2005 Axle Swap

Gootee

Reaction score
I'm currently sitting right about 27.5- 28" so about a 4in lift would do the trick? Would a 4 link set up be worth while being your already in there?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
You would want a 4" kit with 4 link arms as the stock arms bind and no not ride as well as a correctly setup V and B coded RS kit.

Additionally 4 link arms allow you to add additional Castor..to 4.5% which is needed. Stock castor on OBS and 99-04 SD's is the same or more. The '05's up spec 0-2* whick is the real issue with complaints of wobbling..not the track bar..

Gootee

Reaction score
So would I be better off with a rs and springs or converting to the 4 link coil as far as overall ride goes. She might see offroad maybe 5% of my driving.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Ride quality will have nothing to do with whether you go off road or not, street or offroad will be better with a RS kit and sd springs over a stock '05 up Radius arm system IMO..Best ride quality would be the '05 up axles and a 4 link kit..plus your getting much better turning radius with '05 up axles and 4 wheel disk brakes!

Gootee

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I was just referring to articulation or what not but I really like the thought of disc brakes! And actually making u turns! Shoot me a pm with a price of the lift if possible?

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
i put a 2.5" lift coils in the front and i clear 35" (295/70/r18) tires with no problem.. i put 4" blocks in the rear and thats not enough to get my towing rake back... gonna have to go to 5"

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
got some more pics for everyone..... these are my old bushings in the D50... SHOT.... THAT IS WHY IM DOING ALL OF THIS IS BECAUSE OF THAT BUSHING, WELL BASICLY

59d1311557151-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0537.jpg

GOT MY F350 4" BLOCKS IN AND PUT MY OBS OVERLOADS ON FOR NOW UNTILL I FIND A BETTER SET

60d1311557312-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0543.jpg

GOT MY RADIUS ARMS BOLTED IN AND READY FOR SOME STITCH WELDS

62d1311557524-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0541.jpg

I DECIDED TO JUST BUTT THE MOUNTS UP AGAINST THE BODY MOUNT AND NOT CUT THE MOUNT BACK ANY. I LIKED WHERE IT WAS.... I WAS CONTAPLATING MOVING THE AXLE FORWERD TO GIVE ME MORE CLEARANCE ON THE FENDER FOR BIGGER TIRES AND JUST TRIM THE FRONT BUMPER BUT LIKE I SAID, THEY WERE PERFECT RIGHT THERE

63d1311557640-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0542.jpg

A SHOT OF THE AXLES IN THERE FINAL SPOT. SPRINGS ARE NOT IN YET

64d1311557819-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-dscn0539.jpg

Reaction score
Dang.... This looks like it wouldn't be too bad of a swap and makes me really want to do this... LOL It looks good man. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Your missing a rivet on the body mount.

yes i know.... when i was grinding off the backs of the rivits to driveout the old leafspring pearch i started on the wrong one. i just reamed it out and put one of the 1/2" bolts iwas usin for the swap in. its not missing any more

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Dang.... This looks like it wouldn't be too bad of a swap and makes me really want to do this... LOL It looks good man. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

its really not. the hardest part is the track bar mount. call Cary at CT Performance Inc. and he will hook you up. he is a vendor on here. he invented the swap and knows all the ins and outs.

i didnt have to go as far as i di on the rear but i needed new spring pearches and hangers so instead of buyin OBS ones i just used the SD ones an modified the frame. and i wanted to paint everything

Reaction score
its really not. the hardest part is the track bar mount. call Cary at CT Performance Inc. and he will hook you up. he is a vendor on here. he invented the swap and knows all the ins and outs.

i didnt have to go as far as i di on the rear but i needed new spring pearches and hangers so instead of buyin OBS ones i just used the SD ones an modified the frame. and i wanted to paint everything

Yeah, I'm looking for '05+ trucks being parted out now and if or when I do the swap I'll definitely get in touch with Cary.. I'll tell my GF to come on here and blame you when she finds out. LOL

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
she is over 2000 miles away. tell her to give me here best shot... just a heads up. this is with 2.5" lift coils

-Roller with no wheels- $2000
-Wheels (mine were free)- $500?
-coils and adj track bar- $550
-4" f350 blocks and u-bolts (j-yard) -$75
-grade 8 fine thread bolts 1/2"-$400>>> with all the drill bits and a 1/2" reamer that i highly recomed

prolly another $500 in there somewhere and i sold all my old stuff

Reaction score
she is over 2000 miles away. tell her to give me here best shot... just a heads up. this is with 2.5" lift coils

-Roller with no wheels- $2000
-Wheels (mine were free)- $500?
-coils and adj track bar- $550
-4" f350 blocks and u-bolts (j-yard) -$75
-grade 8 fine thread bolts 1/2"-$400>>> with all the drill bits and a 1/2" reamer that i highly recomed

prolly another $500 in there somewhere and i sold all my old stuff

LOL I was just playing, she is now trying to convince me to do this since I mentioned it.

Just found an '06 F-250 4x4 gasser getting parted out. Gonna check it out. Not sure what gearing it has, but I think I would want to use the 5.4 springs anyways to keep it lower.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
sounds like a plan.... you will really like it once its done and will never regret it. its worth just the looks i get and the confused faces i get when i drive by or stop at a gas staion

Latest posts

Members online