My MPD 66

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Ive started my own Thread so i didnt further hijack MPD's thread. Got everything done and picked the truck up today. On the way home the truck drove great but not as i expected. Im running erics tunes and at the time had the xtreme street on the truck with firmer stock shifts. cruising at 70 boost was between 4-5psi and Egts were right at 800. rolling into the throttle until the pedal hit the floor i was only seeing about 35psi of boost. Got home and started messing with the tuning. Loaded the Extreme Race and Race Lock then took it out for another test drive. Completely different truck. Ran like a raped ape until it locks up, Then the turbo chirps hard and dumps boost, tryed getting into the throttle slowly and it wont build more then 5psi of boost, look behind me and the roads gone, completely black. Retuned it back to where i had it leaving houston and same story, Ive sense retuned it a good 5 times with the same results. Im not sure whether its my tuning, the wastegate, or just simply too much fuel. Other then that its a great kit, looks and performs very nicely. Little laggier then i expected but not terrible and still street-able. I would recommend a muffler if your running a stack because this thing will cause hearing lose. Any thoughts as to what might be happening would be greatly appreciated. Ill post pics tomorrow and Vids when i can.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Welcome to owning a truck with a single...

Flat out nothing is wrong with your tuning, but it has everything to do with the trucks locking the converter, and shifting into overdrive at 60 mph. If you keep your foot all the way in the throttle, it will shift thru it and be ok, but anything under half throttle and forget about it. Its going to take a bit of a learning curve to get used to trust me

Do you have erics stuff with the later lock and later shifting? That should help

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
You have a wastegate? Is the gate opening? Have you tried it with gate closed completely? I would run a tune that doesn't lock the torque converter until later. Early lock is going to kill the charger.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Im sending the Livewire in to have the update installed. Right now the truck locks up at 45-50mph and barely touching the pedal results in blacked out lanes and no boost. What confuses me is that It went from running great, hardly no lag, and No problems with lock up, to minor tuning changes and everythings ass backwards. Almost as if the tunes overlapped.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Im sending the Livewire in to have the update installed. Right now the truck locks up at 45-50mph and barely touching the pedal results in blacked out lanes and no boost. What confuses me is that It went from running great, hardly no lag, and No problems with lock up, to minor tuning changes and everythings ass backwards. Almost as if the tunes overlapped.

xstreet should be better as far as the smoke goes, but honestly, sounds pretty much like what i delt with when i had a single. almost no throttle still equals smoke.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
What were you expecting to hit for boost?

Not sure exactly, MPD said their kit was making 50-53. At one point earlier i saw 42 which didnt seem too bad.

You have a wastegate? Is the gate opening? Have you tried it with gate closed completely? I would run a tune that doesn't lock the torque converter until later. Early lock is going to kill the charger.

Yes its gated. Couldnt tell you if the gates opening as i am new to the wastegate game. As for lock up, i agree later lock would help a ton.

my truck never made over 42psi on a single... ever

Interesting. I saw 42 also.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
You should be seeing close to 50 psi with that turbo Colton make sure that gate isn't coming open

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
It takes some time to get.the throttle right i can drive mine with not so much smoke on the race tune. And my turbo is way bigger.

Sent from my Droid Charge using TAPTALK

Dzchey21

Reaction score
dont get me wrong it could be the gate, or anything else really, just sharing that it sounds alot like what i experienced

Super08Duty

Reaction score
xstreet should be better as far as the smoke goes, but honestly, sounds pretty much like what i delt with when i had a single. almost no throttle still equals smoke.

Xstreet seems to be the highest tune i can run if i want to be able to see behind me. So having the converter lockup later would be about all i can do?

That's what I was thinking Dustin. I'd say your the man when it comes to this single turbo stuff.

Agreed, thats why i was looking forward to his replys lol

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah later lock or later shift into overdrive. I still struggle with that a little with this big vgt but its better.

Definatly look into the gate situation and make sure there is not an issue there, but i always had to run xstreet to drive around town, race was impossible

I hope you find something to make it spool better, hope its just a mistake on the install

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I think the gate is the number one issue at the moment, if it's opening that it is. I bet it is. Trans tuning will be the next issue to address.

Colton, do you happen to have the old Spartan 250 tune? The tune that doesn't early lock.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
So how would i know if the gates opening to soon or at all. And how would i go about adjusting it? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to learn wastegates.

I understand getting used to the throttle, thats just part of it. Id also like to state that in no way am i trying to down talk this kit, I couldnt be happier with it and i think the guys at MPD are awesome. I know that theres always random complications when modding these motors.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I think the gate is the number one issue at the moment, if it's opening that it is. I bet it is. Trans tuning will be the next issue to address.

Colton, do you happen to have the old Spartan 250 tune? The tune that doesn't early lock.

No idea if i still have it, my old computer with all my tunes was destroyed when a water line busted and flooded my house. Pretty sure the only 250 i have is the newer one.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
So how would i know if the gates opening to soon or at all. And how would i go about adjusting it? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to learn wastegates.

I understand getting used to the throttle, thats just part of it. Id also like to state that in no way am i trying to down talk this kit, I couldnt be happier with it and i think the guys at MPD are awesome. I know that theres always random complications when modding these motors.

telling if the gate is opening is pretty tough. What i usually recomend is putting full boost to the top of the gate, no boost to the side port, and just see if that makes any changes.

Latest posts

Members online