7.3 won't start

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Up here in Michigan it's getting cold, went to start my truck Tuesday before work and I have 160cc injectors and 4 inch straight pipe and when cranking can see the smoke come out of it when it starts, well cycled the glow plugs 4 times just to make sure they were hot and she won't fire up. Newer to working on diesels and not sure where to start, replaced glow plug relay because old one is cracked. Any advice would help. Wanted to go here before dishing money at the truck.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Actually think the cab is a 1995 but motor is a 1996 because it has a obd 2 port and I checked for codes and it said nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Has brand new glow plugs and was plugged in all night last night and could feel the heat on the block

79jasper

Reaction score
And still won't start?
Your post wasn't clear. You said you see smoke when it starts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
By that I mean when it's got fuel it smokes. Now it's not smoking so I'm suspecting a fuel issue just not sure where to start

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Haven't checked that yet. I was planning on checking that first thing tomorrow. I'm new to working on diesels, would you be able to hear the fuel pumps turn on like a gas vehicle?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Your 95 will have a mechanical fuel pump mounted in the valley, driven off of a camshaft lobe, unless someone has converted it to e fuel, so no, you will not hear it run, and it will not pump unless the engine is turning over. There is a schrader valve on the factory fuel filter housing to check pressure. Are your batteries weak, turning the truck over slow?

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Truck is turning over healthy, I've had her on the charger all night, I'll take the fuel bowl off and see if there is any fuel getting into it, if there isn't fuel getting there would that be the fuel pump? And I don't think it's gelled because it's been mid 30s during the night so I don't think it's to cold for it to gel.

bluedge8

Reaction score
you are not gelled. you'll need to check fuel filter. also check every fuse in the fuse block to make sure none are blown.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I had checked all the fuses with a fuse tester inside of the truck, all the ones in the engine bay are good too. That was one my first places I checked

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Even if the fuel filter is new in it which I'm not sure if it is or not should I pick up a new one regardless?

m j

Reaction score
weak starter can cause a no start. if it draws the battery down below the IDM threshold while cranking.
both my 7.3s have had that issue, one of them just a couple weeks ago.

IMO fuel side will not be the issue, glowplug system is the usual issue or HPO.

what did you scan for codes with? I dont recall any off the shelf scanner actually functioning with the 7.3.
I use my android and cargaugepro App for codes and monitor the engine live with TorqueProApp

there is a learning curve with diesel, keep your foot off the pedal, do not do long cranks for a cold start as all you do is cool the glowplugs off and kill the battery.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
The truck has new glow plugs, and the relay I replaced yesterday. I can smell diesel when I crank it but it's just not burning it I'm just kinda stumped on what to look for

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Are you running some type of Chip? Maybe it wiggled loose? I had a 96 that wouldn't start one day and it ended up being a fried IPR circuit in the PCM. I sent to swamps where they tested and repaired. If you do get your PCM tested, make sure you specify for them to test the IPR circuit too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online