Another T4 thread

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
From what I have read on the d66, any one of these turbos is going to be night and day difference on spoolup.

Yeah, it pulls good in the middle now with the billet 38t ww but i think a billet wheel on a factory tp-38 would have much better low end especially with my 3.55 gears.

Swaan

Reaction score
Talk to those guys at southeast power systems as im pertty sure there housing is diffrent. Both volutes are gated on theres not just one. Also the fitment is better.
Only 1/2 inch longer discharge side over a non gated housing

That part number you have is for the old housing bw has had for a while . .

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I called in and have an email into them. The guy needed to be spoken with is at a trade show, so it will be next week they say.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Those guys definitely have some cool stuff on their FB page.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Nice, i will look forward to hearing what they have and how much it may be.. haha. Thanks guys for the help. :rockon:

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Yea that housing on fb looks really nice. I talked to dap today and the guy i spoke with thinks he heard of a gated .91. He is going to look into it and get back with me.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Southeast power replied to my email.

This is housing 13801009034, and we have 3pcs on hand, at $428.09. This are 0.83A/R, for the 80/74mm wheel, and they utilize a wastegate actuator set at 34.5psi. The actuator canister design is such that other canisters can be refitted if the pressure rating needs to vary, but that canister itself is not adjustable.

They have the same fitment design as the standard, non-wastegated housings, but the outlet is about one inch ‘longer’ than the non-wastegated housings, to account for the valve structure.

Same housing as you've found.

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
I talked with Mike at SE and he helped me a lot. It came down to wether i want the 74 or 68 turbine to match up with my 363. Mike there thinks that the 68 will respond better and still flow enough with proper wastegate settings.
That being said i only want 475-500 hp
How do yall feel about the 68 vs 74 turbine with the gated .83 housing?

Swaan

Reaction score
I think the 74 turbine that the sxe comes with is what i would do.
It takes a bigger turbine to power a compresor at high boost levels.
When i had my s366 it actually made more peak boost ovrr my 364.5 with same fuel. I contribute that mostly because of the bigger wheel in the turbine. 74 over the 68.
I think with the .83 housing combined with the 63 compresor your going to be more then happy with spool up.
Dont forget, the new style 74 tubine is not the same as the old style, it responds a lot faster.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Rock on.

I don't speak to belittle but rather say that other than extreme instances my 38r does just what people are claiming only bw sxe series turbos will do.

Charlie, one of the innovators of the 7.3 would laugh maniacally at this whole notion. Just because he would also say if you cant get a 38r to move air you have some issues somewhere. Mine was kind of turdy at times when i was trying to use it with stock injectors and tuning. Theres not enough fuel to lug it and pull it up on boost. With 175/80s it was rather lackluster and got hot and smoky until the fuel was pulled waaay back to the point it was clean.

With 250/200s and all the goodies you should have to run them, it works very well. Im gonna say many issues are tuning related.

I don't know where this tangent ended up as I stopped reading the thread this morning around page 30, but I can corroborate everything you, vref and Tarm said here. Its tuning, period. I live at 9000ft and tow over 11,000ft with a 38r. My truck was a smoky hot doggy mess that I wanted to drive off a cliff before Curtis tuned it. Now I can hold OD empty at 55mph on a 6% grade at 10,000ft elevation with 3:73/33's and hardly any smoke and towing heavy is no problem. Curtis towed all over the mtns with 250/200's and a 38r on a lifted truck with I think 37's and 3:73's and ran cool and fast and made over 500hp at +/- 5500ft elev...on PMR's AND A STOCK HPOP. Once you get above 8000ft, towing and pulling grades period is a completely different world than even a mile high. If you're smoking at sea level, ditch your tuner. There are less than a handful of tuners that really get it.

That being the case, if those alternative turbos are clearing up poor tuning, I would be interested to see how they do with correct tuning, they definitely seem like a step up from a 38r.

Latest posts

Members online