6.4 compound setup non vgt

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So, again, why arent NON VGT turbos popular, or drivable out west?

not sure why the west keeps being spoken of.. because im at about 200 feet, but on a 6.0 with the same heads, a single non vgt above 66mm is a pile unless the ex housing is tight , then raising backpressure. this isnt an east vs west thing, but just the nature of these retarded heads. dmax's have to go with the cheetah vvt to keep stock like spoolup, many factors chris, but it just takes time. craig is figuring lots of stuff out for us, but you take a pretty laggy single, then add a bigger atmosphere, it gets more laggy.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Yeah, but I keep seeing the comparison, that east coast/NON VGT, west coast/VGT is what I am trying to understand...

I'm on the east coast and I like my VGT setup for daily driving. I'm not saying that I am against non VGT setups, but I like instant spool up. If I ever built a race truck, it would have non VGT turbos. My daily driver will always have a VGT setup.

I don't think it's a east coast vs. west coast deal. I'm pretty sure that most of the single and compound setups that come out of Wide Open Performance are non VGT setups. Tadd just likes the VGT setup. They spool better and allow for better driving manners at high altitude. If you were at 5,000 feet, you would too. Those of us closer to sea level that like VGT's are spoiled by the amazing spool up we have. I personally don't want to go backwards on my daily driver.

I hope that your setup proves that a non VGT compound setup can spool great and make big power. I think it will. It will probably convince even more people that non VGT setups can work and spool great. It will take a good altitude test for those that love VGT's to ever consider going to a setup like that though.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Vgt trucks coming from the factory makes sense. Stock fueling/tuning with compounds works well for what the engineers designed these trucks for.... Towing/ working. Not to mention emissions reasons. People keep wondering if we can spool a big single or compound set up but people have been doing it for years with less power, less technology, less fuel or less efficient fueling. I think its been proven that our trucks can spool big set ups without an issue. This will be a sweet truck man. I love seing custom set ups on these things

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
not sure why the west keeps being spoken of.. because im at about 200 feet, but on a 6.0 with the same heads, a single non vgt above 66mm is a pile unless the ex housing is tight , then raising backpressure. this isnt an east vs west thing, but just the nature of these retarded heads. dmax's have to go with the cheetah vvt to keep stock like spoolup, many factors chris, but it just takes time. craig is figuring lots of stuff out for us, but you take a pretty laggy single, then add a bigger atmosphere, it gets more laggy.

we have to get something documented. I love that Mike up at Haller's is doing so. if you look at any Summit Racing catalog, you will find 50 different companies making heads, and 30 or so different companies making fuel pumps, and 40 or so making exhausts..... you get my point.... and there are so many people using so many different combination of these parts, that you can pretty much know what to expect when buying and installing any one or combination of them....

and it is irritating to a degree, that diesels have so much potential, even in stock form, and the options for advancement are so limited.... and that documented findings are in such short supply.... That is another reason that I love what Aaron did with the "stock, batmowheel upgrade, and tow power atmo" comparison, and maybe another comparison, that may be heading our way soon....

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I'm on the east coast and I like my VGT setup for daily driving. I'm not saying that I am against non VGT setups, but I like instant spool up. If I ever built a race truck, it would have non VGT turbos. My daily driver will always have a VGT setup.

I don't think it's a east coast vs. west coast deal. I'm pretty sure that most of the single and compound setups that come out of Wide Open Performance are non VGT setups. Tadd just likes the VGT setup. They spool better and allow for better driving manners at high altitude. If you were at 5,000 feet, you would too. Those of us closer to sea level that like VGT's are spoiled by the amazing spool up we have. I personally don't want to go backwards on my daily driver.

I hope that your setup proves that a non VGT compound setup can spool great and make big power. I think it will. It will probably convince even more people that non VGT setups can work and spool great. It will take a good altitude test for those that love VGT's to ever consider going to a setup like that though.
Yeah, I just drove my 450 up to 9,400 feet.... holy crap, what a difference. i left it on Xstreet, as was my intention to leave it there for the entire drive, to do my own fuel economy test. and I was amazed by what the altitude did... crushed performance....

and we think my rig is gonna make some good power, and spool pretty well at the same time. that is another reason why we kept them fairly small, instead of doing anything in the 80mm range. and instead of a 66 for a HP, we stayed with a 62mm. we will see next month though!

So, from something that i read a few months ago, and now from this conversation, it seems that a NON VGT rigs pull harder up top than a VGT rig does? But a VGT rig has quicker spoolup, and better driving manners than a NON VGT rig does? And Tadd is doing what he can to balance those? or get as much of "the best of both worlds" as possible.

Vgt trucks coming from the factory makes sense. Stock fueling/tuning with compounds works well for what the engineers designed these trucks for.... Towing/ working. Not to mention emissions reasons. People keep wondering if we can spool a big single or compound set up but people have been doing it for years with less power, less technology, less fuel or less efficient fueling. I think its been proven that our trucks can spool big set ups without an issue. This will be a sweet truck man. I love seing custom set ups on these things

more options! more options! more options! LOL

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
A 62 should spool amazing. Even with stock fuel. And by the time you gate around it ( if you do) you'll have plenty of drive to push a 75. I plan on doing a 64mm garrett and 82 or 83 mm bullseye. Possibly with a race cover or batmowheel haven't looked to far into it yet. But I plan to try it on a max of just a lift pump setup/ fuel bowl delete and ported rails. I might even try it on stock fuel who knows.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with non vgt turbos at all, they do work, they have worked forever on dodges and duramax's for years, no taking away from that at all.

The one advantage to a vgt is that you can have a very tight housing for spool up, and then a loose housing once things start to get moving, so back pressure is diverted inside the turbine housing basically into the hot pipe and then into the big turbo, essentially acting as an external wastegate but electronically controlled by the computer. Im actually hoping to prove on my truck that the vgt turbine isn't the restriction causing high back pressure, but the atmospheric turbo is actually the limiting factor to back pressure like charles found on his truck. Since my truck has such a large turbine that i shouldnt have issues, this should be a good test. I plan on checking boost and back pressure between stages just to see what is going on exactly so i can tune the gate (if needed) properly. My last turbo set up didnt require a gate at all, and it runs the same turbine that max powers have making the same amount of boost, just for a reference. I was actually able to see the vgt duty cycle going up trying to compensate for the "low" back pressure the computer was seeing vs desired.

A non vgt set up on dodges and duramaxs seams to work well with just a small internal gate in the exhaust housing, several set ups come to mine with 62/80 combos, or 66/88 combos with a small 30mm (ish) internal wastegate, with no external gate. I think to a degree its pretty important to have at least an internal gate in a compound set up to help balance everything. Now of course perfect turbo sizing will go a long way but generally speaking a good spooling turbo wont have the right flow thru the turbine without some sort of wastegate, especially in a compound set up since the mass air flow of the engine is so greatly affected by the atmospheric turbo anyway.

Turbine efficiency, housing sizing and efficiency, ect go along way in this but alot of the same rules will still provide to be true.

So basically think of non vgt turbo with an internal gate is a sort of crude vgt, because thats pretty much what it is, the advantage tho is less moving parts that can fail, and more tuning ability because the gate can be controlled by the end user better than something that needs to be controlled by the tuner.

Dont want to de-rail aarons thread anymore so i think ill move alot of these posts to its own thread so we can continue to talk about this...

and there is no such thing as west coast air LOL

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
A 62 should spool amazing. Even with stock fuel. And by the time you gate around it ( if you do) you'll have plenty of drive to push a 75. I plan on doing a 64mm garrett and 82 or 83 mm bullseye. Possibly with a race cover or batmowheel haven't looked to far into it yet. But I plan to try it on a max of just a lift pump setup/ fuel bowl delete and ported rails. I might even try it on stock fuel who knows.

yeah, we are looking to keep fuel above stock, but not ridiculous.... either 85s or 110s. I am voting for 85s. any input guys? suggestions?

11STROKER

Reaction score
:postwhore:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
85s would be nice I bet. 110s might be a little smokey until that 75 is lit. I dont think the 62 could clean that up

Same thing that i was thinking... but, I see that the H&S tuners allow for an adjustment of LOW BOOST FUELING, so maybe it wont be so bad. Only thing is, I want to use SCT with Eric's tuning. As I have gotten used to it on the 250 before, and the 450 as of late. So, can SCT be tuned to adjust for that as well?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
and are you still thinking duel fuelers? Or do you think a single pump will suffice?

LOL

110s and a industrial pump or elite bag of parts pump should be plenty, but i sure like the idea of 2 stock pumps for reliability.

erik clausens truck drives smoke free with 110s, shouldnt be an issue with this set up, turbo sizing is very similar.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
110s and a industrial pump or elite bag of parts pump should be plenty, but i sure like the idea of 2 stock pumps for reliability.

erik clausens truck drives smoke free with 110s, shouldnt be an issue with this set up, turbo sizing is very similar.

Cool, that is reassuring. Thanks man. Aaron's crew cab has Tow Powers, 110s, and a single. Maintains rail pressure, and runs nearly smoke free as well. I was more worried about low speed/boost being a smoke screen.

Are you gonna make it to Aaron's for DYNO DAY?

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
85s would be nice I bet. 110s might be a little smokey until that 75 is lit. I dont think the 62 could clean that up

to me under part throttle the 62 should clean up the nozzles just fine, and it may puff smoke untill the 75 is lit, but i dont think its that big of a deal.

To me if a truck smokes at full throttle so be it, most do thats why you take it to the track to run full throttle, if part throttle is clean, thats what really matters, which is why i decided to downsize the high pressure so small on my truck even tho the atmo is pretty big.

That 75 with the small housing should spool fast too

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Cool, that is reassuring. Thanks man. Are you gonna make it to Aaron's for DYNO DAY?

im undecided at this point, its a long drive and would require some decent amount of time off work, at this point i really dont know, i would love to go and help hallers with the dyno, but work might not allow me right now... ill keep you posted tho.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Corbin, if you really put this set-up together and don't get it live-tuned I'll be so disappointed!! LOL

The 110's should be able to be controlled wonderfully with a tune, especially if you get it tailored to the truck (part throttle as well as WOT).

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Corbin, if you really put this set-up together and don't get it live-tuned I'll be so disappointed!! LOL

The 110's should be able to be controlled wonderfully with a tune, especially if you get it tailored to the truck (part throttle as well as WOT).

i agree

Latest posts

Members online