6.4 compound setup non vgt

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
sho looks good Corb. !! :D
I keep seeing that orange trans, and i have to remind myself, that is your truck! lol! hopefully it makes it on my rig in the next few weeks.
Wonder how that would work in the ol F450? Might need a regear...
I think, that these are gonna work pretty good with the shorter gears.... i have 4.10s in the 250, so, i ll let you know how it goes.... however, it also has 35.5 inch tall tires... so, like 3.73 effective ratio....
jealous chris....Nice work guys, cant wait to see it in person
hey, your rig is bad ass! nothing to be jealous of....

HD F250

Reaction score
c6e4ddae-e9ab-0683.jpg

Looking good, I know you gotta be getting excited Chris! I am usually very patient, but waiting on this build is trying my patience. :fustrate:

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
As for wondering if non vgt turbos will work.... Sure they will. People have been putting non vgt compounds in dmaxes and cummins for years. There is no reason they shouldnt work, its a matter of having proper housing sizes, esp on the high pressure charger for spool up. And a good gate set up and tuning.

As for price... An S 480 off their site is 1650. I'm sure if you look around online some dealers might sell them cheaper. Bullseye turbos arent that expensive compared to garrett and precision ball bearing turbos. Why do you think the guys from mpd call their compound setup they put on that truck recently built "budget build"

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
As for wondering if non vgt turbos will work.... Sure they will. People have been putting non vgt compounds in dmaxes and cummins for years. There is no reason they shouldnt work, its a matter of having proper housing sizes, esp on the high pressure charger for spool up. And a good gate set up and tuning.

As for price... An S 480 off their site is 1650. I'm sure if you look around online some dealers might sell them cheaper. Bullseye turbos arent that expensive compared to garrett and precision ball bearing turbos. Why do you think the guys from mpd call their compound setup they put on that truck recently built "budget build"

I was wondering that same thing. So, I looked around for a bit. All the dodge and chevy guys have been running non vgt turbos.... for a long time. The ford factory compound setup, i guess needed a vgt to crank up off the line, and the guys out west in the altitude needed it to get off the line even worse.... But, I dont go out that way but once or twice a year, so this is a perfect upgrade for me.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The ford factory compound setup, i guess needed a vgt to crank up off the line, and the guys out west in the altitude needed it to get off the line even worse.... But, I dont go out that way but once or twice a year, so this is a perfect upgrade for me.

theres a lot more to it than just altitude.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
theres a lot more to it than just altitude.
like what? i m trying to figure this out as well. seeing as how ford is the only one making VGT turbo setups from the factory, and I havent found any NON for aftermarket vgt turbo setups for chevy and dodge.
Drivability and emissions being at the top of the list

Chevy and Dodge cant operate out west? Or dont have drivability out west? Not being a dick, but the other two of the big three, dont seem to have too many problems selling trucks out there...

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Both the Duramax and Cummins have similar turbos. Everyone calls them different things, but they all achieve the same thing. Duramax has had VGT's since the LLY and Cummins started in 2007.5 with the 6.7L.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
like what? i m trying to figure this out as well. seeing as how ford is the only one making VGT turbo setups from the factory, and I havent found any NON for aftermarket vgt turbo setups for chevy and dodge.

Chevy and Dodge cant operate out west? Or dont have drivability out west? Not being a dick, but the other two of the big three, dont seem to have too many problems selling trucks out there...

Chevy, Ford and Dodge all come factory with VGT turbo's...

I know of about a dozen VGT twin kits for the Chevy and Dodge trucks.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Both the Duramax and Cummins have similar turbos. Everyone calls them different things, but they all achieve the same thing. Duramax has had VGT's since the LLY and Cummins started in 2007.5 with the 6.7L.
hmmm, I see. Yeah, they dont advertise them as VGTs... or at least not that I have found... learn something new every day.
Chevy, Ford and Dodge all come factory with VGT turbo's...

I know of about a dozen VGT twin kits for the Chevy and Dodge trucks.

Again, same thing. I dont hang around chevy or dodge diesel forums, or have a great deal of knowledge on them, but, I havent seen too many references to them being VGTs.... but, like I said, learn something new evey day...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
So, again, why arent NON VGT turbos popular, or drivable out west?

Who said they aren't? VGT turbo's in compound setups are just badass on the street. Quick spool up without top end power loss.

Stop listening to Farlow and his east coast > west coast theories. You can tell him I said that LOL

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Who said they aren't? VGT turbo's in compound setups are just badass on the street. Quick spool up without top end power loss.

Stop listening to Farlow and his east coast > west coast theories. You can tell him I said that LOL
LOL right on! But, if the NON vgt rigs are making power like they are, but dont seem to have to spoolup of the VGT rigs, what is the answer? can it be adjusted with tuning?

as a side, I was in Nicks single 475 with 110s and dual fuelers, and it didnt have much slower spoolup than my tow power X rig did.... it smoked a LOT more, but, seemed completely docile from in the cab...

so, can a rig like that be adjusted to maintain the spoolup, and power, and clear some smoke up?
I believe you are right, sir.

It's not that they aren't, VGT's just spool better. There are plenty of guys out west running non VGT turbo's. Both singles and compound setups.

Yeah, but I keep seeing the comparison, that east coast/NON VGT, west coast/VGT is what I am trying to understand...

Latest posts

Members online