40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

dsberman94

Reaction score
But we don't all have f450s laying around in junk yards just to get the driveshafts out of. And buying a well made 1 piece shaft, I can almost guarantee, would be cheaper than buying the new 450 2 piece shaft through ford.

TyCorr

Reaction score
As long as the angles match, and the carrier is adjusted I've never had a 2 piece vibrate

But on a high horsepower situation it takes so much more to make a 1 piece take what the two piece can. These guys have to make these huge driveshafts when a stock F450 2 piece takes it all day every day @ 1000..

That is relevant for about 3 people on this entire forum lol...

I don't know about 1k hp but at sub 600...my single piece 5" al shaft is great. Its night and day.

JMart

Reaction score
But we don't all have f450s laying around in junk yards just to get the driveshafts out of. And buying a well made 1 piece shaft, I can almost guarantee, would be cheaper than buying the new 450 2 piece shaft through ford.

You also don't have a 1000hp truck to worry about. If you could afford that, you wouldn't be concerned with getting the cheapest parts you could find.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You also don't have a 1000hp truck to worry about. If you could afford that, you wouldn't be concerned with getting the cheapest parts you could find.

Exactly...im no baller but my driveshaft was a grand....

Im out of this scene. I have an old ccsb diesel im doing up and its my truck to pull my enclosed trailer. Other than that, i drive a car.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think the bracing will get rid of the hop. That may improve slightly the handling but that's it... the frames are plenty strong in these trucks.

I looked at a cclb truck the other day that didn't have the hop and it had a different driveline then normal....

Nope its still a two piece.

Then what's different!!! You're killing US lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed ^^^^^^^

x2

My '16 is a CCLB dually

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

neverkickn

Reaction score
i can watch my entire body line in my mirror and when the hop occurs, i can see it flex between the bed and box.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

I have noticed that too. But it seems odd that a few sacks of concrete over the rear axle wil almost eliminate the hop. That makes me wonder if it has something to do with the springs and/or shocks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have noticed that too. But it seems odd that a few sacks of concrete over the rear axle wil almost eliminate the hop. That makes me wonder if it has something to do with the springs and/or shocks.
only time mine stops is with my truck hooked to a loaded gooseneck.. its just a shimmy on take off then.

live life full throttle

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Yep I had 6 boxes of tile and 4 sacks of mortar in the bed last week and felt no hop on the way to the house. Unloaded that little bit of weight and noticed a huge difference when I left the house. Idk smh

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jesus....it sounds like when you lift a truck and the rear isnt aligned quite right and starts hopping. Im guessing its not the same but just an idea.

Is the center locating pin in the rear leaf packs tight?

Layson

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with lifting it. When you can go right to the dealership and drive a truck right off the lot that does it brand new....LOL. All (6) CCLB trucks my friend drove all did it right at the dealership. His CCLB truck did it too. Installed a lift kit on CCLB and the hop was still there. I know he had to do quite a bit of messing with the shock valving to get rid of the hop.

When you think about how long the entire drive train is on a CCLB truck. From front of motor to the rear axle and all that spinning at X,XXX rpms. It is probably hitting the resonant frequency of the drivetrain. When it does it your truck is bouncing vertically up and down. You could brace the entire bottom of the frame all the way front to back and nomatter what it will still bounce up and down. The only way to make the frame say stronger is by adding material to it from almost one end to the other. And also you would need some heftier shocks front and rear. That is why some of the guys running the larger shocks like 2.5's don't seem to feel any hopping. If you have ****ty shocks on your truck, it probably is going to be worse.

When you start looking across the interweb dodges, f150s and not sure on chevys all have complained about that 45 mph speed and hopping. I don't think they all do it but it seems to be something somewhat common.

Some people see a reduction in hopping when they have weight in the bed. This can affect that resonant frequency and when you add weight in the bed it also changes the pinion angle on the axle.

I don't think this is a two piece driveline versus a 1 piece driveline. I think that may help with the CCSB but not the CCLB. The CCLB seem to be very prone to this. It is hard to get a one piece driveline made that is that long, kind of a safety issue, and people have done it and still seem to have the hop. Not everybody wants to spend 1,500 on a driveline that long either.

I don't think this has anything to do with the hop on take off. That is mainly driveline/pinion alignment issue or not having traction bars or it is something else with your drivetrain.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I didnt say it was lifting it. I said "it sounds LIKE when you lift a truck and......."

Lets face it, sometimes it tskes a few miles to get a lift to settle in and the alignment to be great. I had a superlift springpack do some goofy shti on me once. Took to a rhird party spring shop and the pin was 3/16" off from center.

Layson

Reaction score
I didnt say it was lifting it. I said "it sounds LIKE when you lift a truck and......."

Lets face it, sometimes it tskes a few miles to get a lift to settle in and the alignment to be great. I had a superlift springpack do some goofy shti on me once. Took to a rhird party spring shop and the pin was 3/16" off from center.

Definitely

Mine started to hop worse after limiting just tossing that In there

Is yours a short bed?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
What I don't understand, if this hopping issue is so prevalent on these truch, why hasn't NTSB looked into it?

Is there a place where one can look up this issue if it's so common?

Billy T.
[email protected]

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What I don't understand, if this hopping issue is so prevalent on these truch, why hasn't NTSB looked into it?

Is there a place where one can look up this issue if it's so common?

Billy T.
[email protected]

what is NTSB?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online