Options for Compounds with a 38R

DocBar

Reaction score
Well, unless those.ambient temps are the.tipping point I cant corroborate what happened to you. My 265k mile super duty towed for at least 225k miles. I only had trans heat issues but not.while on the highway.
My gauge readings were off from my AE reading by 10-15 degrees, on the cooler side. Does that make any sense?

TyCorr

Reaction score
So the gauges were.showing cooler temps? I dont know anything about ae so I.cant say.

My cts reads the same sensors as ae would though and Im more confident in those numbers than what my vatometer gauges are "reading". I know a lot of.guys run them but I think.they are ballpark guesses of a gauge. Isspro is what to.get if you really want good readings.

DocBar

Reaction score
So the gauges were.showing cooler temps? I dont know anything about ae so I.cant say.

My cts reads the same sensors as ae would though and Im more confident in those numbers than what my vatometer gauges are "reading". I know a lot of.guys run them but I think.they are ballpark guesses of a gauge. Isspro is what to.get if you really want good readings.
My gauges consistently read about 15* lower than what AE was showing. Coolant temp was a bit higher than trans temp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My trans temp.gauge is.frikkin whacked. Ive gotten new sending units a new.gauge. Its just crap. I.can flog it.through.some winding hills and get the trans up to.200° and then hit the road and.bring them.back.down to.165° and my gauge will go from 150-160. Guessing its not real.accurate. Im thinking about ditching the trans temp gauge for.fuel.pressure and adding a fourth to watch water temp. I can watch the rest on the cts.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Do you have the factory cooler?

I was under the impression the factory radiator wasn't a good as the larger 6.0 and 6.4 cooler and IIRC there were some right ups on the mishimoto upgrade.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do you have the factory cooler?

I was under the impression the factory radiator wasn't a good as the larger 6.0 and 6.4 cooler and IIRC there were some right ups on the mishimoto upgrade.

Factory cooler? No. Im not worried about the temps just the inaccuracy of the gauges. My trans always ran warmer. Usually around 180. All my buddies talk.about 140 or 160 but they never tow and they have dinky rubber.

DocBar

Reaction score
So you get those turbo's yet? Any progress?
Still waiting on Pius. I talked to him last week and the gqssb that he's had since last April or May was acting as a door stop and I still didn't get a price for either turbo. He was supposed to give me the pricing this week but didn't call and I was too busy to call him.

I thought I had everything but the turbos but, after talking to him last week, I'm thinking about changing how I waste gate the system. I'm still going to use mechanical control of the waste gates, though. I just don't have the patience or experience to try and use the electronic controls.

The current set up is running like a spotted assed ape, so I'm in no real hurry. I just want to get them in and tuned before I go to my next project. That will be in Virginia, so I get to pull my 5er from El Centro, Ca to Virginia. Should be a damned good test.

DocBar

Reaction score
UPDATE: Finally getting somewhere. My ZQSSB shipped yesterday and I'm expecting my 1st stage turbo to ship in a couple of weeks. I'm getting to play guinea pig for a new primary turbo that Pius wants to try. He said it should spool up super quick.

I got my 400/200's installed and my chip sent off to Matt to get reburned. I'm gonna buy a Hydra next but saving money for my Vegas trip on the 3-14.

I'm thinking of wastegating each up pipe with 45mm gates and the primary with a 60mm gate. Does anyone have experience with gating both up pipes?
I'm waiting to hear back from Jake@Irate to see if I can just send my T4i mount to him and have him fab it up.

It's been a long haul trying to get this pieced together, but it's looking better now.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
instead of a gate on each up-pipe, why not a crossover pipe, with a gate on that?

to me, seems that would be the best way to have both banks remain even.

also would be alot easier to tune.

JDub

Reaction score
There is room on the back of the hypermax collector to add a gate...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
There is room on the back of the hypermax collector to add a gate...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

x2

I milled a slot and flattened a 2" tube a bit put it in the slot and welded it up. Just milled right through the "HYPERMAX" if I remember correctly.

DocBar

Reaction score
instead of a gate on each up-pipe, why not a crossover pipe, with a gate on that?

to me, seems that would be the best way to have both banks remain even.

also would be alot easier to tune.
Everything I'm doing that's turbo related is based on what Pius recommends. I'm planning on a 2 or 3 stage nitrous system (leaning hard towards 3 stages) to put the motor up to around 1Krwhp and I want to make sure I have adequate gating. I'd rather over do it than under do it on the gating.

Would it be an issue to just vent the drivers side up pipe to atmosphere?

Latest posts

Members online