new to the site....cam question?

goodie85

Reaction score
well as the title says im new to the site, was a member to PSN but just got sick of all the smart*** comments and the no info related posts. Also a member of Powerstroke.org and they seem to help but not like i've seen on this site already, i tried the search function but came up a little empty. My mods that i have done are straight pipe stock exhaust and thats damn near about it, besides the lift and big wheels and tires. My question is how can i build a extremely strong reliable truck that can go across the world and back with no issues. Has anyone tried gearheads stage one cam on a completely stock truck? hows it run? what tunes does everyone like where i can call and ask newbie questions and not get a smart*** remark, what exhaust and intake do you guys like best? looking for somewhere in that 400hp range that is very reliable..........sorry for such a long post I hate to bring up reoccurring questions but im new and just trying to get my feet wet......thanks in advance

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Alot of work to change out cams on a stock engine in my opinion.

You have to pull the motor, drop the pan, HPOP, front cover, and some of your valve train to remove it.

For 400hp a set of injectors and a turbo will get you there.

However if you are dead set on a stage 1 cam, I have not read a bad thing about matts cams.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
:welcome: to PSA!

They should be along shortly to help, its pretty good here, you hardly ever see the BS comments. And as long as you can search for the easy stuff, its all easy going.

And like dieselboy said. A good turbo and some supporting mods should get you there easily, especially with some good tunes. And to improve reliability, it doesnt take much to do it. Alot of those support mods help there.

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
Alot of work to change out cams on a stock engine in my opinion.

You have to pull the motor, drop the pan, HPOP, front cover, and some of your valve train to remove it.

For 400hp a set of injectors and a turbo will get you there.

However if you are dead set on a stage 1 cam, I have not read a bad thing about matts cams.

YUP!

goodie85

Reaction score
my truck is a 01 with FORGED before i bought it I had our local powerstroke mechanic check to see what rods it had knowing i wanted around 4-450 hp, thanks for the non bs comments and help, so basically start with the stickied thread for 400-500rwhp and go from there? those write ups are great but was just concerned with reliability, i plan to learn alot about these 7.3's especially since i plan to keep mine for at least the next 5 years, the thing only has 80,000 miles on her

neverkickn

Reaction score
my truck is a 01 with FORGED before i bought it I had our local powerstroke mechanic check to see what rods it had knowing i wanted around 4-450 hp, thanks for the non bs comments and help, so basically start with the stickied thread for 400-500rwhp and go from there? those write ups are great but was just concerned with reliability, i plan to learn alot about these 7.3's especially since i plan to keep mine for at least the next 5 years, the thing only has 80,000 miles on her

Unless you really trust the guy I would confirm that for sure if you plan on going anything largish on the injectors. All you have to do is pull the plug that is next the oil filter on the block and shine a light in.

goodie85

Reaction score
Unless you really trust the guy I would confirm that for sure if you plan on going anything largish on the injectors. All you have to do is pull the plug that is next the oil filter on the block and shine a light in.

next oil change ill be sure to check myself, im due for one soo thatll be checked out pretty soon

dietoremain

Reaction score
Welcome to PSA, I agree this is the BEST site on the web for PSD's.. friendly people and loads of info.

And I'd have to agree no need for a cam thats a long way down the road. My vote goes for some hybrids and T4 mount turbo tho.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
My sd has stage twos stock turbo and stock fuel system and did 420 in a daily drive program. It really doesnt take much. Matts cam are awesome though, run em in my puller.

Charles

Reaction score
38R with a 1.15 housing, just a regular, uncut hybrid with a 200EDM nozzle, fuel delivery pump of your choice and someone competent to tune the truck and it will make a clean 400 rwhp and be very crisp and responsive.

With a few keystrokes it will go near or over 500rwhp if you wished. If tuned appropriately, it would be extremely reliable.

Camshafts are not where the power is for a person not wanting to alter the range the engine operates in, which a person looking for 450ish hp isn't looking to do.

goodie85

Reaction score
thank you all for the good info, i think im just gunna start with exhaust, intake, chip, and fuel delivery then in the summer go with a 38R and hybrid 200's, p.s. the truck has a stage three tranny from certified

goodie85

Reaction score
the warranty is 70,000miles/or 5 years our local trans guy swears by them but who knows, really wanted a BTS but went a grand cheaper instead

bruce

Reaction score
might have been a grand cheaper in the beginnin but i can guarantee it wont be a grand cheaper in the long run

goodie85

Reaction score
yeah every says that but making 400-450 horse on a transmission rated to 200-400 hp over stock should hold up just fine, if not thats why they have warranty and from what the local guy (good friend as well) said he has never had one come back, and other trannys hes had fail from certified, certified has always been good about their warranty

Charles

Reaction score
yeah every says that but making 400-450 horse on a transmission rated to 200-400 hp over stock should hold up just fine, if not thats why they have warranty and from what the local guy (good friend as well) said he has never had one come back, and other trannys hes had fail from certified, certified has always been good about their warranty

How many people actually running that exact trans do you know that pulled in excess of 400rwhp on a dynojet?

Point being.... very, very few people actually make power. Whereas tons of people run around everyday with 2 to 300hp trucks.

A trans that would last forever at 300 to 350rwhp will often times fail over and over again in very short order with an engine actually putting say 450hp to the ground.

90% of people that think they have over 400hp are making a bit over 300.

I wouldn't worry about the trans. If you ever make 400 to 450rwhp and it bites it, just walk away and get something from a shop that builds them behind serious engines every day.

goodie85

Reaction score
How many people actually running that exact trans do you know that pulled in excess of 400rwhp on a dynojet?

Point being.... very, very few people actually make power. Whereas tons of people run around everyday with 2 to 300hp trucks.

A trans that would last forever at 300 to 350rwhp will often times fail over and over again in very short order with an engine actually putting say 450hp to the ground.

90% of people that think they have over 400hp are making a bit over 300.

I wouldn't worry about the trans. If you ever make 400 to 450rwhp and it bites it, just walk away and get something from a shop that builds them behind serious engines every day.

theres 2 guys that run them around here and the one was dynoed at dynojet here in watertown, SD the one had over 400 from what the guy said and his mods were exhaust, intake, tuner, different injectors and the gt38r, and DIY RR... so you be the judge, he never told me what he had for injectors just some stage 1's....the other one rollin around town is just like mine, pretty much stock.....either way if it does go ill have the warranty rebuild it sell it to our local trans guy and then buy a BTS.....not to worried about it though honestly

ToMang07

Reaction score
theres 2 guys that run them around here and the one was dynoed at dynojet here in watertown, SD the one had over 400 from what the guy said and his mods were exhaust, intake, tuner, different injectors and the gt38r, and DIY RR... so you be the judge, he never told me what he had for injectors just some stage 1's....the other one rollin around town is just like mine, pretty much stock.....either way if it does go ill have the warranty rebuild it sell it to our local trans guy and then buy a BTS.....not to worried about it though honestly

Not being a smart @$$... but I didn't think you could get much above 350 on stage 1's. :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online