Brute66 opinions

Reaction score
Oh, and I know you don't wanna here it but, I wish I never wasted time and money on a modded stock style turbo, hands down go T4 (or T4i for the hypermax lovers), and if you can't afford it, save up... Just my .02

mandkole

Reaction score
I'm running a Brute66 right now and I like it OK. I get a little puff of light smoke when I take off, but other than that, it cleans up my 250/100's pretty good.

I only have a few thousand miles on it, but I have no EGT issues in the economy, tow or DD tunes. Hot street and hot are smokey (hot tune definitely the smokiest) and EGT's hit 1,600* pretty quick, but those are race tunes and only hit high temps at WOT. I wish I had gone with the 1.15 housing, though.
That will be corrected in the future.

I would think a lot of the lag and temp issues could be taken care of with tuning. My truck was live tuned at Dynoproven and I'm very happy with how it's running.

oohh.. I forgot about yours. good to hear its still working for ya.

JD3020

Reaction score
I ran a D66 with 250/200%'s, and never changed tuning from my stock turbo. I didn't notice much improvement over the stock turbo. I think i paid $700, ran it through the winter when i was towing daily, and then sold it for $800. Had a stock turbo back on it for over a year now and don't miss the D66 one bit.

Carolina444

Reaction score
just go to a T4 kit... :naughty:

You don't hear much about the Brute- just the old D66. If I was planning a change, Ive liked reports that guys have given on the BASB. Everyone reports strong responsiveness for towing .

I've started some research on the bell turbos and guys seem to like them a lot

Carolina444

Reaction score
I'm running a Brute66 right now and I like it OK. I get a little puff of light smoke when I take off, but other than that, it cleans up my 250/100's pretty good.

I only have a few thousand miles on it, but I have no EGT issues in the economy, tow or DD tunes. Hot street and hot are smokey (hot tune definitely the smokiest) and EGT's hit 1,600* pretty quick, but those are race tunes and only hit high temps at WOT. I wish I had gone with the 1.15 housing, though.
That will be corrected in the future.

I would think a lot of the lag and temp issues could be taken care of with tuning. My truck was live tuned at Dynoproven and I'm very happy with how it's running.

I've been really happy with the customer service at dyno proven and they are my local shop. They seem confident that they can accomplish what I want with the brute.. I'm just not getting any proof out of the forums. Looking into these bell turbo setups also

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I ran a D66 with 250/200%'s, and never changed tuning from my stock turbo. I didn't notice much improvement over the stock turbo. I think i paid $700, ran it through the winter when i was towing daily, and then sold it for $800. Had a stock turbo back on it for over a year now and don't miss the D66 one bit.

sooo getting rid of my d66 when i have the time. back to stock for me. to the op, quite honestly i wouldn't waste the money. I've heard alot of good things about the qssb and that will be my next turbo. I'm not running super huge injectors, but i find my setup smokey hot and hard to light. just my opinion!

JD3020

Reaction score
^I'm going to a S468, but i've been reading a ton of good on the Pius chargers.

Honestly i don't see how shops can charge $1400 for nothing more than a rebuilt stock turbo with a machined compressor housing and 38r wheel. And this is straight from dynoproven's website. I'd love to see track times to back it up. "Proven up to 600hp with proper supporting mods and custom tunes"

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I had both, a D66 and a Brute 66. They are both the same. The D66 oil seal went and replaced it with a Brute 66 with a billet wheel.

The side of my trailer would turn black when I towed with D66/Brute 66. The soot made it inside of the trailer.

I tried Gearhead, DP Tuner, DynoProven tunes with Brute 66. All the tunes were smokey and spool up was so slow. Went with a BASB/T4 and it was night and day difference.

Billy T.
[email protected]

DocBar

Reaction score
I've been really happy with the customer service at dyno proven and they are my local shop. They seem confident that they can accomplish what I want with the brute.. I'm just not getting any proof out of the forums. Looking into these bell turbo setups also
I have a Bell ZQSB I'll sell ya! It's been rebuilt by Pius and has never been installed. I even have the T4i mount to go with it. I got tired of waiting for an atmo turbo for my compounds, so now I'm going a different route.

Reaction score
sooo getting rid of my d66 when i have the time. back to stock for me. to the op, quite honestly i wouldn't waste the money. I've heard alot of good things about the qssb and that will be my next turbo. I'm not running super huge injectors, but i find my setup smokey hot and hard to light. just my opinion!
It is no longer a qssb or lasb, they are now hfsb and basb, newer designs

Reaction score
I have a Bell ZQSB I'll sell ya! It's been rebuilt by Pius and has never been installed. I even have the T4i mount to go with it. I got tired of waiting for an atmo turbo for my compounds, so now I'm going a different route.
I'm trying to pm you, I might have a serious buyer for that. I'm over here in Gainesville GA... My tapatalk keeps saying it has stopped every time I try to send you a message

mattman347

Reaction score
The BASB has proven to be a great turbo for up to a 238/100 injector. Lots of reports of it helping with fuel milage and better causing volume than even a 366. Really can't say enough good things about the BASB. Give me call if anyone has any questions on their particular set up and I will try to help point you in the right direction!

Reaction score
The BASB has proven to be a great turbo for up to a 238/100 injector. Lots of reports of it helping with fuel milage and better causing volume than even a 366. Really can't say enough good things about the BASB. Give me call if anyone has any questions on their particular set up and I will try to help point you in the right direction!
Are they being waste gated with 238/100s? In one of these threads someone talked to Pius, and apparently the wheel had a max of 52lbs boost, I guess more for the New billet option. I guess if the drive pressure still isn't too much these 300 frame turbos hold up okay at those boost levels? Assuming your the Matt from full force, what all or have y'all tried and tested this turbo with and what were yalls results?

Reaction score
has anyone been told where the sweet spot of the BASB map is?
That would be interesting info for sure...

I know towing our 30'TT on the interstate, while maintaining 75-80 mph, I'm at about 20lbs boost, 900 on egts. Pulling up hills (not mountains, just foot hills of north ga) and maintaining above speed egts will creep to 1100-1150 at bottom and then taper back down as the turbo spools a little more while continuing the grade. Even the 7% from Franklin to dilsboro NC, (I know, elevation of the Appalachia mountains ant what they are out west) once I'm at the point of maintaining speed (I do this one at 65, except the few sharper corners where you have to slow way down) my egts still settle back at about 1000... So as far as I'm concerned, this turbo is great for what I do. With 3.55s, zf5 and 285/75/16s, I'm right below 2000rpm at 65

mattman347

Reaction score
Are they being waste gated with 238/100s? In one of these threads someone talked to Pius, and apparently the wheel had a max of 52lbs boost, I guess more for the New billet option. I guess if the drive pressure still isn't too much these 300 frame turbos hold up okay at those boost levels? Assuming your the Matt from full force, what all or have y'all tried and tested this turbo with and what were yalls results?

I use to work for full force, now work with Jake. We would like to see boost kept below 50psi for sure with the BASB but even there it is moving some air! 500-550 is doable on the BASB but in small intervals, most times I recommend this turbo for the guy who wants fast spool up, no smoke and uses their truck as a daily driver/tow rig. The guys who want to race or sled pull need to step up into an S400 frame charger for sure. Ill have to get with Jake on the numbers but the drive pressures have been lower with the BASB than with the 366 on a few customers trucks. Bottom line, the BASB is a great turbo and is reliable with the right tuning and small hybrids.

Reaction score
I use to work for full force, now work with Jake. We would like to see boost kept below 50psi for sure with the BASB but even there it is moving some air! 500-550 is doable on the BASB but in small intervals, most times I recommend this turbo for the guy who wants fast spool up, no smoke and uses their truck as a daily driver/tow rig. The guys who want to race or sled pull need to step up into an S400 frame charger for sure. Ill have to get with Jake on the numbers but the drive pressures have been lower with the BASB than with the 366 on a few customers trucks. Bottom line, the BASB is a great turbo and is reliable with the right tuning and small hybrids.

Yes, last time I monitored drive pressure, i was actually 1-2lbs less of drive pressure than I was to boost! And that's measuring boost post intercooler...

mandkole

Reaction score
That would be interesting info for sure...

I know towing our 30'TT on the interstate, while maintaining 75-80 mph, I'm at about 20lbs boost, 900 on egts. Pulling up hills (not mountains, just foot hills of north ga) and maintaining above speed egts will creep to 1100-1150 at bottom and then taper back down as the turbo spools a little more while continuing the grade. Even the 7% from Franklin to dilsboro NC, (I know, elevation of the Appalachia mountains ant what they are out west) once I'm at the point of maintaining speed (I do this one at 65, except the few sharper corners where you have to slow way down) my egts still settle back at about 1000... So as far as I'm concerned, this turbo is great for what I do. With 3.55s, zf5 and 285/75/16s, I'm right below 2000rpm at 65

Your hill experience is legit-- I lived in NC for 5 years and there's plenty of grades. Maybe not extreme enough to tax the cooling system heavily, but they are certainly decent...

For me, running below 2000 and keeping cool on a grade is not possible with the GT42. But, you drop back to 3rd and get it up to 25-2600, its like you threw ice on the EGT gauge and you're getting set back in the seat..lol. Its kinda fun, but very loud and not the way I'd like tow if I had to do it often.

Latest posts

Members online