Cam Swap on stock 6.0L....

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Here is the dyno graph from straub

C6282E96-1160-4098-A2A2-5EE3132595DD_zpshswndgrv.png

Straubtech

Reaction score
Looks like the first run was started late and didn't come on to boost until mid pull. That's why the torque was so much higher in the second

First test it kept down shifting and could not start test any lower. Second test engines powerband is much broader and could start test lower.

The added torque and the much wider powerband the cam creates is confirmed by all the customers that are running it. The Warren brothers customer has told them the torque with the camshaft is unreal. Totally different truck.

Straubtech

Reaction score
From what I have seen in the aftermarket diesel and how I have been taught to drive a turbo with exhaust velocity, I feel the cam will drive the charger harder and much quicker. For the guy that wants to work the truck during the week and go drag racing or truck pulling on the weekend this cam is dual purpose and will do both. I will maximize power in the rpm range from a stock tune to a max effort tune as the cam is working with the engine, not against it.

If another benefit is increased fuel mileage and in this case a 29.5% increase then it is even better for the end consumer.

fordboy11

Reaction score
From what I have seen in the aftermarket diesel and how I have been taught to drive a turbo with exhaust velocity, I feel the cam will drive the charger harder and much quicker. For the guy that wants to work the truck during the week and go drag racing or truck pulling on the weekend this cam is dual purpose and will do both. I will maximize power in the rpm range from a stock tune to a max effort tune as the cam is working with the engine, not against it.

If another benefit is increased fuel mileage and in this case a 29.5% increase then it is even better for the end consumer.

The only thing I have in mind for the Cam is since I use my truck strickly for pulling on a normal night the pulling truck is running in the RPM range from 3600-4200 RPM's whats your thoughts on that?

Straubtech

Reaction score
The only thing I have in mind for the Cam is since I use my truck strickly for pulling on a normal night the pulling truck is running in the RPM range from 3600-4200 RPM's whats your thoughts on that?

Good question Matt. The stock head cam for the 6.0 and 6.4 is based on a max rpm of 4000 rpm and stock unported heads. The cam profile is determined by demand. If you want a camshaft designed to concentrate power in a given rpm range that is "out of the box" from normal then a custom cam can be generated.

What the diesel crowd will come to learn is if you don't vary the stroke, don't vary the rpm, and don't vary the cylinder head flow numbers then 1 camshaft profile will street drive, pull a load down the highway, run at the track on Thursday night test and tune, and pull in the stock class at the county fair. Only thing that will change is the tune. The cam is mechanical, it does not need to change.

So anyone that is out of the box, stroked, destroked, higher rpm, custom ported heads then it will take a specific custom camshaft.

Straubtech

Reaction score

How is the customer liking the truck with the camshaft in it?

Canadian Mind

Reaction score

That's a really broad statement. Would you be willing to post your lift/duration numbers so that a comparison can be made?

fordboy11

Reaction score
How is the customer liking the truck with the camshaft in it?

Andy said the kid loves it. the torque comes in a lot lower and comes in very strong. His comparison was like a cummins.

Also ill Be getting ahold of you one of these days and we can get something figured out with a different cam for my ole girl.

Reaction score
Cam is under .360 lift on both intake and exhaust and less than 190 at .050" on both intake and exhaust.

Now guys are going to really be upset that a cam that has less lift than other cams and has already supported over 900hp and made over 1700ftlbs! :thumbsup::jammin:

Reaction score
Fuel good old #2 300file to beat. 6.4 that is but i don't see much of difference unless there is going to be technical difficulty on a 6.0 then i don't see a diff ...

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
Jeezus you just gotta keep bringing up the 6.4L in the 6.0L section don't ya?
Let me explain something to you...
The 6.4 is a common rail type fuel system, with more displacement, as well as stock compound turbos.
A 6.0L is based on the old huei injector system, less cubic inches, and a single turbo.

So stock to stock, a 6.4L is going to make more power and torque from the get-go, and respond better than the 6.0L, when it comes to tuning, and cam replacement.

I say again....THIS IS THE 6.0L SECTION...NOT THE 6.4L SECTION.

Latest posts

Members online