My truck crapped the bed today

DocBar

Reaction score
I'm worried about the white smoke. Bad hpop line wouldn't make it smoke would it ?
With the white smoke, it seems to be down to an injector issue or a turbo issue. With the oil it puked out, I'm leaning towards the turbo. No forced air induction should equal unburnt fuel aqnd that small an amount of oil could be from the turbo.

My biggest question is the ticking noise. You can kind of hear it at the end of the video. It only shows up at higher RPM's, though. It sounds almost exactly like a lifter ticking. Not deep enough to be a rod knocking.

Swaan

Reaction score
Hate to say it but that's a piston problem. I'ts got a dead hole, you can hear it when you rev it up. You either scored or cracked a piston. The smoke is from very low compresion in that hole and unburnt fuel. The noise is the piston now slapping around in the cylinder. The oil is probley from the exsesive crank case presure from the blowby and blew out the rear main seal.
Sorry for your loss.

DocBar

Reaction score
Hate to say it but that's a piston problem. I'ts got a dead hole, you can hear it when you rev it up. You either scored or cracked a piston. The smoke is from very low compresion in that hole and unburnt fuel. The noise is the piston now slapping around in the cylinder. The oil is probley from the exsesive crank case presure from the blowby and blew out the rear main seal.
Sorry for your loss.
Well aren't you the bearer of good and happy news!!! :pimp:

I can't disagree with you, but I surely hope you're wrong.

I'm sorry about my loss, too. If this is the case, looks like I have some decisions to make. Rebuild or buy newer.:puke:

Swaan

Reaction score
I know, I'm sorry but I'm pertty sure that's your problem.
Just to test my theory , take your filler cap off the valve cover. It should be huffing bad out the hole when it's running.

DocBar

Reaction score
I know, I'm sorry but I'm pertty sure that's your problem.
Just to test my theory , take your filler cap off the valve cover. It should be huffing bad out the hole when it's running.
I'll do that tomorrow. Right now, I'm drinking my sorrows away. If it is, there will be some "new" stuff for sale in the classifieds. I think I'll just go ahead and get a 6.7 so I can have fun with all the newer goodies that are out there.

I'll throw a stock motor in and trade it in or sell it myself.

Swaan

Reaction score
Oil filler cap test, checking turbo for shaft play, and checking the exhaust for oil will be the simplest checks

I'm sorry but tell me how a turbo gives you a dead cylinder and a tick or piston slap. And oil coming from inside the bell housing is nothing to do with turbo.
His turbos the least of his worries right now. :doh:

Swaan

Reaction score
The only other thing it could be is a cracked nozzle on a injector but the oil loss out the rear main is pointing me towards the piston failure. Have some one rev the engine with filler cap off and if it chuffs you got your answer.

DocBar

Reaction score
The only other thing it could be is a cracked nozzle on a injector but the oil loss out the rear main is pointing me towards the piston failure. Have some one rev the engine with filler cap off and if it chuffs you got your answer.
I'll post a vid of this tomorrow. I'm also concerned about the rear main seal. I'll also try to post pics of the oil I have in the valley.

I have coated pistons, so I wonder if a cracked/broken nozzle led to this. I haven't been happy with the truck sionce the injector/tuning change. It's ran very erradically. I've talked to Matt about this and I've put about 1K miles on it (with a 600 mile round trip involved).

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm sorry but tell me how a turbo gives you a dead cylinder and a tick or piston slap. And oil coming from inside the bell housing is nothing to do with turbo.
His turbos the least of his worries right now. :doh:

Dude, this isn't the 6.4 section where we see a cracked piston every week. I never said that's not a posibillity, but you just immediatley jumped to the worst possible conclusion. The turbo could have physically broken one of the housings and oil come out, he could have an oil leak somewhere in the valley, rear main leak, etc. 7.3's have a hole from the back of the valley that drains into the bell housing. The big ass injectors he has also won't idle perfect

02BigD

Reaction score
Dude, this isn't the 6.4 section where we see a cracked piston every week. I never said that's not a posibillity, but you just immediatley jumped to the worst possible conclusion. The turbo could have physically broken one of the housings and oil come out, he could have an oil leak somewhere in the valley, rear main leak, etc. 7.3's have a hole from the back of the valley that drains into the bell housing. The big ass injectors he has also won't idle perfect

Everything you mention, doesn't cover the sound when he revs it up...

pontiacross

Reaction score
I bet you cracked a injector nozzle. seen it quite a few times on dt466 and 530's. tic or nock, huge amounts of smoke, raw fuel smell, and fuel dripping out the exhaust ( usually looks like oil because it mixes with soot) if you run it very long it could end up with a melted piston though. you can here the turbo spooling in the video and usually if they put that much oil in the exhaust to make it smoke like that they don't spin very good anymore LOL the fuel or oil you are leaking is probably coming from a small leak in an uppipe and running down the transmission

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
I bet you cracked a injector nozzle. seen it quite a few times on dt466 and 530's. tic or nock, huge amounts of smoke, raw fuel smell, and fuel dripping out the exhaust ( usually looks like oil because it mixes with soot) if you run it very long it could end up with a melted piston though. you can here the turbo spooling in the video and usually if they put that much oil in the exhaust to make it smoke like that they don't spin very good anymore LOL the fuel or oil you are leaking is probably coming from a small leak in an uppipe and running down the transmission
The oil did seem "watered down". More info tomorrow.

Swaan

Reaction score
Geez I hope it's just a cracked nozzle. I do know with a cracked nozzle they will knock like that too from pre detonation. Good posibility for sure. Have good look maybe that oil you saw is really just fuel. There again the blow by test will tell what's going on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.