CPS gear contact?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the part numbers listed dont come up on fordparts.com unless the shim kit costs 156 bucks.

anyone know if the cps's for the bigger ih motors like the 466 are the same size physically cuz I found shims for those. for like 6 bucks..

live life full throttle

ncollins64

Reaction score
Not to sound dumb but I'm not up on the 7.3s anymore. Anyways my boss has an 02 with nltd tunes and exhaust and intake. Other than that it is all stock. But he can be driving down the road like normal and the truck will just shut off for no reason so he will pull off and give it a min and restart. Could this be cam sensor issue? The ford place said his is ok but we know how that goes. All fluids are good and he replaced the fuel filter the other day.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Not to sound dumb but I'm not up on the 7.3s anymore. Anyways my boss has an 02 with nltd tunes and exhaust and intake. Other than that it is all stock. But he can be driving down the road like normal and the truck will just shut off for no reason so he will pull off and give it a min and restart. Could this be cam sensor issue? The ford place said his is ok but we know how that goes. All fluids are good and he replaced the fuel filter the other day.

Yes

Billy T.
[email protected]

ncollins64

Reaction score
I haven't seen the truck lately and I don't think he is able to scan codes. I'm just going on what he says but I can take a scanner to him and see what it pulls up next time it happens. Hoping it's a sensor, just figured I'd ask here

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I haven't seen the truck lately and I don't think he is able to scan codes. I'm just going on what he says but I can take a scanner to him and see what it pulls up next time it happens. Hoping it's a sensor, just figured I'd ask here
it will be a stored soft code if it never tripped a cel.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
I personally dont think it would restart more than once maybe if its dying if its the camshaft sensor. When that magnetic field becomes corrupt, its done.

Mine just dies and thats it. Done.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I personally dont think it would restart more than once maybe if its dying if its the camshaft sensor. When that magnetic field becomes corrupt, its done.

Mine just dies and thats it. Done.
whitey started and died 8-10 times with one of the cps's I had in it.. it would start and purr. till it got near 150°... then done, game over, shut down till cooled back off.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats pretty odd if that is the case. My other truck never died, iirc, so I cant say for sure. Hell this one was rock solid dependable until 240k so I cant bitsh too much. If I wouldnt have pissed with it it'd be fine. Left the 175/80s in and had a new oil pan put on and a new stock hpop. I picked a part that has been recurringly screwing shti up for me.

My take on these trucks is this once the biiig oil leaks develop its time to unload them or pay someone to go through the engine at that point.

Arisley

Reaction score
Mine did exactly that. Well, actually, it started by just dying and then firing back up, like it just missed a step or to. Then for a couple days, it would just die, pull over, wait a minute, fire up. Second time it did that to me, I swapped in the spare that I had in my glove box.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Mine did exactly that. Well, actually, it started by just dying and then firing back up, like it just missed a step or to. Then for a couple days, it would just die, pull over, wait a minute, fire up. Second time it did that to me, I swapped in the spare that I had in my glove box.
My bosses truck is doing that exact same thing. Guess it may be the sensor. I'll go by and get one for him just in case. Is it best to just go by the dealer and get one.

Arisley

Reaction score
I think it is. Seems like people were putting a 466 CPS in a 7.3 for a while. SEEMS like, not positive. I have killed off a lot of brain cells since then.

rusty1161

Reaction score

rusty1161

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the shims in that Ebay kit.

Rusty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Members online