. Brought it home, cleaned it up, got it running, and traded it for an e99 F-250 with a bad engine. I had a 97 f-350 behind the shop with a bad transmission. Bought it and put the engine in the F-250. I drove it for a few months until I ran across a guy that had a '04.5 King Ranch dually with problems and no money. I traded him the F-250 even for it. I'm driving it now. Got a few more things to do on it and then it will be ready to for the next opportunity. Just a little story about my way of thinking to help you understand why.

We dont get inspections around here. DPF is a non issue. Nobody looks under the hood.

Tonka350

Reaction score
have at it man, you are making alot of wierd decisions brother....you already have the 6.0...you want to trade it for a broke ass truck with a blown motor to put another motor you built into it?...have at it....

Chad

neverkickn

Reaction score
Has nobody read the first post of the thread?:wtf:

Let me break it all down for you.
Yeah, the easiest thing for most people would be to buy all the stuff off another truck.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to sell or trade my '04 for an '08 with a blown or messed up engine (like I said, shouldnt be hard to find).
Sell all parts I dont need.
Install 6.0 engine THAT I ALREADY HAVE.
Use money that I have from selling 6.4 junk to buy whatever I need to do conversion.
I should have money left over.

6.0 advantages:
I have tons of 6.0 parts.
I have tons of 6.0 knowledge.
Easier to work on.
Its better than a 6.4:flipa:
Swapping in a 6.0 is still better than putting a cummins in it :fordoval:

Fixing the 6.4 advantages:
I was told it had more power I think?????
Ummm, thats all I can think of right now.

I own a shop, so in a few years when I have accumulated more 6.4 parts and knowledge I could keep it the way it is. All this is theoretical anyway. I may never do it. I may get started next week. Depends on if I stumble up on a truck.

A year ago I bought a 98 beetle tdi (not running) for $900. Brought it home, cleaned it up, got it running, and traded it for an e99 F-250 with a bad engine. I had a 97 f-350 behind the shop with a bad transmission. Bought it and put the engine in the F-250. I drove it for a few months until I ran across a guy that had a '04.5 King Ranch dually with problems and no money. I traded him the F-250 even for it. I'm driving it now. Got a few more things to do on it and then it will be ready to for the next opportunity. Just a little story about my way of thinking to help you understand why.

We dont get inspections around here. DPF is a non issue. Nobody looks under the hood.

Really?

A studded, deleted 6.0 is better than a studded, deleted 6.4?

Beans71086

Reaction score
Better performance engine- negative
Better fuel mileage after tuned- not really
Easier to work on- nope
More reliable engine- Working for a company that has a fleet of about 30 ford f250, 350, and 450s that range in years and engines from 7.3 to 6.7. I'd have to say that the 6.0s have been the least reliable engine the company has purchased.

MorganY

Reaction score
But what if the 6.0 came from a 08 van?

for legality reasons..swap the exterior. I hear from all the ford techs that the 6.4s suck

As for the interior, the swap for the instrument panel would be a HUGE headache to re wire everything, if even possible.. and I bet all the gauges wouldn't work

Last edited:

MorganY

Reaction score
but I like the idea

As for which one is better, I like my 6.0 bc I know a lot about them.
It all depends on who you talk to, some people are more stubborn than others.

I also haven't heard of good things about the bottom ends of 6.4s

87jumpy

Reaction score
but I like the idea

As for which one is better, I like my 6.0 bc I know a lot about them.
It all depends on who you talk to, some people are more stubborn than others.

I also haven't heard of good things about the bottom ends of 6.4s

Huh? 6.4s are putting down 1000+ on stock bottom ends

MorganY

Reaction score
Huh? 6.4s are putting down 1000+ on stock bottom ends

Woah easy there. not from anyone on here. I have spoke to 3 Ford diesel techs at Champion Ford in Katy, Team Navasota Ford, and Varsity Ford in college station, just shooting sh*ts and they mentioned 6.4 bottom end issues, granted 6.0s have their own issues on the bottom end too..

1000? must not last long, that goes for any 1000 hp stock bottom end

chappy

Reaction score
My biggest complaint with any powerstroke is the fuel milage. Other then that It would be a neat swap to put a 6.0 in a 08. My biggest fear on buying a 6.4 is also the idea of a injector hanging open an killing the motor on any common rail or debris getting in like I have heard or water contamination and killing the injectors and thus killing the motor. Thats to damn much money for me but I'm a broke sob.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
My family has had alot of 6.o's and 6.4's. My dad has never had an issue with either. My 6.o's were nice trucks but the 04 lost a turbo, the 06 was paid off and was worse than haveing a truck payment every month. Now in 08 we had one 6.4 that shot flames,then another that lost 2 injectors. Our 09-10 6.4's have been flawless. Except for a few minor isses on mine.

TripleE44

Reaction score
If you're just more comfortable with the 6.0 by all means go with the 6.0. But I think you're focusing too much on horror stories of the 6.4. There are tons of guys with no issues. But I do understand the draw of the beast that you know versus the unknown. I love my 6.4.

With all that said, this is gonna kill resale value by limiting your market. Why would someone want a more expensive 6.0? I get the interior and all that, but you won't get the same as with a 6.4 in it.

I think you should spend some more time reading 6.4 build logs. They're not as bad as you're thinking.