Going 38r in the 02

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Bringing this back, I've got the 38r, rr wheel, pedistal rebuild kit, and IH bellowed uppipes sitting on my workbench, any helpful hints or suggestions to make anything easier for the swap? Obviously penetrating oil for several days prior, anything else, haven't really been under the hood of the SD's much
I did the penetrating oil when I first did the 38r and didn't strip a single bolt. The hardest part for me was the passenger up pipe bolts at the manifold, I found it was easier to use an extension over the frame/ right behind the front tire to get them loose. Other than that it's not a hard job at all.
It took me 7 hrs to do 38r, bellowed uppipes, pedestal and turbine flange start to finish and I had never pulled a turbo before that.
Now I can pull the turbo in 45min

Also I read over a few times before I got started
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/upp.php

Last edited:

pilot4life

Reaction score
PB blaster and a couple pillows over the hood latch to soften the time you will spend there.

I was able to unbolt the driver side up pipe from the driver side fender well. Then from underneath you can access the collector bolts driver side with a few long extensions. Unbolt the passenger side manifold bolts from the passenger side wheel well. I left the passenger side up pipe connected to the collector up top and pulled the collector with the passenger side up pipe still connected.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you dont have to disassemble the uppies. remove turbo, cut or remove manifold to up pipe bolts and manuver it around till it comes out. same with install of bellowed uppies. put them together on the bench and tq them tight and put them in the truck. put new manifold to up pipe bolts on loosely. install turbo on pedistal and up pipe collector. then tighten the manifold to uppies. use lots of antiseize at the mani to uppie connection so the pipes can move easy to form around the manifold.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1409106121860.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409106161484.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409106182694.jpg

Just a few pics of the stock 38r wheel next to riff raff wheel

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is anybody else watching this suspecting the billet wheel having a role in egts being higher? I'm off by 150 degrees and it's the only thing left. It's quiet, it does make more boost but I've replaced boots, pressure tested the charge system, and even changed hpo pumps.

Reaction score
Pulled the turbo this afternoon, was pretty simple. Pulled ic pipes, then "y". Then pulled the turbo and uppipes all as one, none of the bolts gave me problems coming loose

Reaction score
Also pulled pedestal, and will rebuild using rebuild kit tomorrow during my lunch break, parents wanted to retain the ebpv due to using it as an exhaust brake when towing in mountains

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is anybody else watching this suspecting the billet wheel having a role in egts being higher? I'm off by 150 degrees and it's the only thing left. It's quiet, it does make more boost but I've replaced boots, pressure tested the charge system, and even changed hpo pumps.
how is your alternator doing? oem idm? I would bet there is a another issue you cant see that is increasing your egt's... i can't see the billet wheel that moves more air causing higher egts... you sure you have the uppie collector tight against the turbo with the nipple in the lineup hole?
Also pulled pedestal, and will rebuild using rebuild kit tomorrow during my lunch break, parents wanted to retain the ebpv due to using it as an exhaust brake when towing in mountains
nice!! easier then it seamed aint it? stock valve springs or shimmed 910s?

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score

how is your alternator doing? oem idm? I would bet there is a another issue you cant see that is increasing your egt's... i can't see the billet wheel that moves more air causing higher egts... you sure you have the uppie collector tight against the turbo with the nipple in the lineup hole?

live life full throttle
Mine felt like it was under the turbo all the time, down shifting pulling an empty trailer where it used to pull in OD no problem
Put the stock 38R wheel back Bam back in business
It did sound like it was moving a ton of air at higher boost and it may be better at "peak" boost but for me it didn't seem better

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine felt like it was under the turbo all the time, down shifting pulling an empty trailer where it used to pull in OD no problem
Put the stock 38R wheel back Bam back in business
It did sound like it was moving a ton of air at higher boost and it may be better at "peak" boost but for me it didn't seem better

No kidding!? Man, I felt crazy pondering it. But it just seems to be. God blessed. I'm going to have to switch it out.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
No kidding!? Man, I felt crazy pondering it. But it just seems to be. God blessed. I'm going to have to switch it out.
Switch it out I bet you find similar results
At 0-15psi in OD where my truck spends most of it's time the stock wheel pulls like a train

TyCorr

Reaction score
Switch it out I bet you find similar results
At 0-15psi in OD where my truck spends most of it's time the stock wheel pulls like a train

My truck has been doing it for a while. I went from stock motor and trans with an srp1.1 to 250/200, twisted trans, and a stock oil pump and that part hasn't changed really although it's cooler with the hybrids.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
My truck has been doing it for a while. I went from stock motor and trans with an srp1.1 to 250/200, twisted trans, and a stock oil pump and that part hasn't changed really although it's cooler with the hybrids.
It'll be interesting what yours does
Let us know when you swap the turbo wheels

fastersteve

Reaction score

live life full throttle

How would the alternator affect EGTs?

Latest posts

Members online