5r110 manual tc lockup switch

Jarrod B

Reaction score
My 4r flashed the light for a few mins then went off when I turned the switch off. On the 5r, does it do the same or you have to restart the engine?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My 4r flashed the light for a few mins then went off when I turned the switch off. On the 5r, does it do the same or you have to restart the engine?

shut the truck off and restart,to reset the pcm

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i wired that switch up last night. works like a charm. no limp mode. i can hot lock it(toggled up), shut the converter off(toggle off), pcm mode(toggle down)

when the pcm would normally have the converter locked,and you have the switch toggled up, it will blink the t/h light.(prolly a circuit high code. i didnt check yet.) it doesnt effect trans operation. once you toggle down while the light blinks, the light goes out and all is well.

the trans never limped on me once:thumbup:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
How come it's harder on converters by locking manually than locking through the tuning?

The computer normally applies a pulse width modulated signal to lock the converter, so it "smoothly" applies the lock up clutch. Applying a full ground to the lock up will make an abrupt lock, under full throttle its probably ok, but under part throttle acceleration you will get damaged clutches and possibly broken shafts as well.

04 stroker

Reaction score
Could a guy use a rheostat type switch instead of a toggle? That way you could apply it with a twist of the knob instead of all at once like a toggle. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The computer normally applies a pulse width modulated signal to lock the converter, so it "smoothly" applies the lock up clutch. Applying a full ground to the lock up will make an abrupt lock, under full throttle its probably ok, but under part throttle acceleration you will get damaged clutches and possibly broken shafts as well.
Not on the 5R110. This transmission uses a Variable Force Solenoid (VFS) instead of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solenoid.

Where the PWM pulses, the VFS applies pressure proportional to the current sent to the solenoid.

The end result is that it does control the apply of the converter clutch to bring it on smoothly instead of slamming on.
Could a guy use a rheostat type switch instead of a toggle? That way you could apply it with a twist of the knob instead of all at once like a toggle. I'm just thinking out loud here.
That might work, it might burn out the driver in the PCM. I don't know which one.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
the way ford applys lock up, it brings in lockup at a lil slower rate so the oil has enough time to drain out of the cavety, when you use the lock up switch, you drain the oil at such a rate that it cups the steels in the lock up clutch, before you non sayers say anything. we failed converters, then cut them open and this is a cocsistant result, big hp lock up switchs on the 5r does work good, you do gain a bit of et, however you'll only get one weekend out of your expensive converter

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
depends on how you abuse your truck, if you have innovatives tunes that lock the truck in 2second gear, allow the truck to start the intial lock and then manually lock it, it'll last a while, but your gain in et isn't going to be as good, if you lock it prior to the pcm locking it, thats when your forcing the fluid out of the converter so fast it starts to bend the steels, abuse it and a dozen passes maybe

me2

Reaction score
depends on how you abuse your truck, if you have innovatives tunes that lock the truck in 2second gear, allow the truck to start the intial lock and then manually lock it, it'll last a while, but your gain in et isn't going to be as good, if you lock it prior to the pcm locking it, thats when your forcing the fluid out of the converter so fast it starts to bend the steels, abuse it and a dozen passes maybe

So is the problem that you are locking the TC with a poor sequence, ie locking it too fast with the manual switch or is the problem that the TC is locked period ?

Its fairly easy to create a circuit that gently applies the voltage to the valve to lock it up in a manner that doesn't damage the TC. If that is, in fact, the problem.

The other issue is shifting. The TCM commands the TC to be unlocked during some shifts so cushion the clutches during engagement. When you lock the TC during the shift and the TCM can't unlock it, there is a lot more stress on the clutches during that initial lock.

However, a locked TC puts a lot less torque through the transmission than an unlocked TC does. So that helps the transmission when its not shifting.

The best would be to figure out when the TCM is shifting the transmission and let it unlock it and then gently lock it back up again as soon as its done.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So is the problem that you are locking the TC with a poor sequence, ie locking it too fast with the manual switch or is the problem that the TC is locked period ?

Its fairly easy to create a circuit that gently applies the voltage to the valve to lock it up in a manner that doesn't damage the TC. If that is, in fact, the problem.

The other issue is shifting. The TCM commands the TC to be unlocked during some shifts so cushion the clutches during engagement. When you lock the TC during the shift and the TCM can't unlock it, there is a lot more stress on the clutches during that initial lock.

However, a locked TC puts a lot less torque through the transmission than an unlocked TC does. So that helps the transmission when its not shifting.

The best would be to figure out when the TCM is shifting the transmission and let it unlock it and then gently lock it back up again as soon as its done.

leave it stock then. dont wire in a switch!!LOL

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Not on the 5R110. This transmission uses a Variable Force Solenoid (VFS) instead of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solenoid.

Where the PWM pulses, the VFS applies pressure proportional to the current sent to the solenoid.

The end result is that it does control the apply of the converter clutch to bring it on smoothly instead of slamming on.

That might work, it might burn out the driver in the PCM. I don't know which one.

When are you going to supply me with information that actually helps me make these damn things shift better? LOL all your technical stuff is just words... no help