Fuel sump or 5/8 pickup?

2000wa250

Reaction score
Going to be going with a Sump when I can afford it. Makes a lot more sense to me. Not to mention theres the heat issue, which I am sure is minimal, but if you are returning hot diesel to the top of the tank, and drawing fuel from the bottom, you should be getting cooler fuel towards the engine.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Make certain the bottom of the straw, is the correct distance from the bottom of the tank. It's a tight balance, between ensuring the straw isn't so low it starves the motor, and not so high off the bottom, that 1/4 tank of fuel is the new "empty".

So what is the sweet spot measurement ?

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Make certain the bottom of the straw, is the correct distance from the bottom of the tank. It's a tight balance, between ensuring the straw isn't so low it starves the motor, and not so high off the bottom, that 1/4 tank of fuel is the new "empty".

Sump and you don't have to worry about any of that

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

neverkickn

Reaction score
If you need tools for hard tube I have a rigid flaring tool and a bender. The swagelok place here in Sherwood has 035 wall stainless for cheap. Auto Sports Center in NLR should have all the flare firrings you need if you are going with the Aeroquip braided fuel hose.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I put a 5/8 straw in my tank from BigJake and i held it up about 1/2" from the bottom of the tank. I still have the foot but im not planning on using it.

Wayne

Reaction score
the sweet spot measurement for our fuel system kits is 1/4" shorter than the tip of a fully relaxed stock pickup configuration. we never have 1/4 tank issues, and never have pulled the bottom against the pickup tube.

TyCorr

Reaction score
the sweet spot measurement for our fuel system kits is 1/4" shorter than the tip of a fully relaxed stock pickup configuration. we never have 1/4 tank issues, and never have pulled the bottom against the pickup tube.

So, with that in mind, the foot isnt necessary? I retained mine but didnt plan to use it anymore.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Been looking at sumps today, and I am going to order Beans Sump tommorow. Price is average with everyone else, and has the added drain port. Just can't decide if i want to go ahead and drop the tank or not.

02BigD

Reaction score
If you haven't done the Harpoon mod, I would suggest dropping it. With a sump, on my ccsb, can comfortably let it run low enough to put 31 gallons in it. Dropped the tank a second time to adjust the fuel gauge to reflect the added capacity.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you haven't done the Harpoon mod, I would suggest dropping it. With a sump, on my ccsb, can comfortably let it run low enough to put 31 gallons in it. Dropped the tank a second time to adjust the fuel gauge to reflect the added capacity.

Resistor? Or adjust the float?

Edit:Godd€¥nit, you guys now im gonna "look into" a sump. Just bought bellowed uppies today. Tanya is gonna kill me if I dont.get this truck.back together with all the dough Im spending. She has been a saint thus far.

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
May be easier to drop the tank since your truck is lifted if you want to harpoon it. Or if you have a lift or a few guys around, you could always pull the bed.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I'll probably just drop the tank and harpoon it, install the sump, and clean out the tank. Truck is right at 300,000 miles so can't hurt to clean the tank.

Wayne

Reaction score
So, with that in mind, the foot isnt necessary? I retained mine but didnt plan to use it anymore.
The foot doesn't flow as much as a 5/8" ID pipe, so no way.

Been looking at sumps today, and I am going to order Beans Sump tommorow. Price is average with everyone else, and has the added drain port. Just can't decide if i want to go ahead and drop the tank or not.

Let me know when that's done, and you're in town. I could sure use some free fuel with easy access.:thumbsup:

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
The foot doesn't flow as much as a 5/8" ID pipe, so no way.

Let me know when that's done, and you're in town. I could sure use some free fuel with easy access.:thumbsup:

I highly doubt I ever drain the tank another day. Just saying, like in the event I possibly get bad diesel and I'm forced to drain it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'll probably just drop the tank and harpoon it, install the sump, and clean out the tank. Truck is right at 300,000 miles so can't hurt to clean the tank.

Im not trying to dissuade you from dropping and cleaning your tank. I want to share my experience. I removed my bed to install all my in-tank mods. I opted to use the 5/8 pickup tube. I removed the float and pickup assembly and there was grass, no shti, in the screen on the pickup foot, it was still green too. But there was nothing else in the tank. :shrug: Tank was spotless at 265kmiles but I wanna know how the grass got in it. Ironically when I rebuilt my fuel bowl in 2010 there was so much dirt in it that the drain was.clogged shut. I had to.chisel the dirt out :eek: But.hey the tank is gleaming white on the inside :D

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I just cant bring myself to cut the bottom of my tank. IMHO there is not one damn thing wrong with a 5/8" pick up.

Plus with the way I have my transfer tank set up I am afraid the extra weight and pressure of a constantly FULL fuel tank may cause leak issues.

Latest posts

Members online