6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

vcassens

Reaction score
For the hose I no a couple of people that got a brass barb and threaded it in to the radiator with some pipe dope and have not had any problems so far

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
No VGT actuation as of yet. Fixed veins for now, could very well be the cause of no boost. Nevertheless I need to tear the truck down and fix the oil leak issue.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I would say they are probably closed rather than open, open would make it a little leggy but not prevent making boost. Closed would however.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If you can't get the VGT to work then open all the time would be your best bet. You could even go as far as removing every other vane or all the vanes.

MorganY

Reaction score
You could try a mechanical way of actuation. Great job, stoked to see it running. Don't *** around with the radiator, replace it and be done.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
My buddy is saying to replace the Radiator as well. He is suggesting I drop the coin on a Ron Davis one. They are custom made to order and are about $900. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Or do I just put in the original ford unit?

As for the build, I am taking a break from the truck until Monday, when I will tear it down and fix the oil drain line. Hopefully Tuesday I will be able to have it all back together.

As far as the boost issue, it is not that I am not getting any boost. It is very slow to spool. On a hard acceleration at 35mph I only made 10psi. I am 98% certain that this is due to the veins being wide open on the VGT turbo. By having the veins wide open the smaller turbo is not spooling up at low RPMs, from my understanding, this is because when the veins are in the open position the exhaust gas is not focused on the turbine wheel therefore not spinning it and creating low end boost. However when I planted the pedal I did start to build boost because the large turbo finally started to spool.
I made a stop on my short lived maiden voyage, which was when I discovered the oil leak, I piped the hood and flipped the arm for the VGT control. I proceeded to start the truck where I noticed an audible difference. You heard the infamous turbo whistle. I revved the engine and the whistle ceased, the exhaust pressure blew the veins back to the open position. Bottom line at this point is that I will need to make a bracket temporarily to hold the veins at a midway point (half open/half closed), or set up a vacuum/boost actuated waste gate actuator to control the veins, at least until I hash out the electronic version.

05wh250

Reaction score
There are a couple options on radiators. Bulletproof diesel makes one and mishimoto makes one, and there both cheaper than that, unless you need something custom.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Vacuum might be your ticket temporarily. I doubt you will want to put a fixed lever on the VGT. Sounds like your making huge progress. Whats the status on getting the accuator controlled electronically? Im pretty interested in how thats going to work.

Well done sir

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
It is not a matter of voltage per say for the VGT. The 6.0 Computer puts out a voltage signal, but the 6.4 VGT actuator works from a CAN network. In all honesty I won't be spilling much more information about how I will be making it work, I have done way too much research and invested too much of my own time to "give" it away. When I have it all done I will offer something for sale for people who are interested in doing a similar project.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Yesterday I tore down the truck and found the o-ring on the VGT turbo was split, and no doubt was a contributor to the oil leak, but it wasn't the only one which I found out later...

I fixed the veins of the VGT closed and took the truck for a drive. HOLY CHIT, 10PSI at 25 MPH just maintaining speed. I pulled over to fold out my passenger side mirror and inspect to see if I was leaking oil, which I was.

In this short trip around the block, I did not have the truck running long enough to warm up the trans so it was hard to get a good feel what kind of power it was making, but I could tell it was instant low end power...

kdogg85

Reaction score
Hell yeah, I'd say your happy just to be on the road with it finally.

I have to ask, how's the sound?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.