Options for Compounds with a 38R

TyCorr

Reaction score
Those trucks are only making 40 or 50hp more than what I suggested to be the max for a 7.3 vintage superduty, yet they have coolers on top of coolers on top of coolers. Hell, the diffs come with finned cooling cover plates. Fuel coolers, big trans coolers, hell they don't even offer the ZF6 anymore because..... yep.... it couldn't hang....

I'm sure that loaded to around 30,000lbs and running down the interstate for a few hours the driveline on those is getting a little upset even still.

I'd be interested to see what they are really making. I'll tell you one thing, they have a lot more gear. But power isn't what people think. If someone says a 12 dmax with 400hp is the bees knees, I feel for them. Granted most diesels wind up tuned with airflow enhancements which might make a huge difference, but my brand new truck is running stone stock and its not 300 hp towing. Not even close. Unless you murder the pedal it's not.much different than a tuned 7.3 in capability. What I've learned quickly since running 175/100s and a 38with custom tunes is the truck(my 7.3) will pull much easier, harder than stock but it's getting hot faster everywhere. Not to sound retarded but my truck stock with gauges and 100 hp banks chip, you know a one trick tune, pulled up to the point where it wouldn't hurt anything but pulled just a little harder than stock. I'd say t was really about 60hp.

The 7.3 in any form will outperform most others if you need to back something.heavy with control. The other day, I backed a dump trailer with 10k lbs of sand in it over a curb and up a driveway. It very easily shoved the load over the curb and continued pushing said load up the drive controlled. No mashing the pedal and then letting off and then hitting the brakes. My main bitch with the dmax? The low-end grunt isn't there. It requires judicious application of throttle to initiate movement. 4lo to pull 12k lbs of trailer up steep.driveways gets old quick.

I'm sorry, I'm blathering. The old dinosaur tows like nobodies business though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I do. LOL Hammer down with a 36' gooseneck with a truck or two on the trailer.... I enter interstates at traffic speed, I never ever loose speed going uphill - sometimes I even accellerate going uphill because of a tuning hiccup that it actually demands more fuel than the pump can deliver at low engine speeds - so you hammer it, it downshifts, the engine turns faster, and you accelerate uphill. Ask Matt_P, Mink, or anyone else that was in the HRT Roadside Rescue tow truck when they got rescued from their return trip home from BDP's Dyno event.

Your truck just may be more enhanced than most others. :D I am not opposed to people putting the mules through their paces but on most days where I'm driving around loaded on 355 or 294 to go around the city I'm just trying to keep enough space so I don't.shove six cars into each other because somebody squeezed in front of me.

Jomax

Reaction score
I do. LOL Hammer down with a 36' gooseneck with a truck or two on the trailer.... I enter interstates at traffic speed, I never ever loose speed going uphill - sometimes I even accellerate going uphill because of a tuning hiccup that it actually demands more fuel than the pump can deliver at low engine speeds - so you hammer it, it downshifts, the engine turns faster, and you accelerate uphill. Ask Matt_P, Mink, or anyone else that was in the HRT Roadside Rescue tow truck when they got rescued from their return trip home from BDP's Dyno event.

What do you have done to your truck??

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

TyCorr

Reaction score
What do you have done to your truck??

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

It's a dmax with compounds and I'm fairly certain he was putting.a solid axle under it. I have also heard that it makes a few hp. LOL....

Charles

Reaction score
Really, we don't need much horsepower for continuous towing. It only takes 250 hp to move 80k lbs at 55mph down the highway, and 400 hp to move it at 75. Say you maintain 65 mph, you're only looking at ~325-350 horsepower needed. To move 80k lbs. No way the driveline or brakes could handle that for a sustained period of time, but the horsepower would be there. Really, as soon as you hit the 7.3 SD, the horsepower hit the point where you didn't NEED more. After that you just got acceleration bonuses.

You don't sound like you've spent much time on a hilly interstate pulling a load of hay or decent piece of equipment with a stock superduty, lol.

I run 65 to 75mph in the 550 loaded with 22 round bales. Our bone stock dually has a hard time maintaining 55mph on the hills flat-footed with 8 BALES! If I actually loaded the trailer up I doub't it would make it out of second gear on a hill, and the thing would be toast in no time screaming like that.

And you want to shoot yourself each time you have to slow down, or God-forbid come to a complete stop somewhere and actually get going again in the pos. All kinds of racket, roaring fans and rpm but no ass.

That extra 100rwhp makes allllll the difference. Take on off, bring the rpm back down and tow.

For reference, our 550 has a 38R with a 1.15 and a set of 300cc hybrids with 100% nozzles running 2900psi ICP and 2.45ms of pulsewidth at WOT and with the cruise set, that truck goes WOT on EVERY HILL when loaded with hay, and still drops speed flat to the floor.

Last edited:

farm boy

Reaction score
You don't sound like you've spent much time on a hilly interstate pulling a load of hay or decent piece of equipment with a stock superduty, lol.

I run 65 to 75mph in the 550 loaded with 22 round bales. Our bone stock dually has a hard time maintaining 55mph on the hills flat-footed with 8 BALES!

And you want to shoot yourself each time you have to slow down, or God-forbid come to a complete stop somewhere and actually get going again in the pos. All kinds of racket, roaring fans and rpm but no ass.

That extra 100rwhp makes allllll the difference.

Good lord. No wonder why you keep going through transmissions and bearings/axles. What kind of trailer are you using behind that 550 that is rated for that much weight?

I know 14, 5x5 rolls on my truck is a LOAD!

Poor F550...

Sounds like something like this is in your future...

fetch_file

L9000 we had was a good truck. The 7psd manual was ok. Great for pulling small dozers, backhoes, etc...

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Good lord. No wonder why you keep going through transmissions and bearings/axles. What kind of trailer are you using behind that 550 that is rated for that much weight?

Poor F550...

Chucky isn't the only one loaded like that - back when I was making hay a load on the trailer was about 10 ton on my 36' gooseneck loaded two bales high (3x3x8 squares) or loaded 3 high on the 24' gooseneck - about the same weight (plus bales on the neck). I couldn't tell you how many hundreds of loads I have hauled like that - distances ranging from 2 miles to probably 200 miles in a pickup - bump it up to 600 miles or so when I was running the Chevy C60 Lo-Pro (which SUCKED ALL AROUND - my dmax has more power and stops better - but is "less" legal).

Charles

Reaction score

Poor F550...

Sounds like something like this is in your future...

fetch_file

L9000 we had was a good truck. The 7psd manual was ok. Great for pulling small dozers, backhoes, etc...

We bale 4x5 so they are easier to haul since we have to move them over 100 miles.

I don't know what a 4x5 weighs, but the trailer is rated to 22,000 gross and it weighs 6750 empty, leaving 15,250 for hay. At 22 bales each bale would have to be just less than 700lbs, which I think is totally practical.

But maybe not?

What does an average 4x5 weigh? The tractor doesn't seem to give them much credit.

farm boy

Reaction score
We estimate our 5x5 rounds @ 1k lbs. I haul on a 30 ft dual tandem. Est~14k on the trailer is enough for my 3/4 ton.

I guess you are legit with your weight. I was thinking maybe the bales weighed more. And 4' wide bales are definitely much easier to haul...

You will be happy for sure if you step up to a small day cab truck. If just for the air brakes alone... Once the electric brakes get hot, they tend to start sucking.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
What does an average 4x5 weigh? The tractor doesn't seem to give them much credit.

Honestly - it comes down to hay type and density of the bale - if you're packing the bales tight - they could be 700 pounds - but I've seen two different operators bale in the same field on the same day and one had 500 pound bales and one had 800 pound bales.

I know on average the big squares I was running was about 700 pounds each - but they pack much denser than the round bales ever do.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You will be happy for sure if you step up to a small day cab truck. If just for the air brakes alone... Once the electric brakes get hot, they tend to start sucking.

My 36' trailer is electric over hydraulic disc brakes - its AWESOME. Plugs into any pickup truck with a proportional electric brake controller and works.

Charles

Reaction score
Honestly - it comes down to hay type and density of the bale - if you're packing the bales tight - they could be 700 pounds - but I've seen two different operators bale in the same field on the same day and one had 500 pound bales and one had 800 pound bales.

I know on average the big squares I was running was about 700 pounds each - but they pack much denser than the round bales ever do.

Yeah, I don't think they are that heavy. We let the hay lay down till it's dry and tedder it a lot. We do bale them tight so they stay together well, but the grass is just not that dense.

I think I'm below the rating of the trailer, especially when we bale them a little closer to 4x4 or less.

If I was maxing the trailer, that would mean I was running down the road at 32,000+ gross, which I just don't see. I think they're pretty light comparatively.

Last load I brought back:

2707097840082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

When we had the 5 foot baler I used to haul 14 bales on that trailer.

Jomax

Reaction score
It's a dmax with compounds and I'm fairly certain he was putting.a solid axle under it. I have also heard that it makes a few hp. LOL....

Wow, a duramax?

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

Jomax

Reaction score

I run 65 to 75mph in the 550 loaded with 22 round bales. Our bone stock dually has a hard time maintaining 55mph on the hills flat-footed with 8 BALES! If I actually loaded the trailer up I doub't it would make it out of second gear on a hill, and the thing would be toast in no time screaming like that.

That extra 100rwhp makes allllll the difference. Take on off, bring the rpm back down and tow.

For reference, our 550 has a 38R with a 1.15 and a set of 300cc hybrids with 100% nozzles running 2900psi ICP and 2.45ms of pulsewidth at WOT and with the cruise set, that truck goes WOT on EVERY HILL when loaded with hay, and still drops speed flat to the floor.

Any reason you went with hybrids and not stage ones??

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

DocBar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charles

Charles, maybe you just need to get Jason to tune your truck. :poke: LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Not just any Duramax. The Official PSA Duramax. LOL

Build thread here.

I'm also a big Ford fan/owner as well so don't fret none. LOL I bought a Dmax because I needed a new truck in 2006 and I sure wasn't going to buy a 6.0.
Can't blame you on not wanting a 6leaker

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

Buffalo444

Reaction score

I said need. lol. It would move it.... just not fast. lol :pimp:

Latest posts

Members online