My truck crapped the bed today

dsberman94

Reaction score
Motor or trans depends on what tools I have. If I have a lift and a trans jack I'm pulling the trans. If I don't have a lift I will own or borrow an engine hoist. Pulled my trans once. Never again. Also gonna have more angles to work with with motor out.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Auto is easier than a manual too I'd think. Never pulled an auto but the hardest thing on my 5s was getting input shaft lined up and bolted in

DocBar

Reaction score
Motor or trans depends on what tools I have. If I have a lift and a trans jack I'm pulling the trans. If I don't have a lift I will own or borrow an engine hoist. Pulled my trans once. Never again. Also gonna have more angles to work with with motor out.
Tranny's are funny. Experience is the most important thing to me. Pull one a couple of times, and it gets to be easy. I can pull and reinstall a TH350/400 in an hour or so.

Pulling a motor is way more involved and so many more things have to be disconnected.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Someone I go to school with currently pulled his trans 4 times in his driveway. It was a 4r100. There were 3 or 4 of them and they got quicker each time. By the last time one guy couldn't sleep so he went out to do it at like 6am and when the rest of them woke up at 7 it was laying on the ground and the guy already had breakfast cooking for the rest of them.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Someone I go to school with currently pulled his trans 4 times in his driveway. It was a 4r100. There were 3 or 4 of them and they got quicker each time. By the last time one guy couldn't sleep so he went out to do it at like 6am and when the rest of them woke up at 7 it was laying on the ground and the guy already had breakfast cooking for the rest of them.

Just depends on which way you're better at and what tools are at your disposal. Id pull the motor but I had some serious trans issues when we did mine. Someone stripped a fitting so it now has a npt fitting on it. Don't know if that's an approved fix or not but it's working.

DocBar

Reaction score
Just depends on which way you're better at and what tools are at your disposal. Id pull the motor but I had some serious trans issues when we did mine. Someone stripped a fitting so it now has a npt fitting on it. Don't know if that's an approved fix or not but it's working.
Basic wrenches are needed for pulling the trans.... It shouldn't even be a question when it comes to tools. A floor jack and some plywood will get you by if you don't have a trans jack. I see no comparison between the two. I will ALWAYS pull a tranny before I pull a motor, if given a choice.

DocBar

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old set with over 100k on them. I was told they had a bad batch of 200 nozzles a while back. I don't know if it's true or what the deal is.
Mine are FFD remans that I bought off of a member and had modified. I'll depend on each company's rep to get a fair outcome.

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old set with over 100k on them. I was told they had a bad batch of 200 nozzles a while back. I don't know if it's true or what the deal is.

From what I've been reading 200s with a 468 turbo is a ticking time bomb. Maybe it's a tuning issue.

DocBar

Reaction score
From what I've been reading 200s with a 468 turbo is a ticking time bomb. Maybe it's a tuning issue.
Maybe. My issue seems to be a mechanical issue with an injector. My thoughts would be leaning towards nozzle/injector failures, if what Matt says is true.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Buddy of mine recently had a 200 nozzle go bad. They hardly had any miles but were built back around the time of the bad batch. I never had a prob with my 200's when i ran em. They were circa 2008 though.

DocBar

Reaction score
Buddy of mine recently had a 200 nozzle go bad. They hardly had any miles but were built back around the time of the bad batch. I never had a prob with my 200's when i ran em. They were circa 2008 though.
I had these converted to 400/200's in 2012. Is that when there was a bad batch?

Arisley

Reaction score
If it is hydrolocked, check for a bent rod. A piece of coat hanger dropped in the glow plug hole. When the piston is at TDC, measure length of exposed wire. Repeat for all pistons. A bent rod will have less coat hanger protruding from the Glow plug hole.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Mine are FFD remans that I bought off of a member and had modified. I'll depend on each company's rep to get a fair outcome.

I wouldn't say the nozzle failure depends on the injector builders rep as it's not there fault the nozzle is failing.

V-Ref

Reaction score
If it is hydrolocked, check for a bent rod. A piece of coat hanger dropped in the glow plug hole. When the piston is at TDC, measure length of exposed wire. Repeat for all pistons. A bent rod will have less coat hanger protruding from the Glow plug hole.

Good tip...be careful not to bend the chamber portion of your coat hangar...got a scare out of doing this too myself....recommend some safety wire or a plastic straw instead of a coat hangar

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.