Annnnd BOOM goes the dynomite

V-Ref

Reaction score
I beg to differ, it has a LOT to do with tuning. That's why some live, and some don't.

You're questioning tuning based on a single data point of 30 mph....is that correct? If so...Clairvoiant isn't the word....square me away on what your "seeing"? If you'd rather PM...send it.

The reason I ask isn't to be argumentative. It's help others understand how you can determine it's a tuning problem from a forged rod motor blowing at 30 mph.

The bit I understand about tensile strength/fatigue/yield/ultimate...is that it doesn't always fail when it's "supposed to".

If you're point is that a tuner approach to ICP/PW/SOI can have a large effect on cylinder pressure....I'm in agreement with you.

It would seem that folks like Swamps having an engine dyno, or tuners that have access to cylinder pressure transducers would/have probably gained insights that SOTP/dyno tuners don't have ref tuning for engine durability. Would agree with that too?

I just don't see how given a single 30 mph data point...a tuning conclusion could be made.

OP-Whose rods for the next motor? Our are you thinking conversion/swap? Didn't mean to derail your thread.

OSCS

Reaction score
You're questioning tuning based on a single data point of 30 mph....is that correct? If so...Clairvoiant isn't the word....square me away on what your "seeing"? If you'd rather PM...send it.

The reason I ask isn't to be argumentative. It's help others understand how you can determine it's a tuning problem from a forged rod motor blowing at 30 mph.

The bit I understand about tensile strength/fatigue/yield/ultimate...is that it doesn't always fail when it's "supposed to".

If you're point is that a tuner approach to ICP/PW/SOI can have a large effect on cylinder pressure....I'm in agreement with you.

It would seem that folks like Swamps having an engine dyno, or tuners that have access to cylinder pressure transducers would/have probably gained insights that SOTP/dyno tuners don't have ref tuning for engine durability. Would agree with that too?

I just don't see how given a single 30 mph data point...a tuning conclusion could be made.

OP-Whose rods for the next motor? Our are you thinking conversion/swap? Didn't mean to derail your thread.

No worries I expect plenty of side discussion. Yes the motor has forged rods and to be honest i have no idea whos rods im going to go with or if i even am going to try and build another motor.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No worries I expect plenty of side discussion. Yes the motor has forged rods and to be honest i have no idea whos rods im going to go with or if i even am going to try and build another motor.

toss a fr motor in, have it tuned at safe parameters, ignore your peak hp#, and watch it live.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Sucks seeing another 1 of these threads. I'm glad I picked up a 12v the other day to start getting ready for my truck. Good luck on the rebuild, I may have a motor for sale shortly

Big Bore

Reaction score

That pretty much sums it up, other than there are tuners who are able to tune safely without access to cylinder pressure and dyno equipment.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Just saying, tuning a truck to "live" and tuning a truck to achieve max power are two different things.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Just saying, tuning a truck to "live" and tuning a truck to achieve max power are two different things.

For sure! But w/o billet rods the latter is reckless, especially on a daily driver. It's too easy to.draw pw waaaaaay off the reservation and have some hot, high cylinder pressured juju going on. Especially with little nozzles, like the 100%. It's just my opinion but based on how my 100% nozzles acted compared to the 80% nozzles on the exact same.set of injectors. I'd rather have a 80% or 200%. Or have that 100% nozzle limited to about 400hp. Gets too hot, too smoky, and generally feels on the ragged edge above that with those nozzles.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Can turbo drive pressure have anything to do with loosing a rod? I had one of the big boys in this business telling me (face to face no less) he wouldn't recommend certain turbos because of their drive pressure ratio and the harmful effects it can have on the motor and I think that windowing the block was one of those possibilities. Any comments?

OSCS

Reaction score
Can turbo drive pressure have anything to do with loosing a rod? I had one of the big boys in this business telling me (face to face no less) he wouldn't recommend certain turbos because of their drive pressure ratio and the harmful effects it can have on the motor and I think that windowing the block was one of those possibilities. Any comments?

sure can.. but not in my case i had a wastegate which relieves DP before it becomes an issue.

TARM

Reaction score
Here is my opinion:

There is tuning a truck for max power with regard paid to CP and CP curves and then there is tuning max power or not with no or little regard to it. There are those that do, those that do not and those that think they are but are not. Then there are those that do but the line is not where they think it is. Then finally there is the variation in the actual hard parts that are in the engine which in the end makes all of this above certain power levels a crap shoot. The difference in it all is how much you are putting the odds in which favor: KABoom or Living

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score
Here is my opinion:

There is tuning a truck for max power with regard paid to CP and CP curves and then there is tuning max power or not with no or little regard to it. There are those that do, those that do not and those that think they are but are not. Then there are those that do but the line is not where they think it is. Then finally there is the variation in the actual hard parts that are in the engine which in the end makes all of this above certain power levels a crap shoot. The difference in it all is how much you are putting the odds in which favor: KABoom or Living

well all i can say is when i get a rebuild done i will be taking a different approach on tunning. Not so concerned with hp numbers now that shes sitting in the street bled out with a hole in her :lookaround:

CSIPSD

Reaction score

sure can.. but not in my case i had a wastegate which relieves DP before it becomes an issue.

No...

2000-2700psi cylinder pressures are not effected by 70-80psi of drive pressure... Just not going to make a differance...

Tuning, EGT's, Max HP, drivablity sure... but blow a motor because of high drive pressure??? nope.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.