idles rough when warm

Seabass

Reaction score
Bought a "bigger" aftermarket HPOP, truck ran great for 3 months then it started idling rough after operating temp. Replaced ICP (leaking), swapped IPR, replaced all o-rings. ICP at idle is 465-510. O-rings weren't torn but they looked old. Truck has 180K, e99. If the pump is bad, is it bad all the time?

On a side note, ALL right side injectors are AC code and ALL left side injectors are AD code, weird. I've had the truck since 07 at 90k miles

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Unless they are the original injectors, the numbers on the solenoids mean nothing at all. how long has it been since the HPOP swap?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Does idle icp seem low to anyone else though? I don't think I've ever seen mine go under 495 at idle and seeing a number that low is rare.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Well, I should say "did" when I had the stock 17* pump. I have the T-500 now and haven't tested it much.

I just know because I have the hpo system PIDs on the insight. If I have to stop somewhere quick and let the truck idle I tend to look at the insight screen.

mandkole

Reaction score
Whats the DC at idle ICP when real hot? Scanner pressure seems on the low side, although likely at command. The only other thing you could do would be to pressurize and verify sealing of the injectors in the rails. Maybe theres oil blowing by a poppet or two. Take the spouts off before pressurizing to get a good look at them.

Seabass

Reaction score
just ran a cylinder contribution self-test, 5 and 7 popped up. I know 0n 6,0L when you have a bad injector it can idle rough until it warms up. Can a 7.3 injector be fine when cold but act up when warm??

Seabass

Reaction score
guess ill swap em around...If the miss follows, i got a good excuse to get 250/100's

mandkole

Reaction score
I'm only referring to a possible change in idle behavior from cold to hot oil. It may not show up in a code. If you're going to make the effort to pull the covers, I'd pressurize the rail first and look for inj oil leaks. That will identify any potential hydraulic issues that become highlighted w hot oil.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
idle icp is fine unless its jumping/fluctuating around more than 50 psi when warm.

what hpop did you switch to?

how many miles on oil?

please for the love of god/country/family, whatever you believe in, dump the rochitta out and get some chevron delo 15/40 in there...

valvoline is ok too..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
According to the oil dork sites, t6 is one of the best generic syn oils.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Couldnt tell ya...i dont use it. It was testing well for oil shear in heui trucks. Especially 6l. It was reformulated in 2011. Thats only the t6.

Id almost bet its better than 95% of dino oils in a 7.3. Barring delo400 and pennzoil 15-40.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.