Brute66 opinions

bruce

Reaction score
I'm having the same bad luck. 200/80's, 38r, WW2, 40hp tow (live tuned)=1300* egts and less speed pulling 10k up a grade than with stock turbo/sticks. And a intermittent rough idle.

What's boost and icp look like? All the live tuning in the world can't fix a mechanical deficiency.

The Brad

Reaction score
What's boost and icp look like? All the live tuning in the world can't fix a mechanical deficiency.

ICP won't go past 40% at 3000psi. Boost about 42 at WOT, 17-19lbs in tow tune at 2500rpm maintaining 1200* Egts. Once spooled, drive pressure is close to 1:1 up to sensor limits (22 psi over boost regulator). Been to 2 different diesel shops and both say it's either the tuning, or injectors. I've logged tons of data with AE. At this point, I'm gonna cut my losses, and go with 175/80's and a BASB.
^^^^ Done hijacking. Hopefully the mention of the BASB makes this less of a hijack.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You could "cut" your losses and wind up in the same boat. Check for drive/boost leaks. Your icp #s look excellent. To be honest that setup should ***kin rip!

It should tow like a beast.

The Brad

Reaction score
You could "cut" your losses and wind up in the same boat. Check for drive/boost leaks. Your icp #s look excellent. To be honest that setup should ***kin rip!

It should tow like a beast.

Leaks? Been there, done that. IH uppipes, no soot anywhere, pressurized the turbo inlet. Maybe the hybrids are just too much to tow with? (Here's where the guys with 300/200's tell me how they're towing 15k at 2000rpm and 1000* egts)

Here's a screen shot towing about 9k up 4-5% grade at 65ish mph. Egts right at 1200 on both banks. The EBP was same as boost right up until I took the pic. I guess my foot moved when I took the pic. Note the tattle tale arrows with ICP and IPR DC.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have 250/200s and I dont have anything in the way of power deficiency towing as you called it.

I have a tow tune but I use the "race" tune all the time. Its been a while but I pulled about 15k with it and I used as much throttle as I cared to and mine was NOT hot...I ran up a 3% grade for 5 miles and it was 900ish degrees at 65mph. My stock injectors would have been 13-1400...

You got something effed up. Your setup should tow better than mine. Well from a tuning standpoint.

V-Ref

Reaction score
200% nozzles....you'll have less PW for the same power....lower EGTs.

I read a post of Dave's at Swamps, where he feels the right decision is either a 30% nozzle or a 200% nozzle are the smart decisions for a street truck.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Just for perspective...In most of my 200% tuning...the pedal is near the floor to get over 3ms of PW...

I read a post of Charles some years back...about how there's ZERO value into dragging out and extending the injection event any longer than is needed...and it clicked for me in my head.

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
OP, sorry for the derail. My vote for you would be a 38R, but then you're probably not saving a whole lot after uppipes and converting everything over to 00-03. If you could swing it, I'd hit up Docbar about his ZQSB. Billy's experience with his Pius turbo sounds like the feedback you'd need about a Pius turbo.

Carolina444

Reaction score
OP, sorry for the derail. My vote for you would be a 38R, but then you're probably not saving a whole lot after uppipes and converting everything over to 00-03. If you could swing it, I'd hit up Docbar about his ZQSB. Billy's experience with his Pius turbo sounds like the feedback you'd need about a Pius turbo.

No worries.. All good info coming out of this post. I guess there's no more need to ask about the brute66. I'm going to continue in Bsab direction

Reaction score
No worries.. All good info coming out of this post. I guess there's no more need to ask about the brute66. I'm going to continue in Bsab direction
I believe you will be very happy with your decision....

It's to bad it's not as easy as going to a lot and test driving everything before you buy, It would have definitely saved me some time and money

Reaction score
Between having experience with a stock turbo, stock billet turbo, original D66, D66 with billet wheel and 1.0, a 38R, and now a BASB, the BASB is definitely my favorite in every way possible, wish I had gone this route in the 02 as well

TyCorr

Reaction score

The 38r has a more useable set of conditions. Pius seems to size things a little tight to overcome spoolup from using jb turbos, to the detriment of top end power if you add any fuel. Not bashing, but the 38r was designed FOR the 7.3 and was got right the first time.

How many turbos has Pius Eberle designated for the 7.3 already. 10? Too much lettering to remember. Garrett made it simple, you remember an r.

Swaan

Reaction score
Pius has a bunch turbos for 7.3 because they all have a specific purpose in mind. T4,t4i, specific HP applications. Therefore you get a turbo that specific to your application. Not a jack of all trades so to speak turbo like the 38r.
But yes. I do agree with you about the stupid letters thou. I do wish he would just call them by there specs like everybody else. It would make IT easier to chose.

Reaction score
I personally don't care what the name is, as long as it does what it's supposed to do, and both the 38r and BASB do that, with my experience the BASB just does so a little better and more efficiently

V-Ref

Reaction score
The 38r has a more useable set of conditions. Pius seems to size things a little tight to overcome spoolup from using jb turbos, to the detriment of top end power if you add any fuel. Not bashing, but the 38r was designed FOR the 7.3 and was got right the first time.

How many turbos has Pius Eberle designated for the 7.3 already. 10? Too much lettering to remember. Garrett made it simple, you remember an r.
Boom! Truth!

How do Limited and Lifetime fit in the same title

Latest posts

Members online