Fuel sump or 5/8 pickup?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just cant bring myself to cut the bottom of my tank. IMHO there is not one damn thing wrong with a 5/8" pick up.

Plus with the way I have my transfer tank set up I am afraid the extra weight and pressure of a constantly FULL fuel tank may cause leak issues.

I hope you are right! Cuz after looking into it, there is.no.way im putting a penetration in my tank.either. I just dont see how that 5/8 isnt good enough?

Thing im most leary of is the walbro fuel pump.

Fwiw, I placed my pickup tube.about 1/2" off the bottom of the.tank. Hoping its the best spot. Im not sure ill dick with the float even if it allows me more.capacity. Im changing so much shti all at once Im not sure Ill know.this truck anymore,lol.

Last edited:

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I hope you are right! Cuz after looking into it, there is.no.way im putting a penetration in my tank.either. I just dont see how that 5/8 isnt good enough?

Fwiw, I placed my pickup tube.about 1/2" off the bottom of the.tank. Hoping its the best spot. Im not sure ill dick with the float even if it allows me more.capacity. Im changing so much shti all at once Im not sure Ill know.this truck anymore,lol.

I just had a walbro quit on me. That is why I am doing all this. Because I have a brand new fuel lab pump waiting to install.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just had a walbro quit on me. That is why I am doing all this. Because I have a brand new fuel lab pump waiting to install.

How long was it in service? Years? Mileage?

Do you think dual stockers would be better? I dont know, and.following good.advice on not.bashing a product until tested, arent the fuel lab pumps.known for.failing? Like frequently? Maybe thats forum hearsay?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
How long was it in service? Years? Mileage?

Do you think dual stockers would be better? I dont know, and.following good.advice on not.bashing a product until tested, arent the fuel lab pumps.known for.failing? Like frequently? Maybe thats forum hearsay?

Air Dogs and Fass have been the issue...

I have had one walbro fail after about 60k and 2 years.

02BigD

Reaction score
FWIW, I've got 3.5 years and 50,000+ miles on both the sump and A1000 pump with no issue.

Arisley

Reaction score

That is the biggest reason mine is not on there. I was worried about the bottom of the tank sucking up to the tube, that is why I used the foot. I removed the screen, cut more and wider notches around the edges, no worry about flow. Siphon takes care of any flow issues, the pump does not have to suck the fuel up hill, siphon pushes it over the hill. Never run out of fuel, but I have had the needle about half a needle above the E. When I filled it up, I put almost 41 gallons in my 38 gallon tank, filled to where I lost a bit of it when I put my fuel cap on.

Nasty7.3

Reaction score
I have a 5/8 pick up tube on mine and if installed right you wont have any problems with sucking air at quarter of a tank but when I do the next fuel system it will have a sump and see how I like it

TyCorr

Reaction score
That is the biggest reason mine is not on there. I was worried about the bottom of the tank sucking up to the tube, that is why I used the foot. I removed the screen, cut more and wider notches around the edges, no worry about flow. Siphon takes care of any flow issues, the pump does not have to suck the fuel up hill, siphon pushes it over the hill. Never run out of fuel, but I have had the needle about half a needle above the E. When I filled it up, I put almost 41 gallons in my 38 gallon tank, filled to where I lost a bit of it when I put my fuel cap on.

Most ive ever.got in mine is 33 gal. And it was below E. It is a.38 gallon tank.though. Im gonna take a look at the float as well.

Addicted4

Reaction score
If you use a 5/8 pickup you will have positive pressure against the pump once the pump turns on and it starts pulling the fuel. Think of a syphon hose it works the same way, once fuel is flowing the only way to stop it is put pressure against the end of the hose or shut the pump off. Sumps work great but there not for everyone. If done correctly they do the same thing 5/8 vs sump.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
As to why the walbro quit I'm not positive. I used this pump as a temporary pump for my hybrids. I have ran this same walbro pump for about 4-5yrs in racing and have seen numerous failures out of them. That is why I am going to the fuel lab pump. Because from what I have seen is it's not if, but when will the walbro fail. I have not seen these pumps have a long life expectancy, and we have done loads of testing and running with these pumps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
As to why the walbro quit I'm not positive. I used this pump as a temporary pump for my hybrids. I have ran this same walbro pump for about 4-5yrs in racing and have seen numerous failures out of them. That is why I am going to the fuel lab pump. Because from what I have seen is it's not if, but when will the walbro fail. I have not seen these pumps have a long life expectancy, and we have done loads of testing and running with these pumps.

Hmmm? And the plot thickens. I used a walbro BECAUSE I thought it would last. I did hear the fuelab pumps.were crapping out, maybe from Jake@irate? My next step if this.walbro died was to get two stockers or the aeromotive a1000.

Keep it coming!

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I just finished ordering the last of my parts this afternoon from Jake@ Irate. Will be installing the sump and Jake's competition fuel system next week.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just finished ordering the last of my parts this afternoon from Jake@ Irate. Will be installing the sump and Jake's competition fuel system next week.

Yea, I have that too. What about the pump though? Fuelab or aeromotive?

Latest posts

Members online