A little update on my truck...

jdgleason

Reaction score
Well it's 3:30 am here and I'm headed home from the shop. Once again, Nathannial gave me a hand and I can't thank him enough for it! Gate is in and plumbed. I'll report more tomorrow. For now I have an hr drive home. Lol

powerstroked08

Reaction score
My gate with 1.2 bar springs without air makes about 65-70 psi of back pressure. Seams like 21 would be much higher.

You might be right. I have no real experiance with wastegate tuning so im going to probably bug JD to death about what he does with his gate being i have the same one! But like i said this is the only info i have been given so far so i was going to do like Aaron said, being he has a lot of experience with these sort of things. But Mike has a good way of setting one up as well by the sounds so i might try that too. As long as i can get it to keep my pressure at 60# i'll be happy.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Well, I guess I should probably update this thread since I've been pretty quiet about my truck for a while.

After I got the wastegate plumbed in, my truck was still inconsistent on the dyno... So I couldn't really validate any tests. After going through a few things, I assumed that my trans was the culprit, so I laid low until I could get a built transmission in it (Huge thanks to Steve for that).

After I got the transmission in, the inconsistency between runs seemed to go away, but the truck still wasn't making the numbers I had expected, and I got pretty frustrated with it. Nathannial, Wayne, Mike, Dustin, Tadd and Steve gave me a bunch of help and advice along the way, and kept me motivated! Thanks guys.

Now, I am doing some testing with the 76 atmosphere for Tadd and I love it. The 76 spools like the 72 does - basically like stock. Tadd spent a ton of time with me last weekend datalogging and riding around with me, just to clear any doubts I had.

So, long story short I took the truck to the track last night and it made me proud. I went 12.46 @ 109 at ~ 8,100lbs. This was at bandimere with ambient temps at 85*. There is more in it if I could drive, but I ran out of time last night, so that's all the faster I went. My previous best was 12.8x @ 104 and some change I believe (gotta dig up the old slips). All in all, I am super pleased with the set up. There will be a couple changes made pretty soon that I am very excited for and I hope that they put me closer to the 11's on fuel at bandimere.

Here is my slip from last night
000-26F7E7C91241-7381-000003CFA76763F1_zps000c8bca.jpg

nickg3130

Reaction score
Awesome. Is there any fuel left over that you can tell? I know it's at altitude but I wonder if more fuel could get you even closer to the 11's. I'm looking into this setup now. You convinced me again LOL.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Awesome. Is there any fuel left over that you can tell? I know it's at altitude but I wonder if more fuel could get you even closer to the 11's. I'm looking into this setup now. You convinced me again LOL.

Ya Nick, there is fuel on the table. Honestly, the tune that I'm running from Gearhead is pretty conservative as well. I'll get a video uploaded (In HD for all you who are unimpressed with my camera skills lol).

I think if I had a new high pressure turbo, it would be almost totally clean again which I would be super happy about. Don't get me wrong, it runs basically smokeless by a lot of people's standards, but I love a clean running truck.

It's a blast to drive man. Justin was following me yesterday and I rolled into it getting on the interstate around 40 and he said it left black marks, shifted, and left more black marks lol.

My goal for this truck is to run 11s on fuel at bandimere.

jdgleason

Reaction score
What trans did you end up doing JD?

For now, Steve was gracious enough to let me borrow his transmission for his shorty truck :D

But, the plan was for me to run Steve's trans until Nathannial and I can build mine. I'm not sure what stage mine will be.... 4? Tadd could verify that as I'm not sure what clutches he has in mind for me. Other than that, Steve hooked me up with a DPC converter and I have all the billet goodies at the shop ready and waiting.

B585Ford

Reaction score
For now, Steve was gracious enough to let me borrow his transmission for his shorty truck :D

But, the plan was for me to run Steve's trans until Nathannial and I can build mine. I'm not sure what stage mine will be.... 4? Tadd could verify that as I'm not sure what clutches he has in mind for me. Other than that, Steve hooked me up with a DPC converter and I have all the billet goodies at the shop ready and waiting.

Which 76 are you running?

Wayne

Reaction score
I sure enjoyed testing that turbo. As soon as the first batch of production ones come back in, another is going on, then a z-max jr., then back fuel off to 85's, and call the motor work done. When I finish all that stuff, I'm gonna have to race you. :evil: should be a good race at that point if you leave your setup alone, considering my extra weight, and rotating mass.

Latest posts

Members online