OIL FILTER STUCK ON!!!

02BigD

Reaction score
Sawzall and a chisel.

^^^This guy always knows what he's talking about.

Just to spell it out for the OP...cut the rest of the filter housing you can, remove the filter material, and use a chisel to work on the core support that is threaded onto the cooler stud, lefty loosey.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Ive been doing at least one oil change a day for the last 6 years and have never seen one stuck like that! Cut it off with a sawzall and use a chisel attachment on a air hammer to screw the threads off.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I honestly would have removed the back end of the oil cooler by now. Good chance it'll be coming off anyway.

That strap wrench appears to be broke the wrong way for it to have been used to try to loosen the filter. I'm thinking you tightened even more.

There's an easy way but I wanna see where this goes.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I honestly would have removed the back end of the oil cooler by now. Good chance it'll be coming off anyway.

That strap wrench appears to be broke the wrong way for it to have been used to try to loosen the filter. I'm thinking you tightened even more.

There's an easy way but I wanna see where this goes.

That was a piece of chit from advanced autoparts it was glued together I paid like 7 bucks for it then I ended up at harbor freight to find the correct one.LOL

I am giving it 10 mins tomorrow then going to the sawzall and some air tools.:cursing:

Or would it be easier to pull the back end of cooler off instead of the hassle.

Arisley

Reaction score
That was a piece of chit from advanced autoparts it was glued together I paid like 7 bucks for it then I ended up at harbor freight to find the correct one.LOL

I am giving it 10 mins tomorrow then going to the sawzall and some air tools.:cursing:

Or would it be easier to pull the back end of cooler off instead of the hassle.

Do both.

AXLEburg

Reaction score
at this point it sounds cross threaded...Do you have enough clearance or filter left to use a pipe wrench on it?

I know this goes without saying but I'd shove that filter up the asssss of who ever changed your oil last

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Just get an oil cooler repair kit, pull the oil cooler off. Get that thing on a bench where you can work on it and not tear anything else up. Clean the threads up on the mount before putting a filter back on it. Replace the o-rings in the oil cooler, reinstall and be done. Don't forget to put oil in when you finish.