Do's and Don'ts of stretched tires

swinky

Reaction score
I don't understand mud terrains on a mall crawler but that has become excepted so nobody knocks it. I agree the 14 wides would look better with at least a 13.50 but I still like it with the 12.50s. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, that chunking sound gets old. I have a set of baja claws on a different set of rims in the garage but the damn road noise is pretty bad.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
ok3lf7.gif

MINK

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider an 11.5ish on a 12 wide wheel to be much stretch. We all still remember you bitching out on the 14 wide wheels.
Stay tuned.....maybe you can copy that setup of mine next?
Mink has forum groupies LOL
#allmybitchesloveme
These threads always get stupid for some reason.

I would think as long as you are running over 30 psi on the tire you will have a very hard time having a bead come unseated from the wheel. I think just using some common sense goes along way. Yes with 14 wides and a 305 wide tire is probably a bit wider than i would recomend running, i think tire wear could suffer as well but im not sure.

The guys to talk to would be @ twisted, all them guys run 12-14 wides all the time, i think allot of what they run are smaller wheels tho so there is a little more sidewall to work with.

1) Yes always stupid, I tend to go with it
2) Bingo, common sense and alittle air never hurts!
3) Daryl and Buddy know what's up with many setups, they have first hand experience unlike most so I agree forsure on that recommendation!
Yea, that chunking sound gets old. I have a set of baja claws on a different set of rims in the garage but the damn road noise is pretty bad.
Redneck.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Stay tuned.....maybe you can copy that setup of mine next?

If there were more wheels that didn't have a bunch of gay angles and actually had a smooth lip, I would have gotten something different. Not all of us can be an innovator. My tires are bigger though...... :poke:

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I don't understand mud terrains on a mall crawler but that has become excepted so nobody knocks it. I agree the 14 wides would look better with at least a 13.50 but I still like it with the 12.50s. To each their own.

I do... Every chance I get. They shouldn't even make low profile mud tires...

swinky

Reaction score
I just noticed you said mud grapplers. Just don't do it with those tires please

swinky

Reaction score
I do... Every chance I get. They shouldn't even make low profile mud tires...

Why? Does a big wheel really effect a trucks off road ability? Maybe to a certain extent. But I promise you nobody ever got stuck with an mt on a 20 and told themselves "if only I had grandpas 16s I would've made it"

A lot of these low profile tires have an E load rating as well.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Why? Does a big wheel really effect a trucks off road ability? Maybe to a certain extent. But I promise you nobody ever got stuck with an mt on a 20 and told themselves "if only I had grandpas 16s I would've made it"

A lot of these low profile tires have an E load rating as well.

You can't air down a low profile tire to widen the tread. An aired down 315 gives you a much wider footprint. Not having your sidewall stretched helps protect the tire from sidewall punctures, and protects the edge of the rim. You also need a certain amount of flex in the sidewall to allow the tire to flex and conform around obstacles on the trail. And if you're a poser who don't hit the trail... you got no need to lift the vehicle...

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
my truck sees plenty of mud with a 35/12.50/20 MTs with 20x12.. goes just as good as the grandpa 18x9s and 35/12.50s MTs I had before. if not better. personally I like my truck to look better than walker Texas rangers' truck from the 90s rolling on 16s, when cleaned up. but that's just me.

you should be able to make it work no problem OP.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

swinky

Reaction score
You can't air down a low profile tire to widen the tread. An aired down 315 gives you a much wider footprint. Not having your sidewall stretched helps protect the tire from sidewall punctures, and protects the edge of the rim. You also need a certain amount of flex in the sidewall to allow the tire to flex and conform around obstacles on the trail. And if you're a poser who don't hit the trail... you got no need to lift the vehicle...

I wasn't aware a lift was required for 33s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Sysx

Reaction score
17x14 on 33x12.5 I believe

Finally from a phone that fits my hands!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387826656061.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387826656061.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 334

dsberman94

Reaction score
I think a good point to think about if your truly hitting trails is cost if a wheel. Grandpa wheels have a lot of sidewall to the tire if you hit a large rock with some force. Bend a grandpa wheel and there's more for cheap. Bend a 20x14 and it's gonna be expensive to replace or fix.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
but if rather pay to repair my nice wheels and my truck look good rather than ride around with a less good looking truck just because I'm scared I'm gonna hurt my nice wheels.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I wasn't aware a lift was required for 33s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

On a large truck like a Super Duty, it's not.

Problem is, if you want to take such a large heavy truck off road, you will be very limited on the terrain you can tackle without a lift. Your breakover angle is bad on such a long vehicle. I realize that a Super duty is not a Jeep, but I have the best of both worlds as I can go on most trails as long as I can fit between the trees, and I still have a large cargo capacity.

As an off road enthusiast, I love to see a vehicle that is built to be capable on thee trail. Seeing a vehicle that is build up as a "Mall Crawler" is hilarious, and sad at the same time.

Yes, I know, to each his own... well for me, that means slamming anyone who takes a nice truck and ruins it.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
but if rather pay to repair my nice wheels and my truck look good rather than ride around with a less good looking truck just because I'm scared I'm gonna hurt my nice wheels.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Looking good is subjective.. and it won't get you un-stuck.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Looking good is basically up to the owner. I think my truck looks great exactly the way it is in my avatar. I think many trucks look absolutely hideous with all the afternarket wheels and other junk on them. Josh mink's truck however I think looks awesome stanced out the way it is. Just don't stance your truck then put a 4" fender flare at every tire because now you've ruined it. But again looking good is personal preference as to what you think looks good.

Latest posts

Members online