Engines out, what to do

Viking

Reaction score
I would either solder it with some high temp or have someone who is a good TIG welder have at it where its spot welded.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
The 97' motor I'm working on had the pic up tube welded about 3/4 of the way around the tube, not just spot welded. I figured its fine so we're leaving it as is

JD3020

Reaction score
Mine has 2 itty bitty spot welds, honestly i'm surprised that they haven't already let go.

I'm anxious to tear my old engine down though, once i get this one put together and in the truck. Pretty sure it had aeration issues, as it always had a choppy idle when hot, especially after a hard run. Be interesting to see if the tube is intact, or broke. Although i mainly wanna see how bad the pistons are in it. It spent prolly a year with AD's in a race tune, and no gauges. Gotta love being young and dumb. LOL

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
That's weird on the pick up tube, maybe the guy building them got paid by the tube back then lol. On the crank it looks the same on mine too
e5y2u3un.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
git er tore down already. Very curious in the airetion issue since I have the same problem...

Stroker#66

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363726342.621557.jpg
I'm in the same boat as you. Getting ready to weld the cam gear install welded oil jets and stick all my parts on this engine.

JD3020

Reaction score
You've got the heads off, so you've gone farther than i am. LOL

Here's one of my cooling jets, all the others look identical to it. Gonna just leave em as is for now as they seem to be solid.
Image03162013160405_zpsc5fa1618.jpg

And here's a random pic of a manifold that came with my engine.

Image03102013165314_zps9f4c100f.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
Good call. Get all your stuff put on there, do the few little things we been talking about. Stuff it in the truck and drive it like you stole it.

JD3020

Reaction score
Well i'm not calling my truck International Disaster for nothing. Getting ready to paint the front cover tonight, and noticed a small nick down around the water pump area. Didn't look like anything major. Flip it over and wipe the oil off, and the whole back of it is cracked. :fustrate: On most trucks it'd prolly hold just fine, but i'm sure it'd turn into an oil fountain on my truck.

No biggie as i have my old engine to rob parts off of, but i now have a trashed front cover. And its gonna be a huge PITA to tear the old engine down as i don't have a stand to put it on, just gonna have to let it hang from the forklift. Guess i'll just have to let the cover sit in the corner until i'm ready to start mocking up a HPO system.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The OBS cooling jets are smaller then the SD one's. Not sure when the change was, but I noticed the same thing. I installed RiffRaff's welded jets and thought something was up. So we looked at the three OBS blocks I have and they were the same, the SD block was the larger ones.

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
The OBS cooling jets are smaller then the SD one's. Not sure when the change was, but I noticed the same thing. I installed RiffRaff's welded jets and thought something was up. So we looked at the three OBS blocks I have and they were the same, the SD block was the larger ones.

Will the sd jets work in a obs?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online