62FMW/CED T4/stock injectors Review

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
mine is very quiet until you get to that 2800rpm banshee farting in a trash can zone with a non vgt and axle dump. I'll post a vid later of a 1/4 mile run. The sounds it makes are orgasmic.

Imo the noise of a non vgt is easier to live with compared to a vgt, non vgt is quieter on the highway and putting around town (times you would be having a conversation) my 03 turbo was just annoying taking off slowly from a light and making slight acceleration.

Non vgt - Quiet in town and highway, pretty loud with aggresive accel, stupid loud wide open

Mine is way louder than my vgt was on the highway.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I'm not exaggerating when I say that a straight pipe vgt is more quiet than a muffler on a non vgt.

Mine wasn't. I tried a muffler when I ran a 64mm non vgt with a stack...and my straight piped vgt was louder. However...when I ran the 64mm straight piped with the stack....it was waaay louder than the vgt straight piped. My truck doesn't sound like any of the other 6L's in my area....it never has. My truck just seems to have a sound all its own.

strokin6L

Reaction score
One thing I also noticed with my truck... Is that the single 6" stack was a lot louder than the two 5" stacks I use to run

Mdub707

Reaction score
Great review! I'd love to see some videos. Would you say the truck is louder than when it ha the stock vgt on it?

Mucho. The stock VGT was relatively quiet unless you were really on the go pedal, this is pretty much loud ALL the time. The only time it really quiets down to normal noise is on the highway when the converter locks and it shifts to OD. Then it's pretty quiet actually.

Great write up. Which would you say is *more fun* setup to drive. I've been back and forth whether to keep my industrial hybrid or go non vgt when I do injectors.

This is way more fun. This is a blast and just made the truck so much more enjoyable for back road cruising. I don't get any of the "light switch" effect that I used to get with certain tunes, and it pulls awesome when you really roll into it. I dig it.

However the 64mm non vgt I use to run whistled really nice but had a really loud mean bark also. I kinda miss that turbo.

Mine doesn't really whistle much at all. Yours almost sounds like exhaust whistle though. Mine has some intake whistle, but it can only be heard from 5-10psi and with the windows up and music off. It's pretty quiet. I bet a more open air filter setup would wake the whistle up a little bit, but I'm in no rush just for the noise. I have an AFE stage 1 intake right now, basically a stock style metal housing with an AFE dry filter. I'm sure it dampens some noise.

Mine was louder all the time but when it started to bark the difference was immense.

These basically sound like a 7.3, but are able to actually turn some higher RPM's and really scream. It's like an aggravated 7.3.

I'll see if I can get my dads go-pro this coming weekend and do some vids.

Strokin89

Reaction score
Man I'd love to throw a non vgt on my truck just don't wanna waste all that money if I don't like the spool up. I imagine with a stick it'd be a bit more laggy

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The beauty of going with a setup like this is you can swap all sorts of different exhaust housings and parts around, they're inexpensive and plentiful. They make an S360 as well. I bet it would be a fun truck with a stick still. I know my write up makes it seem like spool up sucked, but honestly it was more of a driving habit change than anything. I was disappointed at first, but it was mostly because I was still driving it like I drove my stock VGT setup. Once you get used to it, it's not bad at all, spools pretty damn quick considering I'm on stock fuel.

little luke

Reaction score
You plan on running a tune with early lock up? All I use is my extreme X tune for DD and most towing. Only thing that scares me is the spool up. At local dirt drags around here pretty much you have 3 seconds when both truck are lined up. Several trucks will hold the brake and try and spool while rolling up to the line. I'd hate to lose that advantage of rolling up, goose it and launch at 10-15psi

Mdub707

Reaction score
You could spool this in that amount of time without any issue. It's not as bad as I'm apparently making it LOL. I will try a brake-boost and video it for you guys. I'm avoiding early lock up tunes. I destroyed a torque converter using them before and wiped out the entire transmission. Ford then put in a reman which was a complete pile of dog shat from day one. It finally gave up the ghost and I got this one 100% rebuilt about 20k miles ago and it works great. Trying to keep it that way. I likely wont use an early lock up tune unless I actually manage to make it to the drag strip anytime soon or on the dyno. For street driving I'm on X-street only now. I refuse to use those lock ups for DD anymore.

Strokin89

Reaction score
Just went back to a August 2013 issue of diesel power where there's a 630hp 6.0 with a zf6 running a 63mm s300 so I guess there actually are people running non vgt with a stick lol
duzy6eqe.jpg

I believe this may be a member on here's truck

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

strokin6L

Reaction score
That's Jason Bannon's truck...I forget his screen name. A non vgt if sized right for your truck....can actually spool well. Its all in the tuning. The key is getting the shift points and fueling perfect. Raising the shift points helps a lot to keep the rpms and boost up so that the truck doesn't fall on its face and get laggy.

swinky

Reaction score
That's Jason Bannon's truck...I forget his screen name. A non vgt if sized right for your truck....can actually spool well. Its all in the tuning. The key is getting the shift points and fueling perfect. Raising the shift points helps a lot to keep the rpms and boost up so that the truck doesn't fall on its face and get laggy.
He's talking a manual trans. Any 600hp single turbo 6.0 will be laggy with a manual. Vgt or not. I've yet to be impressed with the spoolup of a big Vgt 6.0

Strokin89

Reaction score
How much do divided up pipes help spool? Sorry for getting off topic just trying to learn some more about the non vgt turbo's if spool up wouldn't be to bad wouldn't mind picking one up for my truck. Absolutely love the sound too.

strokin6L

Reaction score
He's talking a manual trans. Any 600hp single turbo 6.0 will be laggy with a manual. Vgt or not. I've yet to be impressed with the spoolup of a big Vgt 6.0

My KC 68 builds 3-4 psi around 1400-1500rpms....not bad i hink with a worn out converter. Worst thing about a manual is when boost drops when shifting

Mdub707

Reaction score
How much do divided up pipes help spool? Sorry for getting off topic just trying to learn some more about the non vgt turbo's if spool up wouldn't be to bad wouldn't mind picking one up for my truck. Absolutely love the sound too.

Supposed to help a ton, which is why I went that route, with the smallest divided housing available. I have nothing to directly compare it to, but I asked a few guys who went from stock up-pipe with T3-T4 adapters on there and then went to divided pipes and said the difference was huge. This was mostly on larger 66mm chargers though.

Latest posts

Members online